Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NY Times: A.I.G. Sues U.S. for Return of $306 Million in Tax Payments

heyholetsgogrant

By LYNNLEY BROWNING

Published: March 19, 2009

While the American International Group comes under fire from Congress over executive bonuses, it is quietly fighting the federal government for the return of $306 million in tax payments, some related to deals that were conducted through offshore tax havens.

A.I.G. sued the government last month in a bid to force it to return the payments, which stemmed in large part from its use of aggressive tax deals, some involving entities controlled by the company’s financial products unit in the Cayman Islands, Ireland, the Dutch Antilles and other offshore havens.

A.I.G. is effectively suing its majority owner, the government, which has an 80 percent stake and has poured nearly $200 billion into the insurer in a bid to avert its collapse and avoid troubling the global financial markets. The company is in effect asking for even more money, in the form of tax refunds. The suit also suggests that A.I.G. is spending taxpayer money to pursue its case, something it is legally entitled to do. Its initial claim was denied by the Internal Revenue Service last year.

Source: NY Times

Full Article Click here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/20/business/20aig.html

There will be violence. I have no doubt now.

Not sure if you are speaking hyperbolically (is that a word?), but Im starting to have this gnawing lump of dread in my gut about whats going to happen next and what straw will finally break the proverbial back of the US. And then what happens?

I thought this was going to be some kind of joke. WTF are these guys thinkin? I'll come out and say it nationalize. Keep them from dragging down the rest of the world and then sell their ****.

Nationalize??...we already own 80% of AIG,will 20 more matter?

Nationalize??...we already own 80% of AIG,will 20 more matter?

I was listening to good ole GOP radio today and a caller called in and made an interesting point.

If we owe 80% of the company, perhaps it's time to start thinking about government pay scales for this. No one should make more then the President, so no one at AIG should make more then 20% more then the President.

Also, the government is looking to hire an executive compensation analyst. That's scary.

Not the employees KAO, the corporation.

You either allow legal standing to sue or they owe nothing.

You do pick up any real property though,which of course exempts it from taxes as well.:silly:

There will be violence. I have no doubt now.
Not sure if you are speaking hyperbolically (is that a word?), but Im starting to have this gnawing lump of dread in my gut about whats going to happen next and what straw will finally break the proverbial back of the US. And then what happens?
you getting that itch too?
Its the only way...
I'm afraid you're right...It's only a matter of time...and life here will never be the same.

You guys go ahead. Let us know how it works out.

You guys go ahead. Let us know how it works out.

Not saying I am advocating it...it's just starting to look like it's going to happen. The people are angry and have seen enough...I was watching CNN this morning and there were a lot of protests going on...sooner or later it's going to get uglier.

Much like Kilmer17 I am starting to get a gnawing lump of dread im my gut.

Archived