Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is your purpose in life?

Zguy28

This is a serious question we all must ask ourselves at some point: What am I here for?

I challenge everyone to examine themselves and post what you think your purpose is in life and why.

(And please, let's try to be serious and no Rick Warren jokes. ;))

To crush my enemies, see them driven before me, and to hear the lamentation of the women... :paranoid:

Actually, I'm really not 100% certain at 34. I find the more I experience on a daily basis, the more I question what it is I do. Not everything, but some things here and there.

Ultimately, I see my purpose as trying to achieve all of my goals and dreams, while staying as positive and happy as possible. Ultimately, to live a life that I can look back on when I am elderly and say, "damn, I had a good run." I want to travel across the world, see the seven wonders; walk on the Great Wall; and maybe become enlightened in one sense or another. I think not knowing my purpose in life makes it all the more liveable.

I have always believed that my purpose in life and everybodies was to make it a little better. I believe the purpose of we living is to recreate Eden or paradice on Earth. We had it. We blew it. We were given free will to figure out how to recreate it.

I think that we need to add something to the world via our innovation, sweat, altruism, or efforts to create a ripple that makes the place a wee bit better. I don't think it is possible to reach the goal of perfection (being defined in this case as a place of absolute benevolence) within my lifetime or even within myself, but I think that it is worth striving towards. Frankly, I don't know that humans will ever evolve to a point where they can look beyond their own needs and hates... but, that's my ultimate idealistic aspiration.

I have always believed that my purpose in life and everybodies was to make it a little better. I believe the purpose of we living is to recreate Eden or paradice on Earth. We had it. We blew it. We were given free will to figure out how to recreate it.

I think that we need to add something to the world via our innovation, sweat, altruism, or efforts to create a ripple that makes the place a wee bit better. I don't think it is possible to reach the goal of perfection (being defined in this case as a place of absolute benevolence) within my lifetime or even within myself, but I think that it is worth striving towards. Frankly, I don't know that humans will ever evolve to a point where they can look beyond their own needs and hates... but, that's my ultimate idealistic aspiration.

Well said.

Basically, love your neighbor as you love yourself. :)

Ultimately, I see my purpose as trying to achieve all of my goals and dreams, while staying as positive and happy as possible. Ultimately, to live a life that I can look back on when I am elderly and say, "damn, I had a good run." I want to travel across the world, see the seven wonders; walk on the Great Wall; and maybe become enlightened in one sense or another. I think not knowing my purpose in life makes it all the more liveable.
A self-centered purpose? Interesting. Diametrically opposed to Burgold. ;)

I don't feel I have a "purpose" in life. Or any purpose that I may have is created by my own mind, not by any divine order. I think life is pretty random and seemingly pointless in a grand sense, but I would say that if there's anything that's driven me it's the expression of my own soul (whatever that might be). But then I worry that artistic endeavors are too self-involved and I should be spending time trying to make the world a better place (whatever that might be). At the least I try to treat people with respect and dignity. I try to empathize with the plights of people I don't know or understand. Most times I fall far short of this goal. It's easy to ignore the rest of the world when your tiny little life becomes the whole world.

A self-centered purpose? Interesting. Diametrically opposed to Burgold. ;)

I think you'll also find that I'm one of the friendliest and least judgemental people you'll find. I suppose being kind to others is something I just to, as I don't view it as a goal. I completely agree with the sentiments of Burgold's answer, however.

Sounds corny but I am here to save lives. I told myself that if I was fortunate enough to survive cancer then I would dedicate my life to helping those in extremely unfortunate situations (trauma, sickness) Thats why I'm studying to be a paramedic now and hope to be in the field in the next year.

I keep thinking of this question and different interpretations and answers are popping up in my head again. It seems as I have been gifted with a great musicians ear and the ability to play a variety of instruments. Perhaps, a purpose of mine is to play music, and possibly make a difference in someone's life doing so. I know I've already helped in shaping a few kid's middle school and highschool years by giving them an outlet to express their emotion while watching my band, so even that's a huge deal to me.

Sounds corny but I am here to save lives. I told myself that if I was fortunate enough to survive cancer then I would dedicate my life to helping those in extremely unfortunate situations (trauma, sickness) Thats why I'm studying to be a paramedic now and hope to be in the field in the next year.
As a volunteer? A noble calling to be sure.
Makes sense to me.
You violated my rules.
I keep thinking of this question and different interpretations and answers are popping up in my head again. It seems as I have been gifted with a great musicians ear and the ability to play a variety of instruments. Perhaps, a purpose of mine is to play music, and possibly make a difference in someone's life doing so. I know I've already helped in shaping a few kid's middle school and highschool years by giving them an outlet to express their emotion while watching my band, so even that's a huge deal to me.
Perhaps it is your purpose. Many of us confuse our purpose with our desires.
To question everything and accept nothing.
I didn't expect anything less from you. ;)
Not even free samples?
There might be a catch.
To bed Natalie Portman, Jessica Alba, and Scarlett Johanssen.
See above response to comrade.
This one is fitting for most of you:

mistakes.jpg

Indeed, how many countless lives have been saved through the death of others?
To make sure my son has a better opportunity in life than I have had...
What do you consider "better"?

Archived