Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone else dying for definitive news on Smoot/Pierce/Samuels

NoCalMike

Since I am on the west coast, by the time I hit the computer at work in the morning, anything big will have already been mentioned by the east-coasters. Every day for the past week or so I log on with some much anticipation for learning SOMETHING. I mean even if the definitive news is BAD for the Skins, at least we know. I hate being stuck in limbo as a fan(not as much as the organization though, I bet).........I guess I have to keep hope alive something will hit soon.

:point2sky

Originally posted by NoCalMike

Since I am on the west coast, by the time I hit the computer at work in the morning, anything big will have already been mentioned by the east-coasters. Every day for the past week or so I log on with some much anticipation for learning SOMETHING. I mean even if the definitive news is BAD for the Skins, at least we know. I hate being stuck in limbo as a fan(not as much as the organization though, I bet).........I guess I have to keep hope alive something will hit soon.

:point2sky

I know EXACTLY what you mean. I know the DEADLINE is March, but that doesn't mean we can't take care of people right now. Walter Jones, Eric Moulds, Bledsoe, Garcia, Rod Smith, Rudi Johnson......... All have been dealt with. We could at least take care of one of these 3. Or just hear that one is really close. Something!

Rumors should ratchet up by next week with free agency getting closer. That should be pretty entertaining. :) Basically, wait for the Times to report that anyone of the 3 is all but gone and that's when one should be signed the next day. ;)

Yeah. If we get Smoot back, that would be great, but he's pulling a Bailey on us. That's bull**** if you ask me man... Smoot has always been talking sh*t about how he bleeds burgundy and gold, and how he's such a team player and all. If he was such a team player, he would take a pay cut, let alone ask for a raise. That's just bull****. What a lying little f*cker.

Lates.

Originally posted by AkaD

Yeah. If we get Smoot back, that would be great, but he's pulling a Bailey on us. That's bull**** if you ask me man... Smoot has always been talking sh*t about how he bleeds burgundy and gold, and how he's such a team player and all. If he was such a team player, he would take a pay cut, let alone ask for a raise. That's just bull****. What a lying little f*cker.

Lates.

yeah, he should play for league min. :doh:

geez

Originally posted by bubba9497

yeah, he should play for league min. :doh:

geez

:laugh:

Man when are people going to realize that this is a business and you cant get mad at a player that is going after their big payday...In Smoot's case he doesnt have a realistic view of what exactly he is worth but you still cant blame him for getting what he can get while he can get it...

Not. He'd rather retire than play for rookie money. lol!! He might go to another team and get about half the salary he signed with us for. I seriously doubt he starts anywhere, but he will definitely be paid handsomely to be a back-up. The NY Jets have problems with Pennington and injuries... and Quincy Carter is talking about leaving, so look for them to get a solid back-up for him. Brunell will go either to a team that is totally desperate for a starter or needs a back-up quarterback that has experience. He could definitely come right in and replace a starter. Not too many 2nd stringers can do that. Most 2nd stringers are starting QB failures like Gus Ferrotte, Jeff George, and Jeff Hostettler. I think he'll be released and signed pretty soon, but there's a chance he isn't picked up at all. We'll see.

Lates.

Is anyone else extremely aggitated that we will be losing two star Cb's in back to back years? How is it we go out and pay deon and smith, but we won't pay Smoot? The extra money he is asking for equals out to be and extra 500k a year. Will someone please explain to me how 500k is too much for someone who has played his a** off for us to ask?

I am a fan of Pierce, him being from the U of A, but I think Smoot is more important to this D.

:logo: :2cents:

Smith and Deion were nearly 5 years ago they were mistakes but something we have largley avoided doing.

Everyone says how come we never pay our own but through the nose for FAs I think it is because our players have an over inflated sence of self worth. For example Smoot is looking for really top 3 CB money but it is debatable weather he is even the best CB on our team,

That said he may get the money he is looking for but I really don't think he will ever be worth it . Rember Darrel Gardner a couple of years ago had one great year here then went looking for BIG money after saying he wants to be here for the rest of his career and what has happened to him since ? We do resign some players Janse, Albright and McCantsn spring to mind.

I really like Smoot and Peirce but sometimes you think players say they like being here because they know Dans reputation as a free spender . The thing is it is not just us who has trouble keeping hold of its stars Philly for example has no quarms dropping what appear to be key players when they become too expensive and the rule is still in place even in FA that no-one player is bigger than the team

Originally posted by bedlamVR

Smith and Deion were nearly 5 years ago they were mistakes but something we have largley avoided doing.

Everyone says how come we never pay our own but through the nose for FAs I think it is because our players have an over inflated sence of self worth. For example Smoot is looking for really top 3 CB money but it is debatable weather he is even the best CB on our team,

That said he may get the money he is looking for but I really don't think he will ever be worth it . Rember Darrel Gardner a couple of years ago had one great year here then went looking for BIG money after saying he wants to be here for the rest of his career and what has happened to him since ? We do resign some players Janse, Albright and McCantsn spring to mind.

I really like Smoot and Peirce but sometimes you think players say they like being here because they know Dans reputation as a free spender . The thing is it is not just us who has trouble keeping hold of its stars Philly for example has no quarms dropping what appear to be key players when they become too expensive and the rule is still in place even in FA that no-one player is bigger than the team

Brunell??? Trotter??? Those names ring a bell? we have not avoided anything except paying our own when it comes time to do it. McCants was signed to a small contract, Pierce got a one year contract.

Both are UFA's. I'm surprised Smoot isn't restricted since its his rookie contract that's up. Pierce's contract ended last season and was a RFA. We resigned him in the offseason for less than the Vikings offered (Nice of Antonio to do that). Now that this contract is up he's unrestricted.

Brunell??? Trotter??? Those names ring a bell? we have not avoided anything except paying our own when it comes time to do it. McCants was signed to a small contract, Pierce got a one year contract.

Trotter was 24 or 25 when he first signed with us. He had just come off a monster year and Snyder invisioned him being like a Ray Lewis for us. Although we gave him way to much money and his play for us was piss poor. I can't fault Dan for that one.

Brunell was Gibbs's call. While I didn't agree with the move, Brunell was clearly the best FA qb at the time. (Note Warner, Garcia, Collins were not available yet). While Brunell statisticly was the worst starting QB in the league last year, Ramsey did nothing to invoke confidence in the pre-season or early in the season.

Something that i think is lost on many of you is why on earth you'd think players would want to come to this team other than for a payday. Sad state but true. We've been the equivilent of the Bungles and Chargers for over a decade now. We wouldn't be able to get any talent on this team unless we overpayed to get it.

Guest BleedinBurgundyandGold

Anyone have the dates on some of the moves we made last year? I seem to remember Brunell being a February deal, Portis early March..... both were trades though so we might have been a little spoiled when it comes to the time in which we land our guys...JMO

Brunell was an early trade that happened officially as soon as FA started. Same with Portis.

We had permission to sign Daniels from chicago just before FA started.

Springs, Griffin, Rasby, Tupa, Harris, Ralph Brown (who we cut) were early FA just when it opened or during the first week.

Barrow was mid april.

I think i got all that :)

Archived