Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

99.1 whfs = 99.1 spanish?

Aikmans Killer No.56

Good god:

http://www.fmqb.com/Article.asp?id=61446

Legendary Modern Rocker WHFS Flips To Spanish

January 12, 2005

At noon today, Infinity flipped long-time modern rocker WHFS/Washington to "El Zol" 99.1. The new format will play "a mix of salsa, merengue and bachata" Caribbean and Central American dance music music. Spanish Broadcasting System consulted and advised Infinity on the new format. The two companies announced an alliance last October.

"We have made clear our desire to expand into this burgeoning market and believe this move marks an important step in our commitment to Spanish radio," said Infinity President/CEO Joel Hollander.  "There exists a tremendous opportunity for Infinity to launch a Spanish-language format in Washington, D.C. where almost 10% of the population is not being directly served.  El Zol will be the most powerful Spanish radio station in the area and will provide listeners with the music, entertainment and information relevant to the many segments of the Latino culture."

In the official statement, Infinity notes that the Hispanic population in the nation's capitol has grown more than 25% in the last four years to over 400,000.

Infinity is working to place as many WHFS employees at other positions within the company and will be seeking a new program director for the station.

More on this story as it develops...

It was the weirdest damn thing...i'm in line for the car wash and at noon they go to break...and all of a sudden there's dead air for like 5-10 mins...then all of a sudden this spanish music comes in...i freak the hell out, start pushing buttons on my radio...then finally call the station and the girl was like "yeah, programming change" and i asked "well, what untill 1 o clock, right?" and she was like "ummm...indefinite...sorry..."

so yeah...no one knows how long this is going to last...

Wow...that sucks on many different levels.

What are they going to do with the HFestival and Nutcracker Ball now? Those were always two shows that you could count on as having at least a few good bands there. :wtf:

I take it from the shock of the folks that live up there, (I live in SW VA now, but was raised on WHFS when I lived in NOVA), that this was not something that HFS gave any warning about?

:whoknows:

I'll sign it.

Havent listened to it in years (since the 80s actually).

But they were the reason I like music. Without Weasel, Damian et al, I'd probably still be playing Hall and Oates albums.

(I did get greatest hits for xmas, dont laugh).

Oh, and late night all request with Aquaman. sigh. so sad.

Here's the info from DCRTV.

HFS Goes Spanish - 1/12 - At noon Wednesday, Infinity killed off alternative rock WHFS (99.1 FM). It's now Spanish language El Zol, with a "current hit blend of Caribbean and Central American dance music." Check out whfs.com. "We have made clear our desire to expand into this burgeoning market and believe this move marks an important step in our commitment to Spanish radio," said Joel Hollander, president and chief operating officer of Infinity. "There exists a tremendous opportunity for Infinity to launch a Spanish-language format in Washington DC where almost 10 percent of the population is not being directly served. El Zol will be the most powerful Spanish radio station in the area and will provide listeners with the music, entertainment, and information relevant to the many segments of the Latino culture." Spanish Broadcasting System served as a consultant to and advised Infinity on the reformatting of the station. Infinity announced a strategic alliance with SBS in October 2004, which included an equity interest in the largest Hispanic-controlled radio broadcasting company in the USA. No word about what will happen to the old WHFS airstaff, although there are rumblings that the morning Junkies may move back to Infinity talker WJFK-FM. Stay tuned. WHFS was born in the late-1960s as a maverick free-form progressive rocker on 102.3 FM in Bethesda. It moved to Annapolis-based 99.1 FM in 1983. After a variety of owners, it evolved into a mainstream alternative rock outlet serving both DC and Baltimore, with studios in Lanham. During the past years, however, its ratings have slumped, particularly in the DC market.....

Archived