Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rapper: People 'cheered when 9-11 happened'

afparent

Originally posted by BIGGS_DADDY

Not necessary and dont get me wrong I'm not even against the title but understand when you do put a title such as that one up there expect a spirited conversation.

If you're upset about the title, read the first post where it mentions that it is a quote from an African-American rapper. How can you play the race card when all he is doing is posting a story and naming the thread by the title of the article? There's no racist intentions with posting this article, unless it is accompanied by a racist statement from the thread starter, which it was not. The guy who made the comment just happened to be an African-American rapper. If Alan Jackson or Tim McGraw said that whites cheered when 9-11 happened, is there anyone here who would've taken it as racist towards whites for posting that story?

Lets be honest when you read the title was it not the first thing that popped into your head. I'm not saying it's right but at this point in our society we have a long way to go to erase the color barrier. Is the situation better than it was in my parents day? Yes but the fact still remains there is still tension there and the only way it's going to go away is for us to have open discussions and face our own demons.

I will be honest and the answer is no (when I read the article). That was the last thing on my mind. The first thing I though was wow, this will be controversial (not because he is black) because a celebrity said it. That is the honest to god truth. If you knew me you would know that. Now, should I have been more sensitive, maybe, but if you knew my background, I could have this discussion with a lot of my friends, some who are black. And maybe I made the mistake that some of the extremeskins members are friends because of the dialogue we have had in the past.

Originally posted by Fatty P For The Pulitzer

If you're upset about the title, read the first post where it mentions that it is a quote from an African-American rapper. How can you play the race card when all he is doing is posting a story and naming the thread by the title of the article? There's no racist intentions with posting this article, unless it is accompanied by a racist statement from the thread starter, which it was not. The guy who made the comment just happened to be an African-American rapper. If Alan Jackson or Tim McGraw said that whites cheered when 9-11 happened, is there anyone here who would've taken it as racist towards whites for posting that story?

I find your post interesting beacause I never mentioned nor did I ever think that afparent was racist. What did I say that would make you believe that was the case?

Originally posted by afparent

I will be honest and the answer is no (when I read the article). That was the last thing on my mind. The first thing I though was wow, this will be controversial (not because he is black) because a celebrity said it. That is the honest to god truth.

That's exactly what I thought. The guy is a public figure, and whether he is white, black, asian, hispanic, native american, arab american, or whatever, he must be called out for making a bold and insensitive statement like that. Anyone on here that has kids who listen to rap might want to see this story.

Originally posted by Johnny 'Luscious' Punani

Breakdown time...

Did KRS-ONE say African-Americans cheered when 9/11 happened? Yes...

Is that the Truth? No...

Will some African Americans think that White Americans will believe that now? Yes...

Do White Americans think African Americans cheered when 9/11 happened? No...

exactly. thats why i asked him why he posted it i wanted to know if he just thought krs 1 was an idiot or if he was going to use this to say black people cheared or just something negative about rap music

I find your post interesting beacause I never mentioned nor did I ever think that afparent was racist. What did I say that would make you believe that was the case?

My bad, I wasn't directing that at you, I was just using your quote. I meant that for someone who saw the original title and thought that it might have been a racist statement.

Rap ha how about anyone that has kid's that listen to KRS-One.

Instead you chose to make a blanket indictment against a musical genre as a whole.

exactly why i questioned this topic to begin with someone was going to turn it into anti rap because one idiot that happens to be an old retired rapper makes a stupid statment

Instead you chose to make a blanket indictment against a musical genre as a whole.

Yeah Fatty, that is a blanket statement against Hip-Hop itself. I use to listen to KRS-ONE alot when I was younger and he never said anything like this.

