Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fear isnt a strong enough word

manichispanic

Candace's tonsil thread has led me to begin this thread.

I went to the dentists a couple days a ago, and after a routine cleaning, i was informed that no new cavities :whew: but, that my wisdom teeth have to be pulled cause theres not enough room. I asked how many, and she replies, all of them. :doh: :doh: :doh:

Now, if this was a traditional routine surgery or something like that, id be concerned, but not as scared as i am right now. I hate tooth pain, worst pain in the world. It doesnt help that my dad also hates tooth pain, and has told me horror stories of his dentist visits in his homeland El Salvador.

Naturally, i'm going to ask them to knock me the %$*@ out with as much gas as my lungs will hold and then some. I don't want to feel anything. My question to you guys is, what can I expect after the procedure?

Hang in there dude

I had three of them pulled about 7 years ago. It's bad, but not that bad, and remember too that the mouth is the fastest healing part of the body.

They will give you stuff for the pain, and if you are lucky, they will hook you up with the laughing gass too :D

I didn't laugh, but man, I could have been shot by a machine gun at point blank range, and wouldn't have felt it, nor would have cared

It's not that big of a deal....

I had it done when I was in high school. Some moderate pain for a couple of days. Pain goes away after about a week. Takes about two week for the tooth sockets to fully heal. No where hear the pain level of a tonsillectomy. I'm guessing though since I never had that done.

don't be such a wuss man....

i only had 3 wisdom teeth to have pulled, but they put a couple small needles in to numb the pain, and got the pliers out.....you feel some pressure, but it's over pretty quick...wash out your mouth a few times with salt water....keep guaze and pressure on it for a day or so, and it's all good......the same day, I went back to work, and even had mexican food for lunch....chips too.

HOWEVER, if your wisdom teeth are not yet exposed....then yes, you will have to be knocked out, and it's basically a minor surgery. Someone will have to go with you, and you'll have a sore jaw for a couple days.....you ususally get pain medicine, anti infection medicine and sometimes steroids.....lotsa pudding for you here pal.

Good luck. :cheers:

Originally posted by manichispanic

Candace's tonsil thread has led me to begin this thread.

I went to the dentists a couple days a ago, and after a routine cleaning, i was informed that no new cavities :whew: but, that my wisdom teeth have to be pulled cause theres not enough room. I asked how many, and she replies, all of them. :doh: :doh: :doh:

Now, if this was a traditional routine surgery or something like that, id be concerned, but not as scared as i am right now. I hate tooth pain, worst pain in the world. It doesnt help that my dad also hates tooth pain, and has told me horror stories of his dentist visits in his homeland El Salvador.

Naturally, i'm going to ask them to knock me the %$*@ out with as much gas as my lungs will hold and then some. I don't want to feel anything. My question to you guys is, what can I expect after the procedure?

You should hear the horror stories from my brother about the dentists in the Army. :puke:

You should definitely get knocked out if you have to have surgery. I had to have surgery done on one of my wisdom teeth, and they only gave me local anesthesia, and it was awful. They had to saw off part of my jawbone with this little power grinder thing. I'm just not good with stuff like that. I could barely open my jaw for a week. Definitely get put under if surgery! Pulling isn't that bad at all though, he/she will just yank them out, feels weird, but no pain.

I ahd mine removed last year. At first I was going to have them knock me out because I HATE going to the dentist, have a bad gag reflex, ect. Once I saw what the bill for that would be rather than the drugs and laughing gas...I decided I could tough it out.

The laughing gas was great. I spent pretty much the entire time thinking about my cat prrring. why? who knows, but it certainly wasn't unpleasent. It was like valium times ten.

I did hate the changing of the gause when I got home. That was kind of gross. By the second day, I ditched pain medicine outside of advil (I don't particularly like the way strong pain meds make me feel).

Make sure you start taking hte antibiotics a few days before the removal...and keep taking them after until they are done. Getting feverish when you can't eat much food to make you stronger sucks!

Good luck. It's not too bad, just a little gross. Definitely ask for the laughing gas.

I had all four pulled one afternoon. No pain at all. I made sure to take a demoral before I went in there... and the dentist and his assistant commented on how calm I was. :D

Plus... at the time I was working nights... and I went to work that night. Gotta a little tired of drinking blood all night... but made it through just fine.

