Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What CC gives you the best bang for your buck?

skinfan2k

Just thoughts on what people have here and what credit cards offers the best benefits. I have american express blue and love it but need a visa card that could handle all other major purchases. Any ideas or recommendations? I was looked at United Visa Plus or SouthWest. Also, i would prefer to have a low annual fee. I have a Lexus CC now and it doesn't offer me jack!!

I have a USAA credit card with cash back reward. Also I know not everyone can become a USAA member, but the more stuff you have with them insurance, credit card, etc. the more discounts you can get.

Do you get much back? I'm a USAA member and was thinking about getting a card for groceries and gas.

Do you get much back? I'm a USAA member and was thinking about getting a card for groceries and gas.

It is 1.25% of purchases. Also, it is a mastercard, but they also offer an amex. They have a ton of different reward programs and may have one just for gas.

I use the Citi Premier Pass. $75 annual membership fee. If you travel alot or for whatever reason you buy airplane tickets using your credit card, this is by far the greatest credit card ever invented!

cant get into details right now since I am at work but if you are interested I can write more about it when I get home.

It really depends on the bang you're trying to get.

The AMEX Costco CC is a great deal IF your spending falls into the following categories:

•Earn 3% cash back for gasoline, for annual gasoline purchases of up to $3,000 (1% thereafter), 3% for restaurants, 2% for travel, and 1% everywhere else, including Costco

Plus, your annual fee at Costco means you pay no annual fee for the CC. Pretty sweet deal. They pay you back once a year.

I have a 2% flat cash back Visa card from FIA Card Services. No annual fee. It is the best deal I have ever found, but I don't know how long it will last. It used to be affiliated with Charles Schwab, but it is no longer, and I don't know if you even can sign up for it any more.

There is no benefit as good as cash back. None.

We use the Amex Costco card for most of our purchases. As mentioned, zero annual fee and we get a wad of cash back annually.

We also have zero annual fee CapitalOne Visa card that offers cash back. We use it for the places that don't take Amex. We can redeem the cash earned anytime. I typically apply it against the latest monthly statement.

Bank of America Visa. 1% cashback on all purchases. 3% on gas. no fee. and you can deposit straight into an account of yours once you reach x amount. Just started with them not sure of the details regarding necessary amounts.

Also Discover has 5% cashback, but they alternate what you can use it on. For example one month its gas, one month its travel/hotels, one month its restaurants. Once you get $25 you get a discover giftcard, with $50 you can do either the card or towards your bill.

The Fatwallet Finance Forums are the best place by far for this info, assuming a basic level of responsibility with credit and willpower (Remember, if nothing else, that multiple studies have shown that people have a psychological tendency to spend more with plastic than cash, which is why stores push their store card so hard, usually, along with finance charges and fees).

There's a sticky there called "What Credit Card should I choose?" Read it. There's an updatable quick summary.

I use the Citi Premier Pass. $75 annual membership fee.

This used to be the best deal out there, but Citi has seriously devalued the Thank You points program, and fixed flight redemptions are no longer available. I wouldn't recommend it now.

I have a 2% flat cash back Visa card from FIA Card Services. No annual fee. It is the best deal I have ever found, but I don't know how long it will last. It used to be affiliated with Charles Schwab, but it is no longer, and I don't know if you even can sign up for it any more.

There is no benefit as good as cash back. None.

It is the best, yes I have it too, no it's not available to new people, and given the loss of sponsorship, I'm surprised it's still available to us, since most banks have dropped the 2% cash back cards (Schwab was subsidizing this one as a hook for their brokerage, but they didn't find it profitable).

Enjoy it while it lasts... informed speculation is that it won't much longer.

It is the best, yes I have it too, no it's not available to new people, and given the loss of sponsorship, I'm surprised it's still available to us, since most banks have dropped the 2% cash back cards (Schwab was subsidizing this one as a hook for their brokerage, but they didn't find it profitable).

Enjoy it while it lasts... informed speculation is that it won't much longer.

Oh really? That sucks. I have made a couple thousand bucks on that card over the years. I put everything on it - utilities, private school tuition, every damn thing I can think of. :(

If you do a lot of Amazon shopping, their Visa rocks for personal use. All restaurants, pharmacies, gas station, and entertainment (movie theater...not sure what else qualifies) give 2% back, purchases from amazon give 3% back, and all other purchases are 1%. After a month of paying my bills and dinner dates, I generally have a $25 Amazon gift card to use. I then use the gift card on my list of wants or needs and then invest an extra $25 to my investments for the month. Pretty sweet deal.

Penned visa cash back. 1pct on everything 5pct on gas and groceries. I did the math vs the Schwab card a year ago and with how much i spend on gas and groceries, it made more sense this way.

It's not 5% on groceries any more. Also, a lot of people use 2 cards, for just this reason.

Yes, 2% cash back cards are impossible to find, I think (flat 2%). The best you can do is get them in pieces.

I travel a fair amount, so I use my Costco Amex or my BP Visa for those trips (2% cash back - that includes hotel, airfare, car rentals, etc).

BP Visa gives me 2% cash back at restaurants as well, but Costco Amex beats that with 3%.

Costco Amex is my best for gas, at 3%.

Then, for my Amazon purchases, I use my Amazon Visa which is 3% back on all Amazon purchases (3 points for every dollar spent on Amazon, and 5000 points gets redeemed for 50 bucks, simple math).

No annual fee on any of my cards, but Costco requires a Costco membership. Since I don't use my membership that much, I do sometimes have to re-evaluate that - but I think I use it enough where it's still worthwhile and Costco products are pretty good - I like the Kirkland brand.

BP Card (Visa):

https://www.chase.com/index.jsp?pg_name=ccpmapp/card_servicing/partner/page/home_BP_PL

Amazon Card (Visa):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/cobrandcard/marketing.html?place=camp&pr=con321&plattr=CBHP0309

Costco TrueEarnings (Amex):

http://www201.americanexpress.com/getthecard/learn-about/Costco-TrueEarnings

I broke my rules about having at most 4 credit cards (at least for now), and I do have a Citibank MC and a AmEx Blue... and for a couple of reasons I won't get into I'm not trimming back just now. Probably late next year. Anyway I discussed my favorites and most used cards.

I have had numerous Credit Card types, including store chains.

I have a Discover Card now and I have NEVER been more satisfied with the service I receive. I'm treated like a human being, not a number. I never "wait to speak to a customer representative". It is THE most cut-n-dry credit card I've ever had. I recommend them all the time to friends and family. My fiance just signed up for one a few months ago.

Only one down side is... some small restaurants don't accept it and if you travel outside of America, you may have a hard time finding places that accept it.

Edit: If you own a business!

Nothing beats American Express, but I work for them so I may be biased? The points never expire and no blackout dates like other cards. If you fly internationally, even once a year the platinum has buy one ticket get one free and it's unlimited per year. I have indian, asian, african clients that:) go overseas 4-5 times a year and get 4-5 free tickets. You get access to the airport clubs for free (a $450 value), $200 reimbursment on baggage fees, drinks, food and other fees that airlines are now charging. Automatic 4pm late checkout at major hotels..... I could go on forever, so if you want one PM me and you can apply through me and i get the credit/commission!:)

Archived