Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: WRs reportedly positive for marijuana

bubba9497

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft09/news/story?id=4087941

Click link for entire article

WRs reportedly positive for marijuana

Wide receivers Percy Harvin and Brandon Tate tested positive for marijuana during February's NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis, two sources told FOXSports.com.

The news could be potentially damaging to the wide receivers' stock during this weekend's NFL draft.

Harvin was considered a first-round pick after leaving the University of Florida following his junior season. Tate was considered a possible second- to fourth-round pick after a solid college career at North Carolina.

Joel Segal, the agent who represents both players, didn't return messages from FOXSports.com seeking comment.

NFL teams received the drug-test results earlier this week, according to FOXSports.com.

Sources told FOXSports.com Harvin and Tate were the only two high-profile players to flunk their combine drug tests, and one of the sources said that fewer than a dozen players tested positive for recreational drugs.

Players who failed the tests are subject to entry into the NFL's substance-abuse program.

Harvin finished his college career with 133 receptions for 1,929 yards and 13 touchdowns and 194 carries for 1,852 yards and 19 scores. He averaged 9.5 yards per carry and 11.6 yards every time he touched the ball. He also posted a strong 4.39 seconds in the 40-yard dash at the combine.

He was at his best in big games, earning MVP honors in the 2006 Southeastern Conference championship game and totaling 171 yards and a touchdown in a victory over Oklahoma in the Bowl Championship Series national title game in January.

He lined up at receiver, running back and quarterback for the Gators but expects to do even more at the next level because several teams have already talked to him about returning kickoffs and punts.

Tate finished his career with an NCAA-record 3,523 career combined kick-return yards. Before tearing two knee ligaments midway through his senior year, he averaged 23.5 yards on his 16 receptions.

Tate, still recovering from his injury, didn't work out at the combine.

Good job guys, can't even lay off the dope for a week.

Im pretty sure I could drop just about anything I really enjoy doing, including drinking, for at least a month or two in exchange for a few mil guaranteed. Just a thought for those gifted with serious athletic talent. Big stacks of money are supposed to do the same to our brains that cocaine does to an addict, so I like to think that millions could beat almost any addiction up front.

Wow, considering Santonio Holmes got busted for smoking last year and then became the Super Bowl MVP, I'd say these two have started off on the right foot.

Who cares, really?

I remember Warren Sapp got nailed for pot in his piss back when he was drafted. Woe be unto those who decided that made him not worth it.

If the player has talent, smoking some pot isn't going to hurt it at all so long as he's not smoking when he should be playing or practicing.

~Bang

Wow, considering Santonio Holmes got busted for smoking last year and then became the Super Bowl MVP, I'd say these two have started off on the right foot.

Who cares, really?

I remember Warren Sapp got nailed for pot in his piss back when he was drafted. Woe be unto those who decided that made him not worth it.

If the player has talent, smoking some pot isn't going to hurt it at all so long as he's not smoking when he should be playing or practicing.

~Bang

I think it's pretty obvious that you do your share of marijuana based on your opinions on the subject every time it comes up in a thread. While it might not be a big deal to you, I'm sure it's a big deal to the team that does draft him and have to lose him to suspension for violating the leagues substance abuse policy.

BTW. I'm not referring to the current drug test but future drug tests. So yeah, it's a big deal because it could lead to some big time ramifications for all parties.

I would say Sapp is the exception to the rule. He learned his lesson by dropping like a rock in the draft and he got focused and lit up the league. I'd say 9 times out of 10 that will not be the case. But hey, maybe these guys will see all the millions they lost by dropping 10 or 20 spots in the draft and make some team look very smart for taking them.

The reality is though, that whatever team does take them now is rolling the dice.

whomever is in charge of keeping this stuff confidential should be fired immediately. what a joke to leak this stuff. as long as the teams know, thats as far as it should go. maybe a lawsuit would stop this foolishness

Who cares, really?

