Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rapper: People 'cheered when 9-11 happened'

afparent

I have 2 comments to add to this discussion:

1. I have a real hard time believing that KRS1 made those comments. If they were quoted in a different, more credible source I would have to think about it, but it doesn't sound like him to me.

2. Brooklynskinsfan, you are making a race issue where there isn't one. I can understand you wanting to defend someone you respect, but when you attack people for being racist when they are not, you only add to racial tension. Noone on here made any racist comments. An article was posted. You would have done better to discredit the article instead of the poster. Just my opinions...

Originally posted by GSF

You would have done better to discredit the article instead of the poster. Just my opinions...

Exactly!

I have no idea whether those quotes were actually said or not. I don't know enough about KRS-One to have an opinion. But, man, the response from that kid was really disturbing!

What would prompt the New York Daily News to virtually make such a slanderous quote up out of nothing? How in the hell would an obscure rapper like KRS-One piss a publication off so much that they would essentially get him blacklisted for life?

I think it's pretty obvious that he made those comments, and whatever context they were in, they're still inexcusable.

KRS-1 has a history of attempting to be just radical enough to appeal to the younger set but not so radical that he gets his arse thrown in jail.

With that said, he was/is one of my favorite rappers of all time. I really loved a lot of his music and still listen to it today. However comments like this (assuming he really did make them) are a stain on an otherwise stellar career.

I'd like to believe he was misquoted but it just sounds like dude said some things he regretted and didn't have the stones to then stand behind his comments or recant and apologize.

Originally posted by Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin

ATlhawksfan

Just as with Jadakiss obvious political commentary, you seem obsessed with being hip hop's apologist.

See, Wu Tang had a song(can't remember the name, but I do remember how it goes) that actually mentioned 9/11 but displayed anger and a desire for vengeance and justice(and war.) So I don't need to explain them, though I'm certain now some of them feel differently because hip hop is filled with racist conspiracy theorists.

Even intelligent rappers like Talib Kweli and Mos Def basically fall in line with the rest of the political black community---FAR LEFT. Whether it be Mumia "GD I'm guilty" Abu Jamal or some other cause.

Ever watch Def Poetry Jam? They have some Arab-American B___ on there that said after 9/11 that now we know how people in Gaza and the West Bank feel?! UH...the same people that support terrorism by a vast majority and are responsible for the DELIBERATE murder of civilians. The same people that had a walk-in display at their university that had human body parts and blood that was supposed to represent the Jews killed in a Sbarro pizza place??

Look, the fact is, KRS One is a GD moron at whose death I would laugh. Problem is, he isn't THAT far from what I read from certain quarters after 9/11. It's not that blacks cheered at all. But afte the fact, I read more than one article that talked about how it's something that affected whites or "them" not "us." That's a far cry from cheering and it's probably a tiny minority but KRS ONe reminds me that the black community suffers from a greater PERCENTAGE of just hateful virulent racists than any other group.

KRS One's backpedal doesn't actually say that he was truly misquoted. What the hell is the 'context' of those remarks other than some type of half-joke that he cancelled out by being serious in the next moment.

HIs backpedal seems to be about the same quality(meaning poor) as Jadakiss' explanation of his song mentioning Bush knocking down the towers. A song filled with direct imagery and literal meaning, but that ONE line, yeah, we're supposed to be metaphorical about. RIiiiiiiight LOL

Hush

All I did was post his statement regarding the article.

And Jadakiss's line was clearly metaphorical. No one interprets that line literally except people looking to blame rap music for something.

Is there something wrong with being Liberal now, why is that a reason to bash someone?

It's bad enough we have a two party system, and now it appears people are arguing for a one party system or something. Come on man.

You're not going to be able to restrict people's freedom or speech no matter how much attention you try to bring to what they say.

I am not defending what KRS-One said, if he did in fact say it. Certainly the NY Daily News isn't a very credible source, but I don't see their motive to make something up in this instance either.

This whole assume guilt mentality that many on this board seem to have only takes away from the points you are making.

Originally posted by OrangeSkin

What would prompt the New York Daily News to virtually make such a slanderous quote up out of nothing? How in the hell would an obscure rapper like KRS-One piss a publication off so much that they would essentially get him blacklisted for life?

I think it's pretty obvious that he made those comments, and whatever context they were in, they're still inexcusable.

I'm not defending KRSOne. I have no idea what he said or didn't say. I do know though that the NY Daily news has a history of taking things way out of context to sell papers. If they are the only source listing these quotes, it has to be taken with a grain of salt.

Originally posted by afparent

Rapper: Blacks 'cheered when 9-11 happened'

Knight Ridder Newspapers

Oct. 14, 2004 03:08 PM

The hip-hop anarchist has declared his solidarity with al-Qaida by asserting that he and other African-Americans "cheered when 9-11 happened,"

"I say that proudly," the Boogie Down Productions founder went on, insisting that, before the attack, security guards kept Blacks out of the World Trade Center "because of the way we talk and dress.

