Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Play to win, or lose. It's that simple.

Destino

It's my belief that when you want to win at anything in life, you have to sell out. You have to go at it with all you have and force someone to stop you.

That doesn't describe Gibbs or the Redskins today or much of this season. Why are you running the ball when you see they are going to call a TO and will stop you from getting the first down. Because you are scared to go get the 'w' and hope your defense can hold on.

That folks is how you lose.

I don't like this kind of football, and for the first time in a long time I can honestly say I don't like watching this team. At least in years past we went down fighting. That's more then I can say for much of this season.

Please give me the paperbag avatar.

Des, in that situation I would have done the same thing.

Its not afraid to lose. Its "lets finish this game"

When we had those great o-lines, it would be one run, 2 run, first down. 2 plays another first down.

Thats how you finish games. This team can't do that with this o-line.

I see your point. I do wish we would have gone for the jugglar when we got the ball back up 10-6 with 3 minutes or so left. But in the last minute that was the smart thing to do

I don't agree here. I have a whole lot more confidence in my defense than I do in my quarterbacks arm in clutch situations. Make Dallas give up all thier time outs on defense so they can't use them on Offense. Put the ball in the defenses hands because they stopped them the last two series'.

If you pass the ball then they blitz the crap out of us because they know that we are not going to throw deep. At least with the blitz you can run the chance of intercepting the pass.

JMO.

I don't think Gibbs can be faulted for running the ball at the end of the game to make Dallas use their timeouts (contrast with Dick Vermeil's attempt to give the game away yesterday before Dante Hall bailed him out). However, it certainly is fair to criticize the playcalling for the balance of this game and for that matter the whole season. Gibbs has really coached scared and has impeded this team's progress.

Originally posted by SkinsHokieFan

When we had those great o-lines, it would be one run, 2 run, first down. 2 plays another first down.

I see your point. I do wish we would have gone for the jugglar when we got the ball back up 10-6 with 3 minutes or so left. But in the last minute that was the smart thing to do

You contradict yourself. On the one hand you agree with the back to back to back runs and then say they don't have the O-line to pull it off!

Look, I wouldn't have tried anything deep or even intermediate but a high percentage pass to the flat on first down against a defense obviously looking to stack the middle against the run would have been very effective but Gibbs refused to stick his neck out even a little bit and we payed for it.

Guys I think it is as simple as Gibbs not trusting our offense, namely the offensive line to block for Ramsey yet. Every time during the game that the Skins called for a deep pass pattern where Ramsey had to drop back 5-7 steps, there was at least one defender in his face every time within about 2 seconds of the ball being snapped. That is no kind of offensive line that will survive in a Gibbs offense. As far as the conservative playcalling, look, once we get our offensinve line woes together, that garbage time rushing attack is going to burn the clock right out on other teams. No one called it conservative play when the Emmit Smith led Dallas Cowboys were doing it, or how about the way the Chargers do it now, by using LT to burn time off the clock late in the game. It is a successful gameplan, but you need the pieces to make it happen.

Originally posted by NoCalMike

Guys I think it is as simple as Gibbs not trusting our offense, namely the offensive line to block for Ramsey yet. Every time during the game that the Skins called for a deep pass pattern where Ramsey had to drop back 5-7 steps, there was at least one defender in his face every time within about 2 seconds of the ball being snapped. That is no kind of offensive line that will survive in a Gibbs offense. As far as the conservative playcalling, look, once we get our offensinve line woes together, that garbage time rushing attack is going to burn the clock right out on other teams. No one called it conservative play when the Emmit Smith led Dallas Cowboys were doing it, or how about the way the Chargers do it now, by using LT to burn time off the clock late in the game. It is a successful gameplan, but you need the pieces to make it happen.

The o-line is a joke and has been all year. We need alot more than Jansen back.

What I also see is a QB who does not want to make mistakes and holds the ball way tooooo long. Its either that or he locks on his WR.

I dont see how any football team can win when they are too afraid to throw a 20+ yard pass. The o-Line and Ramsey lost this game

Originally posted by 5Arrington6

The o-line is a joke and has been all year. We need alot more than Jansen back.

What I also see is a QB who does not want to make mistakes and holds the ball way tooooo long. Its either that or he locks on his WR.

I dont see how any football team can win when they are too afraid to throw a 20+ yard pass. The o-Line and Ramsey lost this game

What about the last play for the Cowboys offense? Vinny held onto that ball a loooong time. It is called letting the play develop downfield, but you need help from the offensive line to block for you.

Originally posted by SkinsHokieFan

You're absolutely RIGHT. The main problem on offense is the o-line, particularly the interior line. Thomas has been a dissappointment, Raymer is overmatched and Dockery just isn't consistent enough. With a mediocre o-line, you cannot ram the ball down the defenses throat (ala Pittsburgh) and you cannot run the deep routes. Fix the o-line and I believe a large number of the problems on the offensive side of the ball will disappear.

Originally posted by Destino

It's my belief that when you want to win at anything in life, you have to sell out. You have to go at it with all you have and force someone to stop you.

That doesn't describe Gibbs or the Redskins today or much of this season. Why are you running the ball when you see they are going to call a TO and will stop you from getting the first down. Because you are scared to go get the 'w' and hope your defense can hold on.

That folks is how you lose.

I don't like this kind of football, and for the first time in a long time I can honestly say I don't like watching this team. At least in years past we went down fighting. That's more then I can say for much of this season.

Please give me the paperbag avatar.

I don't agree at all....the Cowboys did not get a touchdown all day and you give them the ball back with 1:30 left on their own 23 needing a touchdown....I thought it was the right way to handle it...we don't won't Patrick throwing an interception or giving them the ball back with 1:30 and a time out....It's very eas to second-guess after a loss like this....but why bother?:rolleyes:

The folks saying they disagree because they "trust the defense" or something along those lines, fail to understand. It's not about who you trust, it's about who you don't and what message that sends your team.

Today Gibbs may as well have put up a big flag saying "I don't trust my offense"

You don't win that way. Even the Ravens when they were all about defense went after opponents with their offense. They trusted both units to help eachother. Not one unit to do everything while the other tried to not mess up.

I agree with Destino, I don't like watching this type of football. It's overly conservative play calling to attempt to not lose instead of win the game. There are reasons Gibbs plays this way currently, a good defense and a bad o-line. But you can't hang with the talent of the league playing this type of football. Hell, Dallas is extremely mediocre and apparently we can't hang with them. Very disappointing.

Archived