Two days later... it was as if I hadn't had them pulled.

Suck it up... get your balls out of your purse.... be a man.

Man, I had all four of my taken out and I would do it again. The hardes part was when they put novacain in the roof of my mouth. After that i didn't feel a thing. I heard some crackling noise and that was it. They took me down to the pharmacy and gave me some percocet and I was high for a week. No problem whatsover....no bleeding on the pillow. I actually played softball the next day. Would do it again in a heartbeat!

I had all four taken out 12 years ago - they were all impacted, and the pain in my jaw and my constant headaches were unbelievable.

They knocked me out, so I have no idea what the heck they did. They told me it was routine (thank god) and that it should heal up within two weeks.

They were right.

Ice up to reduce swelling, take pain meds as appropriate, make sure you change the gauze and do what they tell you to do with respect to cleaning your mouth, etc. Eat soft, easy-to-chew, not-very-hot-or-cold-or-spicy food for a few days so your mouth can heal without stress.

After those two weeks of healing, I felt like a new person. Jaw pain gone, orthodontured teeth stopped crowding on themselves and headaches vanished. Life was beautiful :)

as a patient, it isn't that big of a deal. my mom told me that after the surgery i kept saying how they should market whatever they gave me. i was high as a effin kite. i had all four taken out, and all were impacted. i actually got 2 dry sockets despite doing what they told me to do, but even those were not that bad. didn't miss any work, and never had to take any drugs other than advil. piece of cake.

i've also had the pleasure of watching a bunch of these done, and g'damn is it a brutal procedure. it is no wonder why patients are sore for a couple of days. lots of people "waking up" in the middle, but they go right back to sleep with a simple suggestion from the doc. the best part of the week i spent with the oral surgeon was listening to what patients would ramble about as they started to go under. some seriously funny sh!t. there was this one dude who starting talking about his cat purring...

Originally posted by dchogs

the best part of the week i spend with the oral surgeon was listening to what patients would ramble about as they started to go under. some seriously funny sh!t. there was this one dude who starting talking about his cat purring...

gbear, you're busted! :rotflmao:

I got all my token out two years ago, First they put laughing gas to put me to sleep. It didn't hurt that much, I remeber them taking one of my teet out, and it hurted. Didn't even feel the other three. The bad part about it, when it is finish. Yor cheecks is going to be swollen. Basically looking like a Hippo. Thats is what I looked like. But hang in there.

Like Jen, I had 4 impacted wisdom teeth taken out at the same time.

Unlike Jen, they didn't put me under.

Mind you, this took place in St. Thomas in 1979. I don't think the dentists on island had heard of anesthesia yet. Or maybe it had something to do with the fact that I had played volleyball against the oral surgeon a few weeks earlier and had pretty much schooled him, and let him know about it in a voice just shy of hollering. Why would I go to such a dentist? To tell you the truth I was referred to him by my regular dentist. I didn't know he was going to be performing the procedure until after I was strapped in the chair and had already been given some gas. The first words out of his mouth were, "Oh, it's YOU!". I should have high-tailed it out of there that moment.

This guy just kept shooting me up with novacaine. At one point he had a chisel in one hand, a rubber mallet in the other, and was pounding away. I kid you not. I could hear the teeth splitting into pieces with each swing of that mallet and I swear he unhinged my jaw a couple of times.

After all was said and done, and despite a sore jaw, I didn't feel too bad leaving his office. In fact I felt hungry. So the first thing I did when I got home was to make a peanut butter sandwich. Now here's a lesson you should heed. NEVER eat until AFTER the novacaine wears off. I couldn't figure out why my sandwich was so chewy until I realized I was chewing my tongue. Anyways, a few hours later my head looked like a Spalding basketball. Every millimeter of my anatomy from my neck up felt like a raging fire. Good thing I had some percodan to take care of that. The next morning I woke up to a blood-soaked pillow. The swelling was so pronounced that it popped the stitches in 3 of the 4 teeth cavities. However if I was ever sure of anything in my life, it was that I was NEVER going back to that dentist. My girlfriend at the time pleaded with me to go back. Nope, not gonna do it. Percodan, plus a few refills, makes brave men out of us all. It was three days before I woke up with no blood on my pillow. It was almost a year before the cavities closed on their own.

But hey, you can be rest assured that your experience won't be anything like mine.

Good luck!

Archived