Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does Andre Carter = Marcellus Wiley???

BigDave95

Someone just brought up Marcellus Wiley as an example of a Cowboys' free agent signing bust. It got me wondering...

Andre Carter - 6'4", 265 lb defensive end

Marcellus Wiley - 6'4" 275 lb defensive end

Sack totals for the 4 seasons prior to FA signing:

Andre Carter: Marcellus Wiley:

5................ 3

2................ 6

13 ..............11

Tackle totals for the 4 seasons prior to FA signing:

44............... 51

10............... 36

34............... 48

54............... 65

Forced fumbles for the 4 seasons prior to FA signing:

0................ 2

1................ 1

1................ 5

3................ 3

Andre Carter is currently 27 years old. Marcellus Wiley was 28 when Dallas signed him.

Andre Carter excelled in the 4-3 and his diminished stats were partially attributed to his team's switch to the 3-4.

Marcellus Wiley excelled in the 4-3 and his diminished stats were partially attributed to his team's switch to the 3-4.

Hmmmmm, makes you wonder...

Good point BigDave but you have to remember that when the 9ers switched to the 3-4 defense, Carter was moved to the LB position. Instead of playing the line and going after the QB, he was in a lot of pass coverage situations and just doing what LB's do.

Here's a question. I'm assuming Wiley played DE on the 4-3 defense. Since changing to the 3-4 defense, does Wiley still play DE or have they moved him into the LB position?

I don't know if AC will be as big of a bust as Wiley was for the Boys. At the same time, I don't know if he provides the dominating edge rusher that skins fans are expecting. I'm basing this not only on the games that I've watched him play and his declining production but the opinions of 49'ers fans. We'll see what happens.

Wiley was supposed to be a solid two way end for the Cowboys, playing the run and being a solid rusher.

I think in this defense that Carter's role will be more specialized. I think he will rush but will also be subbed out for Renaldo Wynn or Demetric Evans when the Redskins play a team with a smash-mouth front line and hammer back.

Williams has a way of taking what a player does well and maximizing that while limiting the reps the opposition sees from that player in spots where he can be vulnerable.

I can see Carter get 12 or 13 sacks here in 2006 and not play every down at DE.

With the depth we have at DE I think that Williams would consider that a victory for his defense.

I thought Wiley played end in a 4-3 defense for Dallas. Not sure this post makes much sense...

Wiley had success as a 4-3 DE but when San Diego moved to a 3-4 he was converted to OLB. Same as Carter.

When Dallas signed him, they hoped the switch back to the 4-3 would get him back to his old level of production. This was when Dallas was still running the 4-3.

I don't know if AC will be as big of a bust as Wiley was for the Boys. At the same time, I don't know if he provides the dominating edge rusher that skins fans are expecting. I'm basing this not only on the games that I've watched him play and his declining production but the opinions of 49'ers fans. We'll see what happens.
I also remember when Wiley was a free agent that there was talk of him having a very poor work ethic, a reason his time in Dallas was short lived. At the very least, the same cannot be said for Carter.

I'm not sure how many here have said they're expecting a "dominating edge rusher" in Carter, THA, but you may be more connected. :D

Speaking for myself, and others I can remember reading, we expect improved rushing from the edge, but more importantly another smart, very athletic player to improve us overall. That's pretty much how GW described his vision of Carter.

Dominating edge rusher? Who is expecting that?

All he needs to do is play the run like he always has (very well) and put pressure on the QB to be a success. Nobody is asking him to be Reggie White.

There's enough other good players in the front seven so that he doesn't have to carry the defense.

Wiley had success as a 4-3 DE but when San Diego moved to a 3-4 he was converted to OLB. Same as Carter.

When Dallas signed him, they hoped the switch back to the 4-3 would get him back to his old level of production. This was when Dallas was still running the 4-3.

Yes, that's right. I now remember he was in a 3-4 in SD before he left.

Someone just brought up Marcellus Wiley as an example of a Cowboys' free agent signing bust. It got me wondering...

0................ 2

1................ 1

1................ 5

3................ 3

keep hoping :thumbsup:

I mean they are about the same height & weight, and age at the time... though physical condition wasn't anything alike... but hey that doesn't matter

Wow that forced fumble stat really confirms your theory :laugh:

you can probably get about two dozen DE's with simular stat totals that are closer than the ones you posted... but why be nit picky

we won't even discuss coaching, defenses and the quality of DL each played in (Carter will play in)... that will have no barring whatsoever :rolleyes:

they are exactly the same!!! :laugh:

I'm not sure how many here have said they're expecting a "dominating edge rusher" in Carter, THA, but you may be more connected. :D

Speking for myself, and others I can rmeber reading, we expect improved rushing from the edge, but more importantly another smart, very athletic player to improve us overall. That's pretty much how GW described his vision of Carter.

THA is like Lavar. He has to make things up and or exaggerate in order to argue counterpoints. It's that Arrington me against the world attitude. :)

funny how the Wiley signing hasn't continued to linger in the press when they consider Parcells' term in Dallas. seems as if with the Redskins every personnel mistake that has ever been made keeps being brought up even if it occurred before Gibbs' return to the team in 2004 :mad:

I think the issue that the Boys had with Wiley is that he hit the wall at 30 where he could not play in the 3-4 defense as the hybrid OLB/DE.

Carter on the other hand just turned 27 and is going to a system that suits him better than playing in space (as he was in a 3-4 defense last year).

Sack totals for the 4 seasons prior to FA signing:

5................ 3

2................ 6

13 ..............11

Tackle totals for the 4 seasons prior to FA signing:

44............... 51

10............... 36

34............... 48

54............... 65

0................ 2

1................ 1

1................ 5

3................ 3

Andre Carter is currently 27 years old. Marcellus Wiley was 28 when Dallas signed him.

Andre Carter excelled in the 4-3 and his diminished stats were partially attributed to his team's switch to the 3-4.

Marcellus Wiley excelled in the 4-3 and his diminished stats were partially attributed to his team's switch to the 3-4.

I'd be happy to bet you that Carter registers twice as many sacks and plays twice as long as Wiley.

Wow that forced fumble stat confirms your theory

Way to pick the least significant stat in an attempt to make a point. So you feel that a four year tally of a DE's tackles and sacks are no indication of the type of player he is??

I know there's more to it than just numbers but you've got on your Skins' blinders if you can't see the similarities.

Way to pick the least significant stat in an attempt to make a point. So you feel that a four year tally of a DE's tackles and sacks are no indication of the type of player he is??

I know there's more to it than just numbers but you've got on your Skins' blinders if you can't see the similarities.

His first 3 seasons are far more indicative of the type of player we can expect barring injury. His last two years he was injured and then switched over to a 3-4 LB. Those two crappy years are the crux of your stupid argument. If you feel strongly about your case, then see my above post.

A player doesn't need to be stand out to stand out on our D, just do what your supposed and bang you're a success.

There's one difference between the two players right there.

Another difference is WRs not being open so early against our D so AC has more time to do his shizzle.

Archived