Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does Andre Carter = Marcellus Wiley???

BigDave95

Carter had 6.5, 12.5, 6.5, and 2 sacks playing at DE. SF didn't switch to the 34 until 2005.

Looking at their careers prior to being signed, Wiley was statistically a superior player to Carter. Maybe the Skins should've signed Dat Dude instead...

he had a back injury that caused him to miss MOST of 2004 :rolleyes:

Carter was injured in 2003 and missed most of 2004 before being moved to OLB in 2005. How about Wiley? Any injury? Any time missed? Any move to OLB?
Carter started all but one game in '03. He played 7 games in '04. It's not as though those 2 years didn't happen.

He has 32 sacks in 69 games. On average, that means he'll get you 7.5 this year. Is all that $ worth 7.5 sacks? And it's been 4 years since his breakout season. Another 4-6 sack season looks more realistic.

The reality is, the Reskins - once again - gave big time $ to a guy who's had one big time year. He may have another this year, but it appears far more likely he won't.

Carter started all but one game in '03. He played 7 games in '04. It's not as though those 2 years didn't happen.

He has 32 sacks in 69 games. On average, that means he'll get you 7.5 this year. Is all that $ worth 7.5 sacks? And it's been 4 years since his breakout season. Another 4-6 sack season looks more realistic.

The reality is, the Reskins - once again - gave big time $ to a guy who's had one big time year. He may have another this year, but it appears far more likely he won't.

Wiley averaged 6 sacks a season before Dallas picked him up. He was also known to have an attitude problem and lazy work ethics.

Carter's knock was his injury. You don't think adding him to a top ten defense will help him out? Daniels when he's healthy is pretty damn good and so are both our starting DT's. Our coverage will also help him out.

Also, if he averaged 7.5 sacks a season, how in the world do you come to the conclusion that "another 4-6 sack season looks more realistic"? :laugh:

Wiley averaged 6 sacks a season before Dallas picked him up. He was also known to have an attitude problem and lazy work ethics.

Carter's knock was his injury. You don't think adding him to a top ten defense will help him out? Daniels when he's healthy is pretty damn good and so are both our starting DT's. Our coverage will also help him out.

Also, if he averaged 7.5 sacks a season, how in the world do you come to the conclusion that "another 4-6 sack season looks more realistic"? :laugh:

My point was, the 12.5 sack season is an anomaly.

I'm not criticizing your defense as a whole. It's a defense that is tough and seems comfortable in Williams' system. And I think Williams' is a good coach, who'll be somebody's HC sooner rather than later. But your front 4 can't rush the passer, and I doubt that'll change with the addition of a guy who's been pretty average outside of one year.

Who's right? We'll start finding out in 2 weeks.

My point was, the 12.5 sack season is an anomaly.

I'm not criticizing your defense as a whole. It's a defense that is tough and seems comfortable in Williams' system. And I think Williams' is a good coach, who'll be somebody's HC sooner rather than later. But your front 4 can't rush the passer, and I doubt that'll change with the addition of a guy who's been pretty average outside of one year.

Who's right? We'll start finding out in 2 weeks.

Wynn, who will provide depth now that Carter is here only produced 1 sack last year and Daniels was hurt for a good portion of the season.While Daniels didn't miss any games he wasn't healthy until late in the season. He posted 8 sacks despite being slowed down.

Carter, in his three healthy seasons as a DE averaged 8.5 sacks a season. You plug him in our line with Daniels on the other corner and our DT's in the middle, and I think he's in good postion to achieve double digit sacks.

The Wiley comparison is invalid at this point.

Archived