"So when the planes hit the building, we were like, 'Mmmm - justice.' "

The atrocity of 9-11 "doesn't affect us the hip-hop community," he said. "9-11 happened to them, not us," he added, explaining that by "them" he meant "the rich ... those who are oppressing us. RCA or BMG, Universal, the radio stations."

"Voting in a corrupt society adds more corruption," he added. "America has to commit suicide if the world is to be a better place."

http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/1014krs14-ON.html

WTF is wrong with this guy. Other than the fact that it shows a complete lack of tact, decorum, respect, and loyalty. It doesn't make any damn sense.

From time to time, when people are critical of our government, I find others saying that if they have a problem with the USA, they should just leave. I've always felt that was a pathetic response to make. Until this. I mean, does KRS-One really think: America has to commit suicide if the world is to be a better place." If so, he should definately find this "hip hop" mecca, far away from the USA, since he has been disenfranchised so.

What a loser. And a poser.

New KRS-One song,

From dubcnn.com

New S.T.O.P. Movement Song! [Audio] - October 15, 2004 By : Nima

Fredwreck's "S.T.O.P. Movement" has gained another song. After they premiered the song "Down With U.S." earlier this year, veterans such as KRS-One, Mobb Deep, WC, Mack 10, Everlast, Alchemist, Defari, Evidence and B-Real have gotten together for "Dear Mr. President".

You can check out the song now at Fredwreck's official site or click below to download it directly:

S.T.O.P. Movement - Dear Mr. President

http://www.fredwreck.com/frikin/mr_pres.mp3

Enjoy!

Originally posted by atlhawksfan

New KRS-One song,

From dubcnn.com

New S.T.O.P. Movement Song! [Audio] - October 15, 2004 By : Nima

Fredwreck's "S.T.O.P. Movement" has gained another song. After they premiered the song "Down With U.S." earlier this year, veterans such as KRS-One, Mobb Deep, WC, Mack 10, Everlast, Alchemist, Defari, Evidence and B-Real have gotten together for "Dear Mr. President".

You can check out the song now at Fredwreck's official site or click below to download it directly:

S.T.O.P. Movement - Dear Mr. President

http://www.fredwreck.com/frikin/mr_pres.mp3

Enjoy!

Yo, K to the R to the S to the One!!

Why don't you Shut the F to the U to the "see" to the K up clown.

Originally posted by Brooklynskinsfan

it was a stupid coment it would be different if nobody was in the building when it blew up then i would agree but the fact that people were killed makes it a tragedy everyone in their was not rich their were also a lot of everyday people who died and a lot of them were working class black people, i never liked what that building stood for and its true the security guards were racist but this coment is totaly unexceptable people lost their lives. I asked why did u post this because i saw this as a way to atack the rap comunity and the black community trash like this should be ignored because it was an ignorant statement

"I have a dream . . ." :rolleyes:

BTW, punctuation is our friend.

• 1 year later...

I've heard the stuff about 9-11 before and am a bit sceptical of it all. Obviously, there was a lot of reactionary press in the wake of such incomprehensible violence. People were trying to make sense of their shattered worldview. What I'm saying is, don't believe everything you hear.

The statements attributed to him are inconsitent with much of what he has said in interviews and on his albums since the tragedy. I've followed his career closely and don't think the accusations fit his character.

As does any member of an oppressed minority, he holds minority political sentiments. It is probable that he believes our government is bad. I believe these reports are either completely fabricated or somehow misrepresent him.

On "Spiritual Minded" the first album he released post 9-11 he quoted Matthew 5:44, the sermon on the mount. If you look this passage up you'll see what I mean about views. Such sentiments are admittedly held by a minority, but they are not of the nature of these alleged comments.

I've heard the stuff about 9-11 before and am a bit sceptical of it all. Obviously, there was a lot of reactionary press in the wake of such incomprehensible violence. People were trying to make sense of their shattered worldview. What I'm saying is, don't believe everything you hear.

The statements attributed to him are inconsitent with much of what he has said in interviews and on his albums since the tragedy. I've followed his career closely and don't think the accusations fit his character.

As does any member of an oppressed minority, he holds minority political sentiments. It is probable that he believes our government is bad. I believe these reports are either completely fabricated or somehow misrepresent him.

On "Spiritual Minded" the first album he released post 9-11 he quoted Matthew 5:44, the sermon on the mount. If you look this passage up you'll see what I mean about views. Such sentiments are admittedly held by a minority, but they are not of the nature of these alleged comments.

Been thinking on this awhile now, eh?

WOW, KRS-ONE turned into a giant a$$hole....Sad...

Turned into one?? KRS has always been a racist punk. Every song he's ever written has been about how white people are the devil.

Of course that never stopped me from blasting 'Black Cop' back in the day!! KRS was the jam back then!!

He did, it's just not as publicized.

Like everyone I was shocked to read that I and other African-Americans actually “cheered when 911 happened” and that I have “declared my solidarity with Al Qaeda”. When I read this I was shocked and disappointed that the Daily News would go this far to assassinate my character and distort my views. Such statements with no follow up explanation or interview from KRS-ONE as to what he may have meant is simply irresponsible journalism on the Daily News’ part. I would never just say something as crazy as that! I am a philosopher and a critical thinker, I urge people to think critically about themselves and their environment. I was asked by the New Yorker magazine to discuss “different and personal beliefs musicians hold and the contribution artists like myself can make to the nation’s political dialog”. However, now that the Daily News has attempted to slander my name and message, it is imperative that we clear some things up.

