Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trotter or Pierce Straight Up

red zone

I think AP is a more cerebral player then Trotter. I think Williams systems requires more thinking, reading and reacting which probably is not Trotters strong suit. Thus why Marvin benched him a couple of times.

AP is more of a Belichek type of defensive player. Trotter more Buddy Ryan type.

I agree that New England is the best coached team in football. They will exploit Trotter.

I liked trotter...one demensional or not...but Antonio Pierce is more versatile and seems to be the better fit for the Skins, as Trotter with the areas he excelles in, seems better suited for the Eagles. and his heart was never here..kinda showed to me...he plays with way more fire/emotion than he ever did in DC. oh well. dont miss him that much.

who could possibly want Trotter here after he said he left his 'heart' in Philly and was 'out of his element' in DC? :)

I still think it is funny that Trotter talked about the lack of discipline here under Steve Spurrier, mentioning all the cell phones going off during meetings, and then Jon Jansen outted him by saying that TROTTER was one of the players that got the most calls! :laugh: :laugh:

Trotter I think is a guy that will say ANYTHING to justify what he wants at the time.

He hated Reid and said the Eagles refused to treat him like a man back in 2002.

Now, he is in heaven and questions how he could ever have left the faithful in Philly? :laugh:

Originally posted by FBChick

My take. Williams saw Trotter and Pierce and let Trotter go and kept Pierce. Enough said!

They told Trotter not to report so I doubt Williams got to see him do anything and as for Pierce you left out the part about them signing Barrow and Pierce playing only because Barrow was hurt. I think it would have been interesting to see what Trotter could have done in Williams system. Coming back from the knee injury in 03 he had more tackles and double the passes defensed that Pierce had in 04 with the bulk of his tackles coming the last half of the season when his knee started to feel right. Before he came to the Skins he called the D signals for J Johnson in Philly so he's no dummy. The way it was handled it smacked of a cap cut more than a player performance cut IMO. I think for the long term cap health of the team they realize they can't keep everyone so it was Trotters time to go and Pierce stepped up bigtime so it didn't hurt them one bit.

absolutely right, pocono.

I agree that Pierce came in as the #3 option at MLB and that due to money and injury issues for Trotter and Barrow he got a rare opportunity to start at a new position.

But given his age, 26, and his football intelligence (Williams says he is one of the smartest players he has ever coached), why would the Redskins want someone else at MLB in 2005?

He and Marcus Washington gave the Redskins the best linebacking they have had in many years.

No reason to change a thing for 2005.

I agree they should re-sign him bulldog. He's only 2 years younger than Trotter but after being a starter only 1 year he doesn't have a lot of football miles on him and shouldn't be beat up. One big thing that Pierce had going for him last year that Trot didn't have the year before was the pleasure of playing behind a DT like Griffin who was an absolute monster in 04.

I think Snyder should learn a lesson from the play of guys like Pierce Marshall Warner and Salavea. If you have a great coaching staff like the Skins had on D you don't need to pay for a name at every position. Let your coaches coach the crap out of average players and save your cap space for when you have the chance to acquire special players.

If you followed Pierce's role in Williams defensive schemes... there's absolutely NO WAY Trotter would have fit in here.

Pierce was calling all the plays and adjustments. He had assignments in coverage and off the line of scrimmage. It was Washington who was asked to attack the gaps.

Trotter's game isn't meant for Williams. Plain and simple.

Trotter doesn't have the intelligence and discipline to play in Williams' defense. And he's horrible in coverage.

Trotter a good piece in Johnson's puzzle. But he doesn't fit here at all.

We never saw Trotter fully healthy and behind a D-line that actually prevented holes from opening up. Sometimes he just ran to one of the holes that opened up and the rb would just cut to another hole and everyone would blame Trotter for blowing the assignment.

With that being said, Pierce is playing well. I doubt it will cost too much to sign him to a multiyear deal. And since, "it ain't broke," it doesn't need to be fixed.

Originally posted by Die Hard

If you followed Pierce's role in Williams defensive schemes... there's absolutely NO WAY Trotter would have fit in here.

Pierce was calling all the plays and adjustments. He had assignments in coverage and off the line of scrimmage. It was Washington who was asked to attack the gaps.

Trotter's game isn't meant for Williams. Plain and simple.

Trotter doesn't have the intelligence and discipline to play in Williams' defense. And he's horrible in coverage.

Trotter a good piece in Johnson's puzzle. But he doesn't fit here at all.

Wow for 3 different DC's Trotter was a 3 down LB amassing 7 Int's and 37 PD's and 3 trips to the PB while the whole time being stupid and undisciplined and horrible in coverage. You'd think Johnson or Lewis would have noticed such a thing and routinely pulled him in passing situations or that JJ wouldn't have allowed him to call the Eagles D signals.

Pierce no question.

Trotter is a thief and has no pride.

He ****ed his way out of Philly when they wouldnt pay him.

He screwed Washington after getting the big contract he wanted.

Then he basically gave Washington no choice but to cut him.

Then he goes back to Philly with the money Philly never wouldve paid him.

Originally posted by Pocono

Wow for 3 different DC's Trotter was a 3 down LB amassing 7 Int's and 37 PD's and 3 trips to the PB while the whole time being stupid and undisciplined and horrible in coverage. You'd think Johnson or Lewis would have noticed such a thing and routinely pulled him in passing situations or that JJ wouldn't have allowed him to call the Eagles D signals.

In the last 3 seasons....

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/12774

2.5 sacks

2 INTs

273 tackles

His best season is 120 tackles.... do me a favor. Find me a middle linebacker in the NFL who hasn't recorded 100+ tackles. Please.

Further, i'm not going to count Pro Bowls as a measure of talent. That's for fools.

And actually, passes defensed would show 30.

What's up with you and you're messing with stats? This is at least twice now.

If you're going to continue down this road... I'm going to get rid of you because you don't have any value here as a liar with an

agenda.

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3339622

NFL on FOX analyst Daryl Johnston

I don't even think of Trotter as a middle linebacker. He plays more like a defensive lineman that lines up off the ball in the middle. That's why Trotter struggled in Washington, because he didn't fit well in Marvin Lewis' scheme. He is a downhill, disruptive force between the guard-center gaps on either side of the ball. That's all he's trying to do.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/Commentary/Spins/2003/spin060603.htm

Trotter struggled initially in Marvin Lewis’ system last season and was just hitting his stride when he was knocked out for the year with the ACL injury.

http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/10706896.htm?1c

Sam Donnellon

While Trotter's struggles playing for Washington seemed to give this credence - as well as his re-emergence as a Pro Bowl player this season with the Eagles - it also appears true that Trotter's abilities make Johnson's scheme more complete.

Originally posted by Die Hard

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3339622

I don't even think of Trotter as a middle linebacker. He plays more like a defensive lineman that lines up off the ball in the middle. That's why Trotter struggled in Washington, because he didn't fit well in Marvin Lewis' scheme. He is a downhill, disruptive force between the guard-center gaps on either side of the ball. That's all he's trying to do.

Exactly.....most of the time he's just run blitzing and plugging a hole.

Don't give me stats about interceptions or pass defensed....We all saw with our own eyes that he CANNOT cover anyone out of the backfield.

Originally posted by Beastof theEast

Here's another one for you guys:

McNabb or Ramsey?

You know what happens to trolls?

They get "read only" status.

You're a small little man. You're team is in the Super Bowl... and instead of enjoying it with your peers... you're trolling a Redskins message board.

Total loser. And I don't use that term lightly.

Archived