Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

John Clayton's Draftday Winners & Losers.......

hobbs

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft05/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=2044649

Day one Winners, losers: Cowboys add playmakers to D-line

By John Clayton

ESPN.com

The NFL draft opened with the 49ers ignoring the financial consequences and drafting Utah quarterback Alex Smith and it ended with former Ohio State halfback Maurice Clarett hitting a little bit of a lottery by going in the third round.

Smith goes to the 49ers demanding more than Eli Manning's $45 million contract from a year ago. Clarett enters on a more humble basis, going three or four rounds higher than expected. It was a day in which first-round trades were surprisingly few (two) and winners outnumbered losers.

Winners

• Dallas Cowboys: Coach Bill Parcells was the clear big winner in the draft. He bulked up his front seven with the additions of linebackers Demarcus Ware and Kevin Burnett and defensive end Marcus Spears. Combine that with the free-agent signing of nose tackle Jason Ferguson, and the Cowboys have the flexibility to go to a 3-4 defensive scheme or stay in a hybrid 4-3. The key was getting Ware as the pass-rusher. The Cowboys were getting the word out they were taking Shawne Merriman, who ended up going a pick later to San Diego. But Ware is a Charles Haley-type talent who can be a pass-rusher from the four-man line and a pass-rushing linebacker in the 3-4. He was one of the most unique defensive talents in the draft. Spears is the ideal end for a 3-4 scheme -- a big, strong 300-pounder with some playmaking ability. Burnett is able to play inside or outside linebacker.

• Minnesota Vikings: This couldn't have worked out any better for Mike Tice and the Vikings. They got the speed receiver they sought in South Carolina wide receiver Troy Williamson and a right defensive end in Erasmus James of Wisconsin. Williamson will start out in packages as a deep threat because he is so good at running straight ahead downfield. James will be a pass-rusher from the right side of a defensive line that is loaded with talent. They have three first-rounders on the line -- James and Kenechi Udeze at ends and Kevin Williams at defensive tackle. Throw in free-agent signing Pat Williams at nose tackle and this might be one of the top three defensive lines in the game. They also may have found the long-term replacement for David Dixon in the second round with Marcus Johnson from Mississippi.

• Cleveland Browns: New general manager Phil Savage did it the Baltimore way -- he stayed patient and he made solid selections. By being patient, Savage didn't call the Dolphins, who were trying to fleece an extra pick out of them to trade up to No. 2 and take wide receiver Braylon Edwards of Michigan. He didn't rush the selection of quarterback Charlie Frye of Akron and ended up getting one of the steals of the draft in the third round. Brodney Pool was a low first-round talent drafted in the second round at free safety. Savage is changing seven starters on defense, but he knows he can't rush things. Edwards and Frye are the future. Pool will jump in as a starter. It's a great start.

• San Diego Chargers: The plan was to use one of the first-round choices on offense and another on defense. Plans change when things work out better. The Chargers got the pass-rusher they were hoping for in Shawne Merriman of Maryland and then pulled out the best nose tackle in the draft in Luis Castillo of Northwestern. In the second round, the Chargers added to the receiving corps with Vincent Jackson. Jamal Williams is one of the league's best nose tackles, but the Chargers lose when he's out of the lineup with injuries. As Williams goes, so goes the defense. Having Castillo there gives the Chargers a one-two punch in stopping the run. Merriman will add sacks, and that will take pressure off the cornerbacks in passing situations. Jackson upgrades the team at wide receiver. The help in the defensive front seven came a lot cheaper than trying to go for a veteran defensive end such as Simeon Rice.

• Philadelphia Eagles: Like the Patriots, the Eagles have the luxury of looking ahead. Though they could have used a tackle to help them if Tra Thomas shows some age because of concerns about his knee, the Eagles draft solid, good players who can be groomed into future starters. That strategy worked a couple years ago when they drafted cornerbacks Lito Sheppard and Sheldon Brown and safety Michael Lewis. Defensive tackle Mike Patterson was a smart move because Corey Simon is on a one-year franchise tag and Hollis Thomas wants to be traded. Reggie Brown is the wide receiver who can take over when they move Freddie Mitchell. Matt McCoy is a linebacker brought in for depth, which was needed after the release of Nate Wayne. Too bad the Eagles couldn't have used their third-round choice to get Travis Henry, but they feel they got a good back in Ryan Moats. Henry for Moats, though, might have made this one of the top two draft days.

