Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

John Clayton's Draftday Winners & Losers.......

hobbs

Originally posted by EveryoneElse

My first post. I'm a Cowboys Fan.

First off, I'm not here to start trouble.

I know whos turf I'm on. I'll try not to step on any toes.

Let me first say, I couldn't be any happier with the way the draft went for the Cowboys. We filled needs without reaching at all, and got great value for where we picked.

Nice Post, good job. Much as it pains me to agree with you, I think you are right. Dallas got who they targeted, exactly who they wanted. It remains to be seen whether they work out, just b/c JJ and BP like them does not mean, as Art pointed out earlier, that they are bonafide All-Pros. I think that is the only way to base a draft grade (which is inanely studpid while the draft is going on, or even the day after, by the way) at this point, by whether or not the team got what they wanted. Dallas did, so they did well.

Originally posted by RiggoDrill

Thanks for being cordial.

To answer your question ... I think it comes down to a few reasons:

1) The strength of the Redskins is their defense: Adding a playmaker WR won't do enough on offense to offset the loss of Smoot on defense. The offense needs to get together first, so a playmaker won't fix things.

2) If you want to fix your offense, having consistency and stability at the QB position will pay more dividends overall than having a premier wide receiver -- A wide receiver can't have success if the scheme and especially the QB position are unpredictable. As much as I like Patrick Ramsey, he hasn't proven enough yet, and the bench behind him was looking shaky.

3) Gibbs, like Parcells, seems to prefer the lunchpail-hardworder-type over the big money premodonnas. But, unlike Parcells, Gibbs doesn't "push the buttons" of the big money players to make them perform -- He'll just get rid of them and try to find a lunchpail player to fill their place. So, those picks in the upper round must have great value and the tough-guy, lunchpail spirit.

In my view Gibbs is playing to his strength, defense, while expecting that he can get more production out of his offensive unit through continued experience, rather than additions.

The wild card in all of this are the line coaches, especially Joe Bugel: Can he make a dominant line out of the players we have? He did it with average Joes in San Diego, so I have faith. :)

Exactly right. I like the Rogers pick. By passing up Williams, Gibbs showed us all that Rogers is the guy he wanted all along. So was Campbell, apparently. So by that logic, we should have also got an A. ;)

To me, the Campbell pick is puzzling, but just re-emphasizes what we suspected, that Gibbs does not believe in Ramsey. So the question is, do you trust Gibbs? Gibbs has a decent track record with QBs, and has never really had a franchise QB for the long haul. If he saw something in Campbell that impressed him that much that Campbell might be our franchise QB, this will turn out to be a terrific draft for us. Especially if Rogers works out to be even a fairly good CB. Give Ramsey this next year, and if the inconsistency is there, if the statue tendencies, and the locking into one receiver as well, then I think Gibbs may go ahead and cut the cord with him, and see what we can get via trade. The interesting choice then will be what to do with Brunell. As for this year, I know people keep saying we have 4 QBs, but Brunells cap hit is the only exorbinant one. And he is practically unmoveable. Ramseys contract is very palatable, as is, obviously Hasselbeck's.

So the questions is, do you trust Gibbs?

Trust is fading fast!

We now have a 3rd last year, 3rd this year and a 1st and 4th next year, two big contracts (as soon as Campbell signs) invested in back up QBs. What the hell was JG thinking????????????????????????????????

Trust is fading very fast!

Originally posted by goaldeje

Implicitly and w/o question? Nope.

Do I believe he believes that he is doing what is best for the team? Yes...I trust that Joe Gibbs believes he is doing what is best for our Washington Redskins.

JG is a legend. He deserves respect and I admire him for what he's done in the past. That said - he is not infallable and beyond reproach.

Right now I'm pretty nervous about this year. I didn't like the draft for us so far. Happy w/ Rogers - would have preferred Williams......too much for Campbell and think other needs could have been addressed now......I keep reading about the depth at WR - I don't see it. Ramsey, Brunell, Campbell, Hasselbeck or anybody is gonna have a tough time making these guys look good.......but what is done is done.

Hopefully Gibbs will show everyone why I'm not a hall of fame coach and he is.

Originally posted by Buck812

Trust is fading fast!

We now have a 3rd last year, 3rd this year and a 1st and 4th next year, two big contracts (as soon as Campbell signs) invested in back up QBs. What the hell was JG thinking????????????????????????????????

No one knew Brunell was as washed up as he was/is until he was back under center last year. Coach Gibbs recognized the slip-up, took the initiative, and now the team has a promising young QB in the stable. Moves like that build trust.

Now if Coach had gone out and signed another washed up veteran QB; that would have been a concern.

Originally posted by tex

No one knew Brunell was as washed up as he was/is until he was back under center last year. Coach Gibbs recognized the slip-up, took the initiative, and now the team has a promising young QB in the stable. Moves like that build trust.

Now if Coach had gone out and signed another washed up veteran QB; that would have been a concern.

If no one new it then why do I have this same sick feeling today I had then? If my memory serves me correctly, it took JG more than half the season to realize what everyone else new from that dark day in Redskin history day that he made the Brunell trade. Now we have another memorable day to reflect upon. No wonder we are the laughing stock of the NFL. Denver is going to be laughing all of the way to a top 10 pick next year b/c of JGs stupidity.

Originally posted by Buck812

Not with me. He (Gibbs) is proving that the Skins were hurting in more areas than Skins fans even thought up to and including QB (With Ramsey) and WR (With Gardner and Coles). Positions that most diehard Skins fans would defend to the end in a debate. But guess what? *WITH* those players starting? The Skins won 5 and followed it with 6 wins. And the offense was inept at best. Sure, blame can be passed on several fronts, but let's be realistic here. Ramsey will get "His Chance" out of the gate. If he falter's? Hopefully Gibbs makes a switch by game 3 or 4 instead of 9. As for WR M. Williams. I was watching the NFL Network and Mike Mayock said "Williams will excell in a West Coast Offense" the Skins will try to be more of a "vertical" offense. It wasn't a perfect match for Williams in DC. Detroit runs a WCO and even though they already have WR's Charles Rogers, Roy Williams, and newly signed Kevin Johnson, Az Hakim too, they jumped all over Mike Williams. My trust overall in Gibbs was a 10, now is a 8.5 but still is solid. He said when he 1st came back that it (rebuilding) would take time. We just have to be patient.:2cents:

Archived