Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Redskins have had the best offseason in 9 years.

Look at this way if I told you that we would add John Jansen, Lavar Arrington, Matt Bowen, Philip Daniels, Casy Rabach, Santana Moss, David Patten, maybe Micheal Barrow. First round picks Cornerback Rodger and QB Campbell who would sit on the bench as a QB should and learn. Oh, all the same coaches are back for a second year, three turned down HC jobs to stay. And the players got to play in the same system for two years in a row for the first time in nine years. You would be freaking flipping out.

I'm not sure any of our coaches turned down a head coaching job and I'd like to see you sharpen up your player recognition with better spelling, but, we have had a good offseason from a continuity factor. We look now to be returning 19 of 22 starters from last year's team, while getting more healthy in the balance.

We were one of the most impacted teams in football from an injury standpoint a year ago. Dallas has had a nice offseason. They had a tremendous number of holes to fill and did what we had to do only they did it late while we enjoy some stability.

Originally posted by KingdomBankcard

Look at this way if I told you that we would add John Jansen, Lavar Arrington, Matt Bowen, Philip Daniels, Casy Rabach, Santana Moss, David Patten, maybe Micheal Barrow. First round picks Cornerback Rodger and QB Campbell who would sit on the bench as a QB should and learn. Oh, all the same coaches are back for a second year, three turned down HC jobs to stay. And the players got to play in the same system for two years in a row for the first time in nine years. You would be freaking flipping out.

I think you forgot some minor things.

1. We lost Fred Smoot, Antonio Pierce and Lav. Coles

2. Traded away more Draft picks including a number one.

This is what i love about my fellow skins fans, always thinking about the positives and block out the negatives.

Originally posted by Art

I'd like to see you sharpen up your player recognition with better spelling,

Geez, why so critical? He misspelled a couple of first names. I've seen a lot worse from others. :rolleyes:

Also you can argue that every team improved themselves through the draft and free agency. I agree with you that overall continuity will add a few more wins. I think that's what the post was trying to say.

Originally posted by GIBBS4PREZ

We didn't trade away a first round draft pick...we just moved it up a year. ;)

As for the injured players returning that are mentioned in the lead post, I don't really consider that to be part of the "offseason success"...players that were already on the roster fall into another catagory in my eyes, they don't fall under the "offseason moves" label. But their return from injury, especially if it's from season ending injury, should be taken into consideration when evaluating the real offseason moves...because the return of injured starters does immediately improve the team and add quality depth.

Originally posted by VaSkinsNut

I know Williams and Blanche did.

To turn down a head coaching position you have to interview for it, then be offered it, then say no, I'd think. If you mean they just turned down any opportunity to be head coaches by refusing to listen to any offers, then, sure, they turned down head coaching jobs.

:doh:

Why that reaction to a true statement.

We didn't have two firsts this year. We had one. We traded one from next for a second from this. It's not like we gave it away. We got a year of development from a valuable position and player for a third and a fourth. I'll take that most of the time.

Pierce is so over rated it's not even funny. He lucks into a starting position and has a great year. Now he's the 2nd coming of Ray Lewis?? He was an known linebacker that had 1 count them 1 good year. Smoot is all mouth if we can lose Champ Bailey we can lose Smoot.

I like our chances this season. My only qualm was drafting Campbell at that pick. I would have liked to have seen us trade down and get a 2nd round and 3rd round pick for that first. Then got Campbell in 2nd.

Of course who knows, Campbell might not have been there in 2nd round.

I do think we needed a QB prospect.

MC

Originally posted by MCnDaHouse

My only qualm was drafting Campbell at that pick. I would have liked to have seen us trade down and get a 2nd round and 3rd round pick for that first. Then got Campbell in 2nd.

Of course who knows, Campbell might not have been there in 2nd round.

I do think we needed a QB prospect.

MC

You're sitting on the fence. We like to see seasoned posters take a stance one way or the other. If you like the pic it's cool, if you don't like the pic it's cool too. We just like to know if ultimately you did or didn't like the move.

Originally posted by skinsfan93

Geez, why so critical? He misspelled a couple of first names. I've seen a lot worse from others. :rolleyes:

Spelling is important.

If you can't spell words in your posts, and player names then it's really hard to take you seriously.

Originally Posted by GIBBS4PREZ

I think you forgot some minor things.

1. We lost Fred Smoot, Antonio Pierce and Lav. Coles

Clearly losing Smoot and Pierce was not a good thing.

But you obviously can't see the forest though the trees with respect to the trade of draft picks.

Finally, I don't understand the hang up with Coles. Everyone knows the guy had an injury issue. How bad is it exactly? Well that remains to be scene. Either way it can't leave the equation.

Furthermore, and most importantly, it appears that Gibbs wasn't enamored with Coles.

We have all seen the reports about the poor attitudes of Coles/Gardner. Gibbs obviously was not oblivious to these.

It seem that there isn't enough credence given to the possibility that the loss of Coles is addition by subtraction. Gibbs loses a malcontent and gains players that may buy into his system and actually play meaningful roles rather than focus on the roles they are not being asked to play.

Originally posted by KingdomBankcard

The above is also available verbatim in his other thread, also started today.

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=101369

Maybe I'm just being a little too picky, but it seems unnecessary.

This is what i love about my fellow skins fans, always thinking about the positives and block out the negatives.

This is what I love about my fellow skins fans, always thinking about the negatives and block out the positives

Well, just like you can't say an offseason is horrible until a couple of years have passed, you can't say we had the best offseason, either. You know the old saying about hindsight and all that jazz..

Think about it..

When we got Deion Sanders, Mark Carrier, etc., I'm sure we all thought that was the best offseason ever. Arrington, Samuels..

Or how about when we filled our linebacking corps with Armstead and Trotter.

Or when we got Coles and Randy Thomas?

I bet we even thought Heath Shuler would be our savior when we first drafted him.

So far, I think LAST season was the best offseason if you forget about Brunell and Barrow. We got immediate contributors in Griffin, Springs, Thrash, and Washington. At first the general sentiment on some of the moves were negative (Griffin being overpaid, Springs being washed up, Thrash being "trash"), but look at how it turned out! And let's not forget Portis...

We'll see how this offseason pans out.

Originally posted by project myu

So far, I think LAST season was the best offseason if you forget about Brunell and Barrow. We got immediate contributors in Griffin, Springs, Thrash, and Washington. At first the general sentiment on some of the moves were negative (Griffin being overpaid, Springs being washed up, Thrash being "trash"), but look at how it turned out! And let's not forget Portis...

Although we certainly overpaid, I wouldn't call the acquisition of Barrow and Brunell complete negatives either. I have a feeling Brunell will be instrumental in Ramsey's growth as a player, and from what I've heard Barrow deserves credit for helping Pierce master the defense so quickly.

Archived