Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

99.1 whfs = 99.1 spanish?

Aikmans Killer No.56

Originally posted by Fatty P For The Pulitzer

More proof that we need to shut our borders!!

J/k!

This is a disgrace though, I like HFS. They play a lot of crap but some good stuff too, and I find it hard to believe that a spanish music station will do better than HFS.

With our area I don't. I think this new station will be very successful.

However to pull the plug on HFS is just wrong, wrong wrong wrong!

Originally posted by SkinsHokieFan

With our area I don't. I think this new station will be very successful.

However to pull the plug on HFS is just wrong, wrong wrong wrong!

Well, this area does have the worst radio in the country, at least of the major metropolitan areas. How many Spanish stations are there already? I know there's got to be 2 or 3. The corporate radio trend that is taking over, the Clear Channels and Infinities, just flat out sucks. I guess I'm going to have to move to XM sooner than I thought, I can't stand the crap that is out there anymore.

It will do well.... Radio and TV ads I think are effective with the latino population. I've been to many places where someone comes in because of the advertisement they saw or heard. I wonder if it's even more effective. Can't imagine them having more listeners then the other stations, but possibly very effective with advertising sales???

HFS probably couldn't produce adverstising sales. It's always about money. They've been sinking in ratings in the area, i don't understand why? I'm assuming they had a decent amount of listeners but could pay for operations cost vs money coming in???

Only thing is this new station sounds like the same format as La Mega, it's like comparing 93.9 and 95.5, same stuff. I was hoping for something a little better with some good DJs. Possibly still on the way.

The market is here, but even myself as a latino in this area get tired of listening to the radio play here. If you go to NY and Miami, you'll hear much better spanish music on their stations. The DJs and selection of music they play blows everything away here. Maybe because of the larger Puerto Rican and Cuban influence that has been there over the years.

I guess I'm the only one on this thread that has mixed feelings. Glad to have some compition in the Spanish radio market here, but sad to see HFS go. I'm sure there's going to be another Rock Station again, who knows if they'll do the stuff HFS did.

Originally posted by All In

It will do well.... Radio and TV ads I think are effective with the lation population. I've been to many places where someone comes in because of the advertisement they saw or heard.

HFS probably couldn't produce adverstising sales. It's always about money.

Only thing is this new station sounds like the same format as La Mega, it's like comparing 93.9 and 95.5, same stuff.

The market is here, but even myself as a latino in this area get tired of listening to the radio play here. If you go to NY and Miami, you'll hear much better spanish music on their stations. The DJs and selection of music they play blows everything away here. Maybe because of the larger Puerto Rican and Cuban influence that has been there over the years.

I guess I'm the only one on this thread that has mixed feelings. Glad to have some compition in the Spanish radio market here, but sad to see HFS go.

I don't care that there's gonna be another big Spanish station here. I understand there's a big Latino population here, and I have a lot of Latino friends. I think most people are mad because they are dumping HFS to put one in, not because there's gonna be a new Spanish station. HFS had a pretty loyal following and put together some really good shows. Hopefully someone will come up with a new modern rock station soon that does it right. Not looping 5 songs from '92 and 5 mediocre new songs endlessly would be a start.

Been just a couple years since I moved out to CA from the Southern Maryland area, I am pretty clueless what WHFS became. Back in 86 when I left, is was a progressive Radio station. Was it still that way?

Also curious if DC101 is still around?

I used to love the Greaseman back in the day.

This is so f'ing stupid. Really. I don't listen to the station much, but is there no reason whjy they can't make this Spanish mega-station on a different frequency?

I'm really, REALLY going to miss the concerts. I don't like all of the bands, but it's always a fun event and it's one of the few General Admission concerts. :( :( :(

XM or Sirius it's going to have to be.

Originally posted by ntotoro

I listened to HFS when I was in High School, then they stopped playing Alternative, or at least maybe Limp Bisquick is Alternative and I'm just too dumb to realize...

I follwed the Sports Junkies from JFK to HFS and heard the show decline in quality like a stone over the last two years or so. It's not funny, it just becomes mean-spirited and they never talk about sports any longer. They just became four DJ's (too many) working on the air in AM drive and two of them sound exactly alike. The show had nothing to set it apart from others. If they're not on any longer, I won't cry any tears about it.

Nick

These are basically my thoughts. HFS used to be very good, but has been unlistenable for years. I do hope the Junkies catch on somewhere and return to their old form.

But no HFStival? How am I going to see Good Charlotte? :laugh:

Man this sucks even though I stopped listening to that station a long time ago and stop going to the concerts awhile ago..what a bunch of BS...i'm guessing satellite is the way to go now...Yea I miss the greaseman too back in the day when he was on DC101 but i'd always get a good laugh from him at the fitness first in rockville where he always worked out...he hasn't changed

Originally posted by Posse81

But no HFStival? How am I going to see Good Charlotte? :laugh:

Now that was funny... :cheers:

I always wondered if the Junks swung from Good Charlotte's nuts so heavily because the group was local and had to or because their taste in music sucked and they actually thought the band was good.

Nick

Originally posted by Fatty P For The Pulitzer

I don't care that there's gonna be another big Spanish station here. I understand there's a big Latino population here, and I have a lot of Latino friends. I think most people are mad because they are dumping HFS to put one in, not because there's gonna be a new Spanish station. HFS had a pretty loyal following and put together some really good shows. Hopefully someone will come up with a new modern rock station soon that does it right. Not looping 5 songs from '92 and 5 mediocre new songs endlessly would be a start.

I hear ya. It's been in DC for a long time, and I wish it wasn't dumped either. I don't know who's to blame...

Do miss modern rock, hello MP3 player.

Don and Mike are having a good time with it... Pretty funny stuff.

Originally posted by ntotoro

Now that was funny... :cheers:

I always wondered if the Junks swung from Good Charlotte's nuts so heavily because the group was local and had to or because their taste in music sucked and they actually thought the band was good.

Nick

They have bad taste. During the "Hit or Hurting" segment, they usually liked all the crap songs.

Originally posted by Posse81

They have bad taste. During the "Hit or Hurting" segment, they usually liked all the crap songs.

I remember back in October of '03 they played "Hey Ya" by Outkast on "Hit or Hurting," ranked it "hurting" and said it wouldn't go anywhere... :laugh:

Nick

Originally posted by SkinsHokieFan

Could this possibly be a publicity stunt? Generate some buzz for a day for the station then go back?

I don't see it happening. How can it be a publicity stunt when you piss off all of your listeners?

Damn, I still stunned, I can't believe the station is gone.

Archived