Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does Andre Carter = Marcellus Wiley???

BigDave95

That's just it. I'm a fan. You're a fan and he's a fan. Most of the so called "experts" and "insiders" know just as much as we do. Bubba, it's just my :2cents:. I don't claim to know everything like you do.

give you a dollar, if you can find a single post where I claim I know everything :)

you're right most fan's opinions alone mean squat, that's why you need to bring something tangible and logical to the argument, before you can be taken seriously.

Davey brought tangible, unfortunately they weren't logical :2cents:

Why in the world would you even bring up the comparison before Andre Carter has even played a meaningful down for us? Trollish for sure.

I think I have an Uncle who lives in Harker Heights TX... is that anywhere near Kileen?

oh, Dave was projecting, by using Wiley as a comparison model :laugh:

Yup, right next to Killeen.

Those Cowboys fans and their projections. Remember when they projected out Julius Jones for a full season? :laugh:

then he lives there.

He was an assistant football coach at Kileen for years, then at Harker Heights before he retired, I have a cousin about your age... but I think he lives in Dallas now.

Poke fans... black sheep of the family

Dominating edge rusher? Who is expecting that?

All he needs to do is play the run like he always has (very well) and put pressure on the QB to be a success. Nobody is asking him to be Reggie White.

There's enough other good players in the front seven so that he doesn't have to carry the defense.

I'll be honest, I am. Isn't that why he was brought in? I don't think he was acquired just so he could role play.

I'm not expecting a RW type of season, but at least somewhere in the neighborhood of 12-15 sacks.

I understand explorinig the possibility that AC may not have the success in Washington many hope, but why compare him to Wiley? If Dallas fans really had high expectations for him, then they were only fooling themselves. Wiley was "busted" before he got to Dallas. He was 30, only managed 13 sacks in his last 3 seasons in San Diego.

I'm not sure how many here have said they're expecting a "dominating edge rusher" in Carter, THA, but you may be more connected. :D

Speaking for myself, and others I can remember reading, we expect improved rushing from the edge, but more importantly another smart, very athletic player to improve us overall. That's pretty much how GW described his vision of Carter.

Jumbobobo is right. There was an old thread that was made predicting who would top the Redskins in different statistical categories, a pure prediction thread if you would. Most people picked Washington or Daniels to lead the team in sacks, from what I recall. I also don't remember anyone seriously expecting a player on this team to register 10 sacks. Then again, my memory can be a little hazy at times.

Wrong. Try again.

Refer to above post...

You are full of crap. You think just because you say it's true that people will buy it? San Diego played the 4-3 in the entire 2003 season with Adrian Dingle starting at the opposite DE and Jamal Williams and Jason Fisk starting at the DTs. Leber, Edwards and Seau were the linebackers. They may have gone to it a little but the vast majority of the time they played the 4-3. They didn't go to the 3-4 until the 2004 season when Wade Phillips came on board and by then Wiley was a Cowboy.

Just keep making stuff up to fit your argument.

Edit: Sorry cgray88, I didn't realize that you had already called him on his made up BS.

funny how the Wiley signing hasn't continued to linger in the press when they consider Parcells' term in Dallas. seems as if with the Redskins every personnel mistake that has ever been made keeps being brought up even if it occurred before Gibbs' return to the team in 2004 :mad:

Probably because Parcells found DeMarcus Ware after one season of Wiley. Parcells has taken quite a bit of heat from the Dallas press on Jacob Rogers busting, mainly because they still haven't found the replacement at right tackle. And if Kosier and Rivera have poor years, he'll be taking flack for the recent cut of Stephen Petermann, who was also a draft bust.

YAKUZA

Jumbo and DD, one of closest friends happens to be a devoted 49'er fan and even before AC became a skin, he was never impressed with him relative to where he was drafted and what was expected of him. Even in his 12.5 sack year, many of them were "garbage sacks" according to him. Once again, going by his words as he watches every 49'er game and I don't. Sometimes new additions workout and sometimes they don't. I'm not slamming AC by any means. My comment was based on the opinions of many es posters who have high expectations for him. I definitely think this was an area of need for you guys and a reasonable attempt satisfy it. GW seems to get the most out of his players and he does add athleticism to the position. We'll see how he translates to the overall success of the defense.