~Bang

I don't think it's a very big deal. The league isn't real fond of marijuana nor is law enforcement but laws are pretty relaxed these days. I don't buy that these guys are so "addicted" to marijuana that they couldn't stop I just think they were being idiots. Even the most hardcore of smoker I know (many times a day, every day, many years running) can stop for periods when they choose to. I don't know anyone that hasn't been able to quit smoking pot when they wanted to.

This just tells me that these guys are knuckleheads that can't get clean for a test they know is coming. What is really bad is that with the low percentage of body fat (THC is stored in fat cells) and amount of training these guys are doing leading up to the draft, they should be able to pee clean in a matter of days. Failing this test just screams "I'm an unreliable idiot."

Obviously someone like Percy Harvin is still going to get drafted high due to talent. I wouldn't drop him far on my board but if it was already a toss up between him and another guy, I'm picking the one that can pee clean.

Good job guys, can't even lay off the dope for a week.

Im pretty sure I could drop just about anything I really enjoy doing, including drinking, for at least a month or two in exchange for a few mil guaranteed. Just a thought for those gifted with serious athletic talent. Big stacks of money are supposed to do the same to our brains that cocaine does to an addict, so I like to think that millions could beat almost any addiction up front.

Technically it can stay in your fat cells for 6-8 weeks.

I read somewhere that something like 70% of American males of this generation have tried Marijuana at least once. I don't really know anyone who hasn't, and didn't enjoy it even a little bit.

It's pretty hypocritical for people to get outraged over someone smoking pot in any way shape or form. It's not a great habit to have if you're an athlete since it ****s up your lungs. But we are kidding ourselves if we don't think that probably close to half of all NFL and NBA players smoke weed in the offseason.

But still I agree, prospective NFL players like Percy Harvin need to know that they stand to lose sooooooo much more by certain behaviors than their buddies. Had I been in a similar situation, I would have done everything to beat my addiction at least for the couple months leading up to the combine.

This just tells me that these guys are knuckleheads that can't get clean for a test they know is coming. What is really bad is that with the low percentage of body fat (THC is stored in fat cells) and amount of training these guys are doing leading up to the draft, they should be able to pee clean in a matter of days. Failing this test just screams "I'm an unreliable idiot."

It's incredibly hard to beat an addiction unless the circumstances of your life change. If you are living in the same place, hanging out with the same friends, working at the same job--it's something that's so hard to do no matter what the consequences may be.

Still I disagree about them being able to get it out of their system in a few days. Maybe if you only smoke once in a blue moon you can do it. But if he is smoking a couple times a day it is going to take him a while to clear his system no matter what vitamins or supplements he takes or how much he rehydrates himself or whatever the silly things people do to beat tests.

Granted I've known people who've beaten tests by doing those kinds of things maybe 4 or 5 days after they last smoked. But in those cases it was the first time they had smoked in months and they didn't smoke all that much when they did anyway.

Who cares, really?

~Bang

Honestly, I wouldn't care if they smoked weed until their eyes popped out of their heads. What teams will care about is this:

The NFL’s drug policy states that a positive test for marijuana enters a player into the NFL’s drug program, making him subject to random testing and a fine and/or suspension for a second positive test.

Next time player X who you just spent millions on decides to get high before he randomly pisses in a cup, you won't have him for 3-4 games.

This has been an issue with Percy before, but he was allowed to get away with it. He was busted high and carrying at Landstown High, but it was swept under the rug by Admin. because of his "talents."

Yeah I heard about that from my ex-girl friend who's younger brother played ball at Landstown. Said Percy got bagged with some budd, but they decided not to make a big deal out of it because they were killing the Beach District and won the state championship in 04. Plus he was on the track team.

Still no excuse for being a complete dumbass. Way to represent 757 Percy!!!

Who cares, really?

~Bang

I'm with you on this one.

Who cares, really?

~Bang

Its not that he did it, its that he knew he had a test coming up and he still did it.

How stupid can you be that you smoke up before a known drug test?

Archived