Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

(merged) CNNSI: Coles cries like a baby

Dirk Diggler

Originally posted by GURU

Amazing! A lot of us simply assumed that the problems in the passing game started, first, with Brunell, and the offensive line.

Well, I'm starting to wonder if many of Brunell's problems started with the receivers. Makes you wonder, when both of your starters are basically in revolt from the beginning because the head coach wants to establish the run more. Makes you wonder if they took their route running and their film study seriously. Gibbs' offense requires receivers to make adjustments on the run, and the QB and WRs must see the same thing. In that context, some of the reasons for the offensive struggles become a little more clear.

And when you see quotes like "We'd shake our heads and wonder where we fit in every time we saw a game plan," you realize that Gibbs didn't have the "super smart" players he's always talking about starting at WR. Wonder where they fit in, indeed! You know, when certain players can't figure out where they fit in the context of an entire team trying to win games, they need to go.

Coles didn't feel "respected" as a player. Well, if you know anything about Coles, at all, you would realize he hasn't felt respected anywhere he's gone. When Snyder signed him a couple of years ago, I thought maybe he was growing up and getting ready to come into his own as a player and a person. How wrong I was.

Good riddence!

Agreed...great post. Coles has always been 'upset' wherever he's been. Wasn't he always PO'd at FSU because Warrick was getting all the hype?

As for positive comments about the Redskins, Coles is working on that. He's already reconciled with Snyder and there's even been some progress made with Gibbs. "We came to the conclusion that if we met in the street, we could shake hands and be cordial," Coles said of Gibbs. "But that's about it."

Right, LC. All of the previous 95% of the article won't burn any more bridges....

What an idiot....and, it looks like he was a quitter, too.

Guys, because someone is acting like an arse doesn't mean there isn't some TRUTH to what they're saying.

We were all there this season watching that horrid AND PREDICTABLE offense. You can talk about how they didn't give 100 percent or any of that other junk, but let's face it, these guys have been productive before, and it's not like we never passed the ball this year.

Look at the tape of Brunell overthrowing Coles who was wide open past the secondary against Chicago and tell me the fault lies with Coles. The only reason we were even IN the Dallas game at FedEx was Gardner.

The offense WAS horrible. Sorry, it's true. And everyone from CLINTON PORTIS to Coles was talking about it. You think there's NO truth to what Coles is saying?

Then you're a fool. Gibbs isn't infallible. He's a better MAN than Coles, but that doesn't mean he didn't make a lot of mistakes this year. When they looked at the gameplan, they saw a scared Gibbs afraid to take chances cuz he had a great D and was terrified of turnovers.

"I know everything changed [when Gibbs succeeded Spurrier] but when you feel like you're one of the best players at your position, you'd think you could talk to a coach about the play-calling. We didn't have that situation. He called the plays. We ran them. That's where things fell off with me. I realize it's a dictatorship but there's only so much you can take."

Curse that Joe Gibbs for wanting to call his own plays! The nerve of him not to let coles coach!!

trez, My guess is that Coles didn't want to "coach" but that he had ideas about what worked for him and what might work for the passing game and didn't feel like he was going to be listened to. Now that could be all in his head, or it could be that it was too much like Spurrier's O and thus was incompatible.

Unlike just about everyone else on this thread, I'm not going to forget what a great deal of us were thinking and saying about the offense this year (INCLUDING Art.)

I can separate my feelings about Coles from the nuggets of truth in his comments.

I dont care if Coles is 100% correct in everything he said. He is still reaming the franchise and now flaming it to the media and burning bridges. He can't get out of washington fast enough for my tastes anymore. I have a lot of respect for his talent on the field, and i used to give him the benefit of the doubt off the field but not after these comments. Goodbye LC and good riddance.

Coles didn't trust Gibbs!? He felt like Gibbs didn't respect the players and was a dictator!?

Coles should make some good money at the Comedy Club in

NY. He must be rehearsing his standup routine with statements

like that about Gibbs.

You listen to all his former players and they portray Gibbs

completely different.

Coles, give me a break and while you're at it...:stfu:

Originally posted by Rikus

I dont care if Coles is 100% correct in everything he said. He is still reaming the franchise and now flaming it to the media and burning bridges. He can't get out of washington fast enough for my tastes anymore. I have a lot of respect for his talent on the field, and i used to give him the benefit of the doubt off the field but not after these comments. Goodbye LC and good riddance.

Roger that. :silly:

I don't give a rat's *** what truth about the offense is in there, Coles is a rediculous person and I'm glad he's gone.

Originally posted by Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin

trez, My guess is that Coles didn't want to "coach" but that he had ideas about what worked for him and what might work for the passing game and didn't feel like he was going to be listened to. Now that could be all in his head, or it could be that it was too much like Spurrier's O and thus was incompatible.

Unlike just about everyone else on this thread, I'm not going to forget what a great deal of us were thinking and saying about the offense this year (INCLUDING Art.)

I can separate my feelings about Coles from the nuggets of truth in his comments.

actually to me, it sounds like Coles made up his mind about Gibbs before the season began, and just looked for reasons to confirm his beliefs so he could justify his decesion to bolt.

Guys, because someone is acting like an arse doesn't mean there isn't some TRUTH to what they're saying.

I agree to a point, but for different reasons.

The beginning of the season, we had shoddy OL play combined with a QB who was a shadow of his former self. Combine both and you have real problems. The line play got a little better, but the QB play got worse. Then Ramsey came in, once he got comfy with the Offense, but the line play still wasn't great. I also think Coach Gibbs realized his WR's maybe weren't as good as he though.