Honestly, I really don't care if your fan friend was Bill Walsh. When I try to figure out what type of impact a player will make here, I don't really consider fan opinions and I surely don't care that feeble-minded Mike Nolan couldn't figure out how to use him.

I consider what I've personally seen such as his games at Cal and San Fran. I also consider scouting reports and this defensive staff's history of getting the most out of virtually every player a top free agent corner to an undrafted free agent linebacker. That assumes the player can be reached (not always the case - see Arrington, Lavar) and from Carter's history he is an exceptional worker and self-starter.

AC is someone who I personally thought would be a fabulous fit prior to us ever going after him. I can pull them if you like. And I haven't seen anything that would lead me to change my mind. I think you and your 49er friend will be surprised when you see the player he becomes here.

Wiley had success as a 4-3 DE but when San Diego moved to a 3-4 he was converted to OLB. Same as Carter.

When Dallas signed him, they hoped the switch back to the 4-3 would get him back to his old level of production. This was when Dallas was still running the 4-3.

Ok you should look up things before you talk. Wiley had two good years. One at the end of his years with the bills(2000), And the following at San Diego(2001). You guys picked him up two years after that. With the one search i did, I didn't find anything about position other than DE. But the girls got him in his 8th year and this is AC's 5th. Now go look at Wiley's stats in his 5th year(2001). Then take your foot out of your mouth.:dallasuck

Andre Carter is currently 27 years old. Marcellus Wiley was 28 when Dallas signed him.

Andre Carter excelled in the 4-3 and his diminished stats were partially attributed to his team's switch to the 3-4.

Marcellus Wiley excelled in the 4-3 and his diminished stats were partially attributed to his team's switch to the 3-4.

Hmmmmm, makes you wonder...

It might make you wonder. But not us. Nice try though. :laugh:

I don't know if AC will be as big of a bust as Wiley was for the Boys. At the same time, I don't know if he provides the dominating edge rusher that skins fans are expecting. I'm basing this not only on the games that I've watched him play and his declining production but the opinions of 49'ers fans. We'll see what happens.
You lost all credibility when you said that. The opinion of a whiner fan? My opinion of the 49ers is they are gonna win the Super Bowl, now take my opinion and run with it, right back to the puke board.

Jumbo and DD, one of closest friends happens to be a devoted 49'er fan and even before AC became a skin, he was never impressed with him relative to where he was drafted and what was expected of him. Even in his 12.5 sack year, many of them were "garbage sacks" according to him. Once again, going by his words as he watches every 49'er game and I don't.

I call b.s. on your 49er fan friend. It just seems too convenient.

This thread is ridiculous. I think bubba's last post pretty much says what I was going to. How about we let him play a year before we call him a bust?

BTW, the only sack numbers that matter for Carter are 7, 13, and 7, his totals the three years he was actually playing DE.

Carter had 6.5, 12.5, 6.5, and 2 sacks playing at DE. SF didn't switch to the 34 until 2005.

Looking at their careers prior to being signed, Wiley was statistically a superior player to Carter. Maybe the Skins should've signed Dat Dude instead...

Ok you should look up things before you talk. Wiley had two good years. One at the end of his years with the bills(2000), And the following at San Diego(2001). You guys picked him up two years after that. With the one search i did, I didn't find anything about position other than DE. But the girls got him in his 8th year and this is AC's 5th. Now go look at Wiley's stats in his 5th year(2001). Then take your foot out of your mouth.:dallasuck

By that same comparison, Carter has had one good year. And this is Carter's 6th season, not his 5th.

Carter had 6.5, 12.5, 6.5, and 2 sacks playing at DE. SF didn't switch to the 34 until 2005.

Looking at their careers prior to being signed, Wiley was statistically a superior player to Carter. Maybe the Skins should've signed Dat Dude instead...

Carter was injured in 2003 and missed most of 2004 before being moved to OLB in 2005. How about Wiley? Any injury? Any time missed? Any move to OLB?

Archived