Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Creatine question

DallasBlowsBig

Hey guys

I drink about a gallon of water a day and I am starting to take creatine, the directions say to take one scoop per 6 ounces of water, but since I drink abotu a gallon a day, would be it unsafe to put a few scoops in a gallon of water and drink it in a day, it is much less scoops than the recommended obviously but then again it's still giving me nutrients.

I was just wondering if drinking too much creatine in a day, but not too too much, is dangerous.

How much is a "scoop". Anything over 10g a day is probably overkill. Don't mix it with your water and drink it all day dude. Take it after your workout and before bed. I'm guessing that a scoop is probably 5g. That means 2 scoops a day total, not a scoop with every 6 ounces of water you drink. That would be insane.

Creatine is probably the most effective legal supplement around. There are a lot of shady supplements out there with dubious results and hazards, but creatine isn't one of them. You can gain 5-10 pounds of muscle in a week or two, no problem. The only caution I would give is make sure you drink a ton of water, at least a gallon a day.

Anything beyond 10g a day is pretty much over kill and you'll end up pissing it out. Your body can only absorb so much. Like Raub said, take it after a workout or before bed.

As far as going with it on P90X i wouldn't really suggest it just yet. It has the tendency to make you retain more water aka be bloated (the idea is the more water in your muscles, the more nutrients will get to them).

It says "PER" 6 ounces of water, or "WITH" 6 ounces of water?

I don't know why it says 6 ounces anyway. Drink PLENTY of water, especially when taking creatine.

Do not over-do creatine. It basically transfers water in to the muscle fibers, giving them more stamina (and a bulkier look). The more you take, the more water taken away from other necessities. You can become dehydrated real quick if you have a long workout and aren't slamming water.

That said, there is an array of things you have to consider before taking it. Are you looking for endurance as an athlete? If so, it may not be for you. It is a great supplement for short bursts of athleticism, and while it creates more muscle endurance, you will simply have too much muscle while supplementing with creatine to, let's say, be a marathon runner. The "Muscle Endurance" it creates is moreso a definition of how it will quickly add 2 or 3 reps to your weight lifting.

There is a loading phase that tells you to take 4 teaspoons a day with water for 2 weeks. Then for a month you take 1 scoop a day. Then you take a break for 2 weeks, I believe. A lot of supplements have regiments like creatine. Load, maintain, stop, repeat.

Like others have said I'd stick to recommendations. Taking even a little too much creatine causes a lot of muscle cramping in some people. I've never really been a big creatine user though, but if you're doing serious weight work with heavy weights, it can do wonders for recovery. I've used it on and off but try not to stay on one thing for too long except protein supplements of course.

I have also read that after drinking creatine, you should drink a gallon of water. Should you do this after drinking creatine as opposed to before right?

But if you DO drink a gallon of water after taking a glass of creatine, will that wash away all the creatine nutrients??

just make sure to drink a gallon of water a day. doesn't have to all be after you take creatine. spread it out through the day

There has been a ton of study done on creatine and there aren't any dangerous side effects from taking the recommended dosages. :doh:

If you take more than your body can utilize, then you'll have some expensive urine, because it's all going to go down the toilet. I've taken it off and on since the late 90s and the only side effect I've ever noticed was muscle cramps...which were more a product of me not hydrating properly than anything else.

Archived