Losers

• Seattle Seahawks: The Seahawks were victims of circumstance. Timing is everything and their timing was all wrong. They found that out when they tried to trade halfback Shaun Alexander during an offseason that featured the best running back draft in years. Drafting No. 23, the Seahawks tried to be aggressive in trade talks, but they hit the stingiest first round for trades in recent memory. The plan was to offer a third- and fourth-rounder to move up to get Erasmus James, Demarcus Ware or Thomas Davis. Nobody bit on the trades. They tried to offer a second-rounder in 2006 to entice teams. Nobody wanted to move, so the Seahawks traded back to take center Chris Spencer. General manager Tim Ruskell loves USC middle linebacker Lofa Tatupu, but the second round might have been a little early. In the third round the Seahawks got David Greene to groom as a backup quarterback.

• Buffalo Bills: The Bills held on to Travis Henry too long in trade talks and didn't get value. They hoped to get Arizona, Tampa Bay or Philadelphia to give them at least a third-round choice. But all three teams got their backs in the draft. The Bucs took Cadillac Williams. The Cardinals opted to take J.J. Arrington in the second round rather than offering a third-round choice to the Bills. The Eagles took Ryan Moats. The Bills selected good players -- wide receiver Roscoe Parrish and tight end Kevin Everett. But they still didn't get help for their offensive line.

• Denver Broncos: Organizationally, the Broncos, like the Cowboys last year, profited by making a bold trade. No one can question the move to get a No. 1 and No. 4 in 2006 from the Redskins along with a third-round choice by giving up their No. 1 pick. But taking three cornerbacks is a little shaky and does nothing to help their other units. The Broncos were obviously looking to the future by taking cornerbacks Darrent Williams, Karl Paymah and Domonique Foxworth. At best, only one will break into the nickel spot this year. Their special teams might be better, but the Broncos didn't do enough for this year. Then they made matters worse by ending the first day of the draft by selecting former Ohio State running back Maurice Clarett. At this juncture, Clarett seems more like a practice squad player than a back ready to step in and make an impact. The Cowboys sacrificed some of the 2004 season by looking ahead to 2005. The Broncos plan to go to the Super Bowl every year. While this draft may be great for 2006, what about 2005?

John Clayton is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

I thought the cowboys' draft was rather ordinary.

2 DE's and a OLB...

with a very suspect secondary, 2 washed up QB's, a ho-hum receiving corps, an aging Oline, and an unproven running back.

Am I the only one who feels this way?

Originally posted by zoony

2 DE's and a OLB...

with a very suspect secondary, 2 washed up QB's, a ho-hum receiving corps, an aging Oline, and an unproven running back.

Nah I thought that too. You can't fix everything at once, and their linebackers are getting old just like the rest of the team. Marcellus Wiley wasn't what they had hoped for. I wouldn't have spent two picks on ends, but I don't think you can say they had a bad draft either. (And I realize you didn't say that, I'm not putting words in your mouth.)

I doubt we'll see ourselves on a "loser" list based on the players themselves. Maybe for the picks we gave up, but I doubt even that since we only gave up a 3rd this year.

Reasoning is because, despite what we think (and probably know) about our quarterback situation, how many times have we seen sports analysts claim that the Redskins need a quarterback?

If sports analysts claim we had a bad day because we picked Aaron Campbell even though we have Ramsey, they'd just be contradicting themselves.

Originally posted by project myu

I doubt we'll see ourselves on a "loser" list based on the players themselves. Maybe for the picks we gave up, but I doubt even that since we only gave up a 3rd this year.

Reasoning is because, despite what we think (and probably know) about our quarterback situation, how many times have we seen sports analysts claim that the Redskins need a quarterback?

If sports analysts claim we had a bad day because we picked Aaron Campbell even though we have Ramsey, they'd just be contradicting themselves.

Or Jason Campbell for that matter...lol

2 DE's and a OLB...

a) The Cowboy draft wasn't fan sexy. It didn't contain a name QB, WR or RB. But in the NFL you win with defense and Dallas got argueably three* first round talents (w/2 top 20 players) to rebuild their front 7. Add Jason Ferguson to that mix and they will be considerably better up front next year.

An improved front seven improves their back four as they won't have to blitz every down to get pressure on the QB. Now they can cover 2 you to death knowing that their going to get pressure with their front 4.

*Burnett was considered a possible 1st round talent before a knee injury *

Bledsoe isn't "washed up". Once Buffalo gave him a consistant running game I think they won something like 6 out of their last 7. He can still throw the ball as well as anyone in the game so it's not like he's Mark Brunell Pt. II.

Dallas' WR corp really missed Terry Glenn last year. With him back he'll gives them the deep threat to open up stuff underneath for Key Shawn Johnson & Jason Whitten.

Julius Jones almost ran for 1000k yards as a rookie and he missed 8 games with an injury. He might be the best back in the division next year.

