Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Redskins have had the best offseason in 9 years.

Guys the bottome line is that we didn't have those players for all or most of last year. Excellent players who have proved themselves within the Redskin organization. With them were better, period. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't ever remember losing that many starting players for the season.

I was on the sideline for every home game last year, Coles does not have the burst of the line, catching the ball and seperating from the defender which was his (YAC) dominate attribute, that he had before he broke his toe. He has become a possession receiver and he knows it. That why he orchestrated the release and subsequent trade. This is his last payday.

I've seen he toe in the lockeroom after games it looks like he has Gout. Why do you think the skins insisted upon the surgery, (50% chance it could end his career) and Gibbs subsequently took a nine million hit. Gibbs isn't stupid.

It's a bad deal for everyone, Jets, Skins and Coles. However the Redskins atleast got Moss out of it. Of course Coles got his big money. It's a sad thing, because Coles was an awesome lockeroom guy. After games he would take responsibility and answer every question, while Gardner was to busy getting his Bling-Bling out of the secured storage and talk his dates on his cell. I personally believe if he had taken five weeks off and let he toe heal none of this would have happened. His toe is so arthritic now he can't push off the same.

But Gibbs being the class act that he is-didn't say a word about any of this in the press after the trade.

Originally posted by Jay Master Jay

Pierce is so over rated it's not even funny. He lucks into a starting position and has a great year. Now he's the 2nd coming of Ray Lewis?? He was an known linebacker that had 1 count them 1 good year. Smoot is all mouth if we can lose Champ Bailey we can lose Smoot.

couldn't agree more...:cheers:

Originally posted by MCnDaHouse

I would have liked to have seen us trade down and get a 2nd round and 3rd round pick for that first. Then got Campbell in 2nd.

Of course who knows, Campbell might not have been there in 2nd round.

MC

Cleveland was on the record saying they would have drafted him with the #35 pick.

Originally posted by TLusby

Cleveland was on the record saying they would have drafted him with the #35 pick.

Green Bay also siad it was a tough call between him and Rodgers.

GreenBay also has a fairly good QB this year, or so I hear. They also had way more need on D than the Skins, but still went QB for future.

Losing Smoot and Pierce sucked, but all teams lose players. I don't think either player is irreplaceable. Certainly it doesn't make the off-season unsuccessful. I actually thought Gibbs took it harder than he needed to (at least in his public reaction). And Coles for Moss is not a bad deal, especially given that Coles had alienated many of his teammates (some of them former Jets as well) & could have a career-hampering injury. The worst thing one can say about the post-season is that Sean Taylor's playing silly games -- even that hasn't neared panic status yet.

Originally posted by KingdomBankcard

Look at this way if I told you that we would add John Jansen, Lavar Arrington, Matt Bowen, Philip Daniels, Casy Rabach, Santana Moss, David Patten, maybe Micheal Barrow. First round picks Cornerback Rodger and QB Campbell who would sit on the bench as a QB should and learn. Oh, all the same coaches are back for a second year, three turned down HC jobs to stay. And the players got to play in the same system for two years in a row for the first time in nine years. You would be freaking flipping out.

once you put it like that. also, with jansen and rabach on the line, portis will have better blockers. Imagine....

Hopefully Barrow can replace Pierce, if not, we'll still be good cuz arrington will be BETTER. plus, our DBs are nice.

so, im happy. you all should be too.

Look at this way if I told you that we would add John Jansen, Lavar Arrington, Matt Bowen, Philip Daniels, Casy Rabach, Santana Moss, David Patten, maybe Micheal Barrow. First round picks Cornerback Rodger and QB Campbell who would sit on the bench as a QB should and learn. Oh, all the same coaches are back for a second year, three turned down HC jobs to stay. And the players got to play in the same system for two years in a row for the first time in nine years. You would be freaking flipping out.

==================================

what are you smoking?

Three offered head coaching jobs? i know your smoking something now.

The redskins also lost Fred Smoot, which you fail to mention, as well as Antonio Peirce and Laverneous Coles, getting a less effective Santana Moss in return, and finally you have likely gained a worse chemistry in that you have Lavar back finally.

Right now, your season inst looking to bright. I'd say 8-8 would be a nice record, even slightly generous. I'm not being disrespectful, because your team has potential, but it doesnt look like that potential will be brought out this year.

The way I see it, losing Smoot wasn't a bad thing. Sure he had a good season last year, but I got the feeling that Williams wasn't as comfortable with Smoot as he was with Springs, and wanted to upgrade that position. That's exactly what he did with Rogers. I see Rogers as a step up from Smoot. So in the CB department, we stepped up a level.

Originally posted by RavensDefense3

==================================

what are you smoking?

Three offered head coaching jobs? i know your smoking something now.

The redskins also lost Fred Smoot, which you fail to mention, as well as Antonio Peirce and Laverneous Coles, getting a less effective Santana Moss in return, and finally you have likely gained a worse chemistry in that you have Lavar back finally.

