Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dec. 21, 2012- The end of the Mayan Calander- End of the world?

88Comrade2000

The Mayan calanders ends on 12/21/12. So what happens then? Goodbye earth? War? Enlightenment? Aliens? Disasters?
The rapture....muahahahahahah.:silly:

Seriously, maybe they saw no need to go further? :whoknows:

Therefore don't worry about tomorrow, because tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. :)

What's odd is that a lot of "end of the world" dates are also around 2012, and not just the Mayan calendar. But, we'll probably say good-bye to Earth because of War, followed by a period of Enlightment, and then the Aliens invade, which disaster for all of us.

And there we go!

Pretending that I know what I'm talking about...the Mayan were pretty smart astronomers.

Believe it or not, using their calendar identifies 21/12/2012 correctly as the date on which the Sun, on its path through space, crosses the line of the Galactic equator. So there.

The Galactic Equator?!!...well, you know those picture you see of other galaxies and they have that black band across the middle of the galaxy? well thats the equator of the galaxy. Like other galaxies, the suns motion means that it will be in line with our galaxies equator at that date. The Mayans obviously saw this as a major astronomical event.

Winter solstice suns were crucial in old times - it told people that on the one hand they were in the darkest time of the year but also that the dark winter was coming to an end and moving towards longer days.

Pretending that I know what I'm talking about...the Mayan were pretty smart astronomers.

Believe it or not, using their calendar identifies 21/12/2012 correctly as the date on which the Sun, on its path through space, crosses the line of the Galactic equator. So there.

The Galactic Equator?!!...well, you know those picture you see of other galaxies and they have that black band across the middle of the galaxy? well thats the equator of the galaxy. Like other galaxies, the suns motion means that it will be in line with our galaxies equator at that date. The Mayans obviously saw this as a major astronomical event.

Winter solstice suns were crucial in old times - it told people that on the one hand they were in the darkest time of the year but also that the dark winter was coming to an end and moving towards longer days.

I like my theory better...

I don't really know much either although (I think) the first few planets will be in a line that day and many people seem to think it will cause an extraordinary amount of gravitational force.

Well sure all that astronomy stuff was important back then because they were growing their own food. We don't care about that now cuz we can just go to Giant and buy stuff.

Cortez is a good example of how dangerous it is to believe all this end-of-the-world, its in the book, we're all doomed stuff.

According to legend, the Aztec leader Moctezuma believed that Cortez, and his wee Spanish army looking for gold, was their God, Quetzacoatl, returning to the homleand as predicted. Thinking he is a God, Moctezuma does nothing to stop him until its too late. Result - utter carnage and disaster for the Aztecs and central america becomes part of the Spanish empire.

Archived