I sure do feel better that Joe Gibbs is in it for the long haul, cuz it sure ain't happening in the short haul. Three of the "winners" in the draft are in the NFC, two of which reside in the East, and one of which is our most hated rival. In my opinion, you might as well put us on the "loser" list because I don't care what anyone says, our draft scares nobody.

I say we don't spend one more minute bashing the Eagles draft, the Cowboys draft or anyone elses draft for that matter. Let's take a long hard look at what we needed to accomplish and didn't. What a total joke of a front office we have in DC. Dan Snyder is all about the $$$. The Redskins make money while getting trashed on the field. Not a single thing happened today or this entire offseason to make me think things will be different in '05.

2 DE's and a OLB...

I feel the same...except the part about Julius Jones. I'm not sending him to Canton yet, but I think he's done more than enough to show he's a capable NFL back. Any HB selections they make should be for depth only (ie: 4-7 round picks)

As long as owner Jerry Jones maintains the role of general manager for the Cowboys, I do not know if I'll have a great deal of worry over how well they are drafting. We remember their draft a couple of years ago with Bryant and Gurode that had pundits and Cowboy fans talking about how great it was, and, it WAS if you tend to believe everything you see on draft sites leading up to drafts.

In this case, I just don't think I worry much over a top pick who played college at Troy or whatever. I like Spears in the 3-4 at defensive end, but, he's a guy in my view who will be more like Wynn and even Daniels if he works out in the league than a real threat on the defensive line.

If the moves work out the Cowboys will have nice depth and flexibility over time. I don't dislike anything they did. I just don't think it was among the better drafts in any way.

As a Cowboy fan I'm OK with this draft. I don't think it is the type of draft that saves a franchise, but BP got everything he wanted. They were even trying to trade up for Spears, but couldn't find a trade partner... they got him anyways.

I'm happy they got the guys they wanted but this was a weak draft. I really wanted to see Dallas trade down for picks next year. I think the mid 1st round picks this year would have been 2nd rounders next year. This was the year to get out of the 1st round if you can. Next year should be stocked because there are a lot of great players that didnt declare and the owners are trying to reduce rookie salaries. I think almost all eligable players will come out next year.

I give Dallas a B.

My first post. I'm a Cowboys Fan.

First off, I'm not here to start trouble.

I know whos turf I'm on. I'll try not to step on any toes.

Let me first say, I couldn't be any happier with the way the draft went for the Cowboys. We filled needs without reaching at all, and got great value for where we picked.

Now for the skins draft.

#9 Carlos Rogers

#25 Jason Campbell

I was afraid your draft would look like this:

#9 Mike Williams

#25 One of the good pass rushers

I agree with the Rogers pick, I don't know why #25 would go to Campbell. Thats not a knock on Campbell, but I think your team has more needs than another young QB. Don't get me wrong, I love that you guys drafted like that, but I don't understand why.

Originally posted by EveryoneElse

#9 Mike Williams

#25 One of the good pass rushers

I agree with the Rogers pick, I don't know why #25 would go to Campbell. Thats not a knock on Campbell, but I think your team has more needs than another young QB. Don't get me wrong, I love that you guys drafted like that, but I don't understand why.

Thanks for being cordial.

To answer your question ... I think it comes down to a few reasons:

1) The strength of the Redskins is their defense: Adding a playmaker WR won't do enough on offense to offset the loss of Smoot on defense. The offense needs to get together first, so a playmaker won't fix things.

2) If you want to fix your offense, having consistency and stability at the QB position will pay more dividends overall than having a premier wide receiver -- A wide receiver can't have success if the scheme and especially the QB position are unpredictable. As much as I like Patrick Ramsey, he hasn't proven enough yet, and the bench behind him was looking shaky.

3) Gibbs, like Parcells, seems to prefer the lunchpail-hardworder-type over the big money premodonnas. But, unlike Parcells, Gibbs doesn't "push the buttons" of the big money players to make them perform -- He'll just get rid of them and try to find a lunchpail player to fill their place. So, those picks in the upper round must have great value and the tough-guy, lunchpail spirit.

In my view Gibbs is playing to his strength, defense, while expecting that he can get more production out of his offensive unit through continued experience, rather than additions.

The wild card in all of this are the line coaches, especially Joe Bugel: Can he make a dominant line out of the players we have? He did it with average Joes in San Diego, so I have faith. :)

2 DE's and a OLB...

they are going to a 3-4 so these guys are needed, Bledsoe is far from washed up

Originally posted by jbooma

Plus they can't say we had a terrible draft since we selected the guys we had on top of our board, Joe got the players he targeted, how can that be labeled a bad draft?

It's all BS speculation anyway. It's not like Clayton knows which of these players will be great 5 years fom now. If he did he wouldn't be writing opinion for ESPN.

Archived