Right now, your season inst looking to bright. I'd say 8-8 would be a nice record, even slightly generous. I'm not being disrespectful, because your team has potential, but it doesnt look like that potential will be brought out this year.

Don't know about the HC jobs, I think that is a reach. BUT to say this guy is smoking something and then come up with statements like we have lost Smoot and Pierce and that is going to hurt us well buddy you are smoking something. WTF is the fashination with Smoot? Before Williams got here Smoot was an average corner. After last year Smoot is still a very good number 2 corner. In all honesty I can't see that much difference between him and harris. You want prove just tell me how did smoot not playing hurt our pass defense. THAT was even with Sprints being out. Then we have Pierce. To you guys believe for a minute Gibbs would not have signed Pierce if he and Williams thought he was THAT important to the defense? This is the same Gibbs that went out and got Rogers for Williams man. You don't think Gibbs would have signed Pierce if Williams said to him "Joe Pierce is a must have"? Skill wise is his average, good against the run and very average against the pass. IMO Smoot was more than replaced by Rogers and you will see what I mean this year. I bet you anything when Rogers goes for the QB he will not catch air ofter like Smoot and he will be an upgrade in the run defense for the corner position.

As for Pierce if Barrow can't go then Marshall will step in there. I should think you would be comfortable with this guy because he is the reason we didn't miss Lavar much last year. If that doesn't say something about this guy nothing will.

As for Coles I have written this many times before. Coles had become a possession receiver. This guy was all speed and after 90 catches last year he had ONE freaking TD. don't know how many catches Moss will have next year but you can bet your coulo buddy he will have more than one TD because he will take a few of those passes downtown.

Originally posted by Art

Why that reaction to a true statement.

We didn't have two firsts this year. We had one. We traded one from next for a second from this. It's not like we gave it away. We got a year of development from a valuable position and player for a third and a fourth. I'll take that most of the time.

Hmmm never thought about it that way.. I still think we gave up to much.

Originally posted by Gothtimus

Hmmm never thought about it that way.. I still think we gave up to much.

Thinking we did is fine, as long as you realize we did not give up too much as it is typically and traditionally measured in the league. You are perfectly ok to think the typical and traditional measures used in the NFL are dumb, as long as you realize by those measures, the Redskins actually made a "good" deal under a majority of possible outcomes.

Originally posted by dallasfan

I'm pretty sure had a fan of another team said that this time last year, very few would agree.

That's because it's not true.

Smoot was great for us in three full years out of his four and for MOST of the one year he wasn't as good.

Originally posted by Craig

Your nuts

My nuts? Wha?

--------------------------------------------------

Losing Smoot will not hurt us. Rogers is the cornerback we wanted, and we would have been overpaying for Smoot, although I like him. Walt Harris, in my opinion, doesn't have many years left, but for the next season or two he's a very solid third corner, a dependable backup and valuable veteran teacher for the young defensive backs we're bringing in.

Our offseason moves have not been as flashy as usual, but they have been more calculated and will hopefully prove more effective. We shored up the center of our line with a free agent signing which garnered a minimum of attention and had a better draft than I believe the media gives us credit for.

I also don't understand how the return of Arrington destroys our team chemistry. Arrington has stated numerous times that regardless of the state of affairs between himself and the front office he will always work hard and play his best, and so far he's remained true to that.

Originally posted by Art

That's because it's not true.

Smoot was great for us in three full years out of his four and for MOST of the one year he wasn't as good.

Personally I was never a big Smoot fan, but atleast your honest enough to not change your opionion on him because he signed with another tearm

Originally posted by dfitzo53

My nuts? Wha?

--------------------------------------------------

Losing Smoot will not hurt us. Rogers is the cornerback we wanted, and we would have been overpaying for Smoot, although I like him. Walt Harris, in my opinion, doesn't have many years left, but for the next season or two he's a very solid third corner, a dependable backup and valuable veteran teacher for the young defensive backs we're bringing in.

Our offseason moves have not been as flashy as usual, but they have been more calculated and will hopefully prove more effective. We shored up the center of our line with a free agent signing which garnered a minimum of attention and had a better draft than I believe the media gives us credit for.

I also don't understand how the return of Arrington destroys our team chemistry. Arrington has stated numerous times that regardless of the state of affairs between himself and the front office he will always work hard and play his best, and so far he's remained true to that.

:laugh:

BUT to say this guy is smoking something and then come up with statements like we have lost Smoot and Pierce and that is going to hurt us well buddy you are smoking something.

=================================

You cant possibly go from a 6-10m team, and lose more players than you gain, thus losing more talent then you gained, and possibly hope to be much better. I am sticking with 8-8.

Our offseason moves have not been as flashy as usual

=========================

your kidding right? Snyder always forces the skins into big offseaosn moves and thats why the skins are sucking right now, too many veterans that are passed their prime and have big contracts.

Archived