Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

To try to change the subject, but does Betts seem like a better fit in our O

MeNoRevs

This IS the subject. I think Portis has run like Trung Canidate for half the year, except Trung had a higher average, I think.

Portis has zero power until he gets to the secondary. We don't run enough plays that cater to him or we can't execute them worth ___.

So, right now, betts is the better back for what we're doing on the rush plays.

Originally posted by spjunkies

You might think he runs harder but him and Portis had the same AVG today.

The problem is our line does NOT open up holes.

While Portis performance has left much to be desired, this is the real problem. Our offensive line gets absolutely NO push off the snap. We are constantly getting knocked back,etc. Until we have an OL who will dictate and impose their will at the LOS we will suck forever.

Originally posted by spjunkies

You might think he runs harder but him and Portis had the same AVG today.

The problem is our line does NOT open up holes.

Remember, at the end of the game, the last 3 runs, it was to run out the clock and the Cowboys stacked more then less the whole team to stop the run.

I think Betts did run better today.

From my perspective, the game turned when Betts came in.

He was running hard and making something out of nothing.

I was wishing Portis would come back in.

I know Portis is a hero around here, but honestly, I just havn't seen a whole lot that was impressive this year.

He showed some toughness by lugging the ball as much as he did, but that may have caught up with him today.

Betts certainly isn't a guy without talent, He was a second round pick wasn't he?

Portis and Julius Jones were both 2nd rounders.

If anything, I think Gibbs will do a better job rotating the two, kinda like Ahman Green and Davenport in Green Bay.

Originally posted by Ken

From my perspective, the game turned when Betts came in.

He was running hard and making something out of nothing.

I was wishing Portis would come back in.

I know Portis is a hero around here, but honestly, I just havn't seen a whole lot that was impressive this year.

He showed some toughness by lugging the ball as much as he did, but that may have caught up with him today.

Betts certainly isn't a guy without talent, He was a second round pick wasn't he?

Portis and Julius Jones were both 2nd rounders.

If anything, I think Gibbs will do a better job rotating the two, kinda like Ahman Green and Davenport in Green Bay.

In fact, we were seriously considering taking Portis in the second round the year we took betts but those damned broncos took him one pick ahead of us so we moved down and selected betts.

He definately fits the power running scheme that we are trying to use...Portis would be a better fit in the Air Coryell offense he ran in San Diego when he was the OC....I think this off-season Gibbs will see that you have to be able to pass to win in the NFL these days and that you cant max protect on every pass route sometimes you need to send out 4-5 receivers on a play....

Yeah, Betts certainly came through with the tough yards there at the end when we needed them most, didn't he?

Geez guys, get off it. Portis is special and after a year of working with him Gibbs will spend the offseason figuring out how to turn him into an unstopable monster. Hell, he has over 1300 yards now in a system not really suited for him.

Everyone loves Portis, but it looks like an example of another free agent we overpaid and we get... what?

I knew ever since his "all my boys called me telling Snyder to give them a call, they wanna get paid" comment.

I'm still not sold on Portis being a Redskin, but I hope he proves me wrong.

Do you think Gibbs even gave it a thought to let Betts start before the Portis trade? Or were there injury concerns?

You guys crack me up.

I pointed this out before we even got Portis. Then again around game 3 and everyone jumped down my throat. Now everyone wants to run Betts.

Yeah, Betts is a stronger more powerful runner.

I saw some good burst of speed also.

He is a more traditional back.

He has also been hurt most the time he has been here.

Portis is great. He needs the zone blocking to do his thing.

He needs space.

With Betts you can beat up on people which Gibbs likes.

With the right offensive sceme, Portis will run you tired.

Betts or someone like him should be your short yardage back.

He should get his touches, which he has the second half of the season. Give this another year. There are yard for both of them.

But, over the off season, when we were all designing this team, I didnt think Portis was what we really needed. I also didnt think we needed to bring in a QB like Brunell either. We could have used these picks and money elsewhere. I thought Betts, Cartwright and Mortan gave us enough at RB. I thought a top fight DE was our biggest need, then TE.

Ignoring the play of the offensive line, I think both backs do well for us. We do need to use Betts more on short yardage situations, but Portis should still be our #1 back. I think this is a good situation we have, but we can’t really compare very well when the play of the OL is so sporadic.

Betts seems more like the runner Bugel had, in the mold of Riggins. Traditional power back.

Portis seems more like the runner Hannifan had, in the mold of Byner / Marshall Faulk (since he also coached the Rams OL). Speed and shiftiness as opposed to just power.

Superficially, we would have a mismatch right now.

But that aside... Portis is not disciplined enough when the holes are there, and basically tells his blockers "F this" and doesn't follow through. Way too much dancing around behind the line of scrimmage, causing 1 yard and negative gains.

I like CP and what he can bring to the team,

BUT--- we need to run him in the ways Denver did (speed, Zone blocking, sweeps) and allow Betts and Rock to pound it out on the ground.

Portis should get 1/2-3/4 of the carries with Betts and Cartright getting the remaining 1/2-1/4 of the carries (this all depends on if we're playing a team that we can beat with speed or a team that you have to run straight ahead.

Both can be a great fit, but we have to develop a line that can block two different styles and schemes that fit their abilities.

I just think they need to take a look and learn how to use CP. I mean yeah he has a lower avg, but he does have 1300 yards that is really not that bad. I dont have a problem withb that, my big issue is when we need to punch it in or have a 3rd and short, we dont seem to have a back who can handle the load then, and if we do i havent seen it..not consistently

Please man, you all are sleeping on Clinton because he got hurt yesterday. Wasn't it Betts that gained 7 yards on 3 run plays at the end of the game yesterday?

Clinton Portis falls forward and gains an extra 2 yards by diving at the end of plays. He is simply amazing. The offensive line is our weakness, get over Clinton. He is a great running back.

The holes AREN'T there and when Clinton sees them, he freakin' EXPLODES through them. I hate how whoever has a bad game gets reamed out on here each week. None of this talk before yesterday. Only when he has a bad game or gets INJURED, thank you. It's like there's a Goat-of-the-week on this board every week. Goodness gracious.

He'll have 130 yards next week and there will be 35 "Clinton Appreciation" threads.

Archived