Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

This week's game will determine our season

Warhead36

I know it sounds silly to say that for a week 3 game against a non divisional foe, but I really do believe it. Players, coaches, and management are all under incredible pressure after this week's controversies regarding playcalling, execution, fan behavior, etc. etc.

If we come out with a big win vs. the Lions, the team will regain motivation and momentum. It may only be the Lions but all it takes is one big game(by big I mean win by 10+ points). Suddenly we'll be 2-1 with easy games continuing to come up and confidence back on our side.

On the flip side a loss will bury us. After only beating the Rams by two at home, this team is on the edge. Fans are booing, head coach is warring with legendary QB/broadcaster, and the players are clearly upset. Losing to a team that has lost 19 straight will cause the volcano to erupt. All confidence will be lost.

Time to see what this team is made of. If we want to be playoff contenders we have to come out and dominate an inferior opponent. Time to put up or shut up...

IMO Detroit is better than St. Louis.

That being said, we've spent seasons now assuming we'd get better as the season goes on. As we've learned, the season tends to get worse. I won't agree that this game will determine the season, and if somehow we lose, I won't say the season is lost either. BUT, it might be.

That being said, I think the fans, for the first time in a long time, woke this team up. Won't necessarily translate on the field, but hopefully they'll play with a sense of urgency before week 10.

I know it sounds silly to say that for a week 3 game against a non divisional foe, but I really do believe it. Players, coaches, and management are all under incredible pressure after this week's controversies regarding playcalling, execution, fan behavior, etc. etc.

Yes, it does sound silly.

If we come out with a big win vs. the Lions, the team will regain motivation and momentum. It may only be the Lions but all it takes is one big game(by big I mean win by 10+ points). Suddenly we'll be 2-1 with easy games continuing to come up and confidence back on our side.

Won't we suddenly be 2-1 with a non "big" win?

On the flip side a loss will bury us. After only beating the Rams by two at home, this team is on the edge. Fans are booing, head coach is warring with legendary QB/broadcaster, and the players are clearly upset. Losing to a team that has lost 19 straight will cause the volcano to erupt. All confidence will be lost.

The team isn't on the edge. They are 1-1 and the offense is moving the ball. If they couldn't make a first down, I could understand, but they are moving the ball.

Wasn't this same thread posted for the Rams game? Are we gonna seriously post threads every single week about how this particular game (against weak opponents) is gonna determine our season?

We put up a decent game against the giants in their own stadium...THOSE are the games that will determine how well of a team we are...not games against the rams lions and chiefs

I know I'm going to get flamed, but I think we lose this game. The Lion's have lost 19; so they'll break that streak this Sunday.

Lions 17

Redskins 16

I have that "feeling" that theres a good chance but deep down I'm really hoping that the offense gets some tall receivers in the endzone and uses them to their potential

Even if the 'Skins win big this Sunday, it doesn't mean anything but a win for the week. They are playing a lesser opponent. All it means is that they are doing what is expected of them, IMO. They stilll have to bring it every week and against good teams.

If they lose, well...I don't even want to get into that.

Well, the media and fans certainly think this game will determine our season. I'm not sure the players and coaches feel that way since there is nearly an entire season to be played.

Gruden on Mike & Mike this morning said you don't wanna be the team to get beat by the Lions. He then reflected on last season when Tampa was down 17 to them. He said his first thought was it was going to be a tough press conference. The did end up with a win but look what eventually happened to him.

Completely disagree. We win this game and we're 2-1 with wins over crappy teams. Big deal. Hell, we could be 5-1 after 6 weeks and it won't be a big deal. Our season is going to be determined by how we fair against the tougher teams we play later on. That's when we'll know if this team is going somewhere or just repeating last seasons trajectory.

Now if we lose to the Lions, or Chiefs, or both, then we're probably screwed. I'll still go to the games, probably out numbered by visiting teams fans as the weeks go by.

Remember in 2007 when the Giants were 0-2 and giving up tons of points and their season was all but over? They were about ready to fire their awful coach cause man did he suck. Whatever happened that season anyway?

Didn't they beat us and turn their season around?

It's really a no-win situation this week for the Redskins from the fan and public perspective. A win gains them little of the lost respect from the fans because, hey, it's the Lions. A loss, after last week's uninspiring win, would be devastating. It would firmly set the Redskins' reputation as belonging with the bottom dwellers of the NFL.

From the players' perspective, any win is a good win, and that's how it should be, even if the fans expect more.

Or a false sense of confidence?

There's nothing false about beating a bad team by a proper margin of 20+ points. If the 'skins can go into this game and just own the Lions all over the field - shutting them down defensively and marching up and down the field and scoring points offensively - then yes, I can see a HUGE momentum boost coming out of this game. Yes, it's against the Lions, but a win is a win and execution is execution.

Archived