Look how often we went downfield with Coles versus the other guys. We didn't do it that often at all, but look at the percentage of plays that went Coles' way. I'd say he got the fewest of any and was used more as a possession guy when it came down to it. It looked to me that maybe, just maybe, the Coach saw something that made him believe LC couldn't get a good burst of speed or separation. I'm sure the toe had a lot to do with that. Now, take a guy who lost his primary weapon (his speed) and add a healthy dose of lousy attitude along with a sprinkle of indifference/denial on the toe issue and you get a guy who isn't worth the sum of his parts. Not at all. They didn't even go downfield to him more often when Ramsey came in. Most of his stuff was intermediate through the middle or screens. Yay.

The RG issue is a little more simple, once you think about it. For every game he had like that Dallas game, he'd have 3-4-5 where he just hid away for four quarters. He go back to dropping passes, blocking like a Girl Scout and barely working up a sweat running his routes. Once the team took those into consideration, it was a no-brainer when he asked for permission to get a trade.

I think Gibbs had serious doubts about his WR play, then the line.

Nick

Originally posted by bubba9497

actually to me, it sounds like Coles made up his mind about Gibbs before the season began, and just looked for reasons to confirm his beliefs so he could justify his decesion to bolt.

I agree, in part, bubba. I think I've maintained that since this Coles stuff broke that a combination of factors, including Coles own whininess led to this breakup.

But that doesn't mean I'm going to ignore the wretched state of the offense for most of the season(boonell and getting Pat acclimated.) I think it would be unfair to neglect the role that that played in Coles continued unhappiness.

Or to put it another way, I think Coles wariness would have been assuaged had we gone down the field like the old Gibbs teams did. Now, don't talk to me about the reasons why that happened, I'm just making a statement that Coles would have "gotten happy" had the offense been anything like what I expected Gibbs to establish here.

We were all there this season watching that horrid AND PREDICTABLE offense. You can talk about how they didn't give 100 percent or any of that other junk, but let's face it, these guys have been productive before, and it's not like we never passed the ball this year.

Look at the tape of Brunell overthrowing Coles who was wide open past the secondary against Chicago and tell me the fault lies with Coles. The only reason we were even IN the Dallas game at FedEx was Gardner.

The offense WAS horrible. Sorry, it's true. And everyone from CLINTON PORTIS to Coles was talking about it. You think there's NO truth to what Coles is saying?

Then you're a fool. Gibbs isn't infallible. He's a better MAN than Coles, but that doesn't mean he didn't make a lot of mistakes this year. When they looked at the gameplan, they saw a scared Gibbs afraid to take chances cuz he had a great D and was terrified of turnovers.

Which "nuggets of truth" are you seeing that negate or override the dumptruck loads of b.s. Coles is spouting off about??...The fact that the offense wasn't high octane enough?? Don't forget, Coles was b*tching about the offence before the Skins had even played a pre-season game! He was against Gibbs' scheme from the get-go, and from his childish rants in the press it's not a stretch to believe that he never gave it his full time and energy...Coles has NEVER been in charge, or even involved, in an offensive scheme that has lead to the ultimate success: Superbowl wins. Gibbs has for over 12 years.

And he thinks Gibbs didn't show HIM enough respect??...F*ck that.

It is now confirmed that Coles is a complete moron.

Not happy that you had to play in a run first offense? You had 90 catches you little *****!!! The most you had in your career! Maybe if you did what the doctors recommended and had the damn toe fixed you could have done more with those 90 opportunities.

Good bye.

Nick, I agree, to a point. *parrot*

I think the impact of Boonell's horrid play was far greater than we realized. Not only did it force Gibbs to start calling games in a manner completely different than what we saw with Ramsey at the end of the year, but we saw wide open receivers getting missed or thrown hospital balls, among them Coles.

And considering that Mark was in for half the year and then Ramsey was getting acclimated for about 3-4 games---well, I think it was too late for the turnaround late in the season to make a difference.

So, the truth in the Coles statement is that the playcalling sucked. Forget the STYLE, it WAS predictable. Let us not forget Portis' complaint. Every week that went by, I thought it was more valid. He kept shut because Buges got on him, but the truth was there.

This offense was predictable and boring and unexplosive AS MUCH because of the coaching decisions as anyone.

If Gibbs wanted big plays in the intermediate range or in the red zone, he could have put in McCants. It's that kind of stubborness to refuse to look at a guy who caught 6 TDs that I'm looking at.

People have to put the whole Coles-***** aspect aside when analyzing the situation en toto.

I agree, in part, bubba. I think I've maintained that since this Coles stuff broke that a combination of factors, including Coles own whininess led to this breakup.

But that doesn't mean I'm going to ignore the wretched state of the offense for most of the season(boonell and getting Pat acclimated.) I think it would be unfair to neglect the role that that played in Coles continued unhappiness.

Or to put it another way, I think Coles wariness would have been assuaged had we gone down the field like the old Gibbs teams did. Now, don't talk to me about the reasons why that happened, I'm just making a statement that Coles would have "gotten happy" had the offense been anything like what I expected Gibbs to establish here.

The ONLY thing that played into Coles being disgruntled the way he was is his own character...if last season's offensive output was all it took to turn Coles into an infantile, disgruntled player, then half the players on the Redskins would be out there echoing his sentiments...NOT trying to get him off the team.

I think what everyone is overlooking is the fact that our offense was bad all-around last season.

It would be different if we were a SCORING MACHINE, but only using Portis and Tight Ends or something, however what did Coles expect the results to be last season playing in a bad offense?

Archived