Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pukes' scoreboard only 90 feet above the field...

tr1

Will any kicker reach it?

How the Physics of Football Works

by Craig Freudenrich, Ph.D.

Punting: Hang-Time, Peak Height and Range

The parabolic path of a football can be described by these two equations:

* y = Vyt - 0.5gt2

* x =Vxt

o y is the height at any time (t)

o Vy is the vertical component of the football's initial velocity

o g is acceleration due to Earth's gravity, 9.8 m/s2

o x is the horizontal distance of the ball at any time (t)

o Vx is the horizontal component of the football's initial velocity

To calculate the hang-time (ttotal), peak height (ymax), and maximum range (xmax) of a punt, you must know the initial velocity (V) of the ball off the kicker's foot, and the angle (theta) of the kick.

1. The velocity must be broken into horizontal (Vx) and vertical (Vy) components according to the following formulas:

* Vx = V cos(theta)

* Vy = V sin(theta)

2. The hang-time (ttotal) must be determined by one of these two formulas:

* ttotal = (2Vy/g)

* ttotal = (0.204Vy)

3. Once you know the hang-time, you can calculate maximum range (xmax):

* xmax = Vx ttotal

4. You can calculate the time (t1/2) at which the ball is at its peak height:

* t1/2 = 0.5 ttotal

5. And you can calculate the peak height (ymax), using one of these two formulas:

* ymax = vy(t1/2) - 1/2g(t1/2)2

* ymax = vy(t1/2) - 0.49(t1/2)2

For example, a kick with a velocity of 90 ft/s (27.4 m/s) at an angle of 30 degrees will have the following values:

1. Vertical and horizontal components of velocity:

* Vx = V cos(theta) = (27.4 m/s) cos (30 degrees) = (27.4 m/s) (0.0.87) = 23.7 m/s

* Vy = V sin(theta) = (27.4 m/s) sin (30 degrees) = (27.4 m/s) (0.5) = 13.7 m/s

2. Hang-time:

* ttotal = (0.204Vy) = {0.204 (13.7m/s)} = 2.80 s.

3. Maximum range:

* xmax = Vx ttotal = (23.7 m/s)(2.80 s) = 66.4 m

* 1 m = 1.09 yd

* xmax = 72 yd

4. Time at peak height:

* t1/2 = 0.5 ttotal = (0.5)(2.80 s) = 1.40 s

5. Peak height:

* ymax = Vy(t1/2) - 0.49(t1/2)2 = [{(13.7 m/s)(1.40 s)} - {0.49(1.40 s)2}] = 18.2 m

* 1 m = 3.28 ft

* ymax = 59.7 ft

If we do the calculations for a punt with the same velocity, but an angle of 45 degrees, then we get a hang-time of 3.96 s, a maximum range of 76.8 m (84 yd), and a peak height of 36.5 m (120 ft). If we change the angle of the kick to 60 degrees, we get a hang-time of 4.84 s, a maximum range of 66.3 m (72 yd), and a peak height of 54.5 m (179 ft). Notice that as the angle of the kick gets steeper, the ball hangs longer in the air and goes higher. Also, as the angle of the kick is increased, the distance traveled by the ball increases to a maximum (achieved at 45 degrees) and then decreases.

The equation doesn't take Air Resistance into affect.

Also: I like how they have a Ph.D doing this equation when any 17 year old in physics could do it :\

hmmm Air Resistance Equation = ARE

taking in the arc of the ball = 2 pi ARE square

no that not right pi ARE round, cake ARE square

so 2 pi ARE round times the feet above sealevel in milibars / wind velocity times angle should give you a confused mess that really means nothing but sounds good. Equations ARE fun.:hysterical:

Pukes should be penalized for their stupidity. Every punt that hits the scoreboard should be a penalty on them. If the opposing team hits it, pukes get the ball on the 10. If the pukes hit it the opposing team gets the ball where it lands.

Yeah, Jerry Jones and the #1 stadium design firm in the world are stupid and overlooked something soo obvious. If anyone thinks they didn't spend hours and hours figuring out the positioning of the board taking everything into account, they you're retarded. Not to mention it probably can be raised with the simple push of a button if necessary. All report have said that they had punters trying to hit it or at least kick a ball to the height of the scoreboard and none even came close.

I can't wait till they come up with some graphic on the sideline boards to play when Dallas punts that will distract the other teams' returner or cause him to lose sight of the ball. That would be pretty cool to me.

Yeah, Jerry Jones and the #1 stadium design firm in the world are stupid and overlooked something soo obvious. If anyone thinks they didn't spend hours and hours figuring out the positioning of the board taking everything into account, they you're retarded. Not to mention it probably can be raised with the simple push of a button if necessary. All report have said that they had punters trying to hit it or at least kick a ball to the height of the scoreboard and none even came close.

I can't wait till they come up with some graphic on the sideline boards to play when Dallas punts that will distract the other teams' returner or cause him to lose sight of the ball. That would be pretty cool to me.

You honestly think having the scoreboard that close to the field is a good thing? If the Redskins did that I'd be :doh:. Apparently anything Dallas does it all good, though, eh?

You honestly think having the scoreboard that close to the field is a good thing? If the Redskins did that I'd be :doh:. Apparently anything Dallas does it all good, though, eh?

You honestly think they would put the board in a position where punts and/or passes would hit it?:doh: Apparently everything Dallas does is stupid and you know better, eh?

You honestly think they would put the board in a position where punts and/or passes would hit it?:doh: Apparently everything Dallas does is stupid and you know better, eh?

Apparently you don't read my posts. I'm actually one of the people that doesn't just hate on Dallas for the sake of hating on them. And what's with the condescending BS?

But I guess you have a point. I should reserve judgement for when I see a pic of this scoreboard to know if it really is going to be in the way or not.

Apparently you don't read my posts. I'm actually one of the people that doesn't just hate on Dallas for the sake of hating on them. And what's with the condescending BS?

But I guess you have a point. I should reserve judgement for when I see a pic of this scoreboard to know if it really is going to be in the way or not.

There are tons of pictures available online but why would you need that. The scoreboard hangs 90 feet above the playing surface. Thats somewhere between an 8 an 9 story building. Do punts go that high? Answer that question and then we will all know.

There are tons of pictures available online but why would you need that. The scoreboard hangs 90 feet above the playing surface. Thats somewhere between an 8 an 9 story building. Do punts go that high? Answer that question and then we will all know.

I think the article at the beginning of this thread answers that:

If we do the calculations for a punt with the same velocity, but an angle of 45 degrees, then we get a hang-time of 3.96 s, a maximum range of 76.8 m (84 yd), and a peak height of 36.5 m (120 ft). If we change the angle of the kick to 60 degrees, we get a hang-time of 4.84 s, a maximum range of 66.3 m (72 yd), and a peak height of 54.5 m (179 ft). Notice that as the angle of the kick gets steeper, the ball hangs longer in the air and goes higher. Also, as the angle of the kick is increased, the distance traveled by the ball increases to a maximum (achieved at 45 degrees) and then decreases.

Yes.

Thats answers nothing. Those are numbers plugged into a formula not data from actual punts. Do you think punts go 120 or 179 feet in the air? Think about it now. Do punters punt the ball as high as an 11 story building or a 17 story building? Do you think a smart business man and the #1 stadium design firm in the word would place a 60 yard scoreboard 90 feet above the field if punts can reach that high? Do you think the league would allow that and that it took some average fans on a message board to figure out that it might pose a problem for punts? Get real!!!!!:doh:

Archived