First of all, my intent is never to demean or disrespect anyone’s loss or gain; and of course I did not “cheer when 911 happened”. I was just as saddened as everyone else. For years my career has been one of promoting peace, love, unity and having fun; such has always been Hiphop’s cultural principles. Secondly, I don’t speak for the African American community exclusively, I speak for HIPHOP! And let me be clear here; most of the Hiphop community is against the war in Iraq! But to insinuate that we (the Hiphop community) actually cheered as the twin towers fell is clearly an attempt by the Daily News to interrupt the positive efforts of our Hiphop community, KRS-ONE’s leadership and the increased momentum of our Hiphop political movement. Thirdly, I don’t think Al Qaeda needs my solidarity nor did I ever offer it. For a major news organization to now align KRS-ONE with Al Qaeda shows the unwarranted contempt that such an organization has for me. Such is grounds for a law suit!

Finally, no one should ever believe anything that the Daily News has to say about the same Hiphop community that they (the Daily News) have tried so desperately to undermine for years. The only thing the Daily News seems to be interested in is scandal and controversy and for years I have challenged the Daily News on its depictions of Rap artists and Hiphop as a whole. I know they don’t like me. However, I don’t give a ---- either! They never cover our efforts toward peace and all the charitable work we do within the Hiphop community. They never air our grievances or how we feel about the state of the world, nor have they ever aired our views on America’s invasion of Iraq simply because they just don’t want to hear them. The Hiphop community forces America to look at itself; and no one likes to take b.l.a.m.e. for their own for immaturity Because Looking At Me ain’t Easy!

For the record, I am an American philosopher. I speak and seek truth. If the slander that the Daily News has printed regarding my political views has disrespectfully offended anyone in any way I truly apologize. Again, it was never my or Hiphop’s intent to disregard, disrespect or demean the tragedy of September 11th 2002 and those that died that day. However, we do have a voice and a point of view and if you are not prepared to hear what Hiphop has to say then don’t ask!

Ah, so what exactly did he say then, or did he conveniently forget that part?

;)

• 1 month later...

Message to KRS One's publicist...9/11 happened in 2001

Like everyone I was shocked to read that I and other African-Americans actually “cheered when 911 happened” and that I have “declared my solidarity with Al Qaeda”. When I read this I was shocked and disappointed that the Daily News would go this far to assassinate my character and distort my views. Such statements with no follow up explanation or interview from KRS-ONE as to what he may have meant is simply irresponsible journalism on the Daily News’ part. I would never just say something as crazy as that! I am a philosopher and a critical thinker, I urge people to think critically about themselves and their environment. I was asked by the New Yorker magazine to discuss “different and personal beliefs musicians hold and the contribution artists like myself can make to the nation’s political dialog”. However, now that the Daily News has attempted to slander my name and message, it is imperative that we clear some things up.

First of all, my intent is never to demean or disrespect anyone’s loss or gain; and of course I did not “cheer when 911 happened”. I was just as saddened as everyone else. For years my career has been one of promoting peace, love, unity and having fun; such has always been Hiphop’s cultural principles. Secondly, I don’t speak for the African American community exclusively, I speak for HIPHOP! And let me be clear here; most of the Hiphop community is against the war in Iraq! But to insinuate that we (the Hiphop community) actually cheered as the twin towers fell is clearly an attempt by the Daily News to interrupt the positive efforts of our Hiphop community, KRS-ONE’s leadership and the increased momentum of our Hiphop political movement. Thirdly, I don’t think Al Qaeda needs my solidarity nor did I ever offer it. For a major news organization to now align KRS-ONE with Al Qaeda shows the unwarranted contempt that such an organization has for me. Such is grounds for a law suit!

Finally, no one should ever believe anything that the Daily News has to say about the same Hiphop community that they (the Daily News) have tried so desperately to undermine for years. The only thing the Daily News seems to be interested in is scandal and controversy and for years I have challenged the Daily News on its depictions of Rap artists and Hiphop as a whole. I know they don’t like me. However, I don’t give a ---- either! They never cover our efforts toward peace and all the charitable work we do within the Hiphop community. They never air our grievances or how we feel about the state of the world, nor have they ever aired our views on America’s invasion of Iraq simply because they just don’t want to hear them. The Hiphop community forces America to look at itself; and no one likes to take b.l.a.m.e. for their own for immaturity Because Looking At Me ain’t Easy!

For the record, I am an American philosopher. I speak and seek truth. If the slander that the Daily News has printed regarding my political views has disrespectfully offended anyone in any way I truly apologize. Again, it was never my or Hiphop’s intent to disregard, disrespect or demean the tragedy of September 11th 2002 and those that died that day. However, we do have a voice and a point of view and if you are not prepared to hear what Hiphop has to say then don’t ask!

Archived