Wow, here we go... Relax man, don't be so oversensitive. The title of the thread, is it not "Rapper: Blacks[People] 'Cheered When 9-11 Happened'"???? I was saying parents whose kids listen to rap might want to click on this thread, not knowing who the rapper is. Did you know it was KRS-One before you clicked on it? It could've been Jay-Z or Ludacris or Nelly. They're rappers. I did not say that this guy speaks for all rappers, or anything like that. But you chose to take that out of what I said. If the title had been 'KRS-One: Blacks Cheered When 9-11 Happened', I would've said parents whose kids listen to KRS-One might want to read this thread. Sometimes, despite what you think, there isn't more to what someone says.

you took the words out of my mouth (KevinthePRF)

For those who don't know KRS-One is a one of the fathers of hip hop ( not just some rapper) so the hip hop community looks up to him, BUT

He was dead wrong for making that statement and he does sound like an idiot.

Originally posted by afparent

Obviously it is news. Are you saying we cannot post articles like this?...wait, I am not going to have a 19 year old kid tell me what I can and can not post. If the monitors don't want it on here they will take it off. If you are trying to say I am starting something, first off, you don't know me. If you are implying I am starting something racists, again you don't know me. And if Eminem said this I would post it too.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

KRS-One really should speak for himself...

He did, it's just not as publicized.

Like everyone I was shocked to read that I and other African-Americans actually “cheered when 911 happened” and that I have “declared my solidarity with Al Qaeda”. When I read this I was shocked and disappointed that the Daily News would go this far to assassinate my character and distort my views. Such statements with no follow up explanation or interview from KRS-ONE as to what he may have meant is simply irresponsible journalism on the Daily News’ part. I would never just say something as crazy as that! I am a philosopher and a critical thinker, I urge people to think critically about themselves and their environment. I was asked by the New Yorker magazine to discuss “different and personal beliefs musicians hold and the contribution artists like myself can make to the nation’s political dialog”. However, now that the Daily News has attempted to slander my name and message, it is imperative that we clear some things up.

First of all, my intent is never to demean or disrespect anyone’s loss or gain; and of course I did not “cheer when 911 happened”. I was just as saddened as everyone else. For years my career has been one of promoting peace, love, unity and having fun; such has always been Hiphop’s cultural principles. Secondly, I don’t speak for the African American community exclusively, I speak for HIPHOP! And let me be clear here; most of the Hiphop community is against the war in Iraq! But to insinuate that we (the Hiphop community) actually cheered as the twin towers fell is clearly an attempt by the Daily News to interrupt the positive efforts of our Hiphop community, KRS-ONE’s leadership and the increased momentum of our Hiphop political movement. Thirdly, I don’t think Al Qaeda needs my solidarity nor did I ever offer it. For a major news organization to now align KRS-ONE with Al Qaeda shows the unwarranted contempt that such an organization has for me. Such is grounds for a law suit!

Finally, no one should ever believe anything that the Daily News has to say about the same Hiphop community that they (the Daily News) have tried so desperately to undermine for years. The only thing the Daily News seems to be interested in is scandal and controversy and for years I have challenged the Daily News on its depictions of Rap artists and Hiphop as a whole. I know they don’t like me. However, I don’t give a ---- either! They never cover our efforts toward peace and all the charitable work we do within the Hiphop community. They never air our grievances or how we feel about the state of the world, nor have they ever aired our views on America’s invasion of Iraq simply because they just don’t want to hear them. The Hiphop community forces America to look at itself; and no one likes to take b.l.a.m.e. for their own for immaturity Because Looking At Me ain’t Easy!

For the record, I am an American philosopher. I speak and seek truth. If the slander that the Daily News has printed regarding my political views has disrespectfully offended anyone in any way I truly apologize. Again, it was never my or Hiphop’s intent to disregard, disrespect or demean the tragedy of September 11th 2002 and those that died that day. However, we do have a voice and a point of view and if you are not prepared to hear what Hiphop has to say then don’t ask!

Yeah Fatty, that is a blanket statement against Hip-Hop itself. I use to listen to KRS-ONE alot when I was younger and he never said anything like this.

In no way is it a statement against Hip Hop. I love Hip Hop, and I know that this guy speaks for no one but himself. I just meant that the title says 'Rapper', not 'KRS-One'. So someone flipping through The Tailgate and sees that and has a child who listens to rap may want to check this thread out to see who the rapper is, because they may not want their child listening to that artist. That's all I meant.

Originally posted by atlhawksfan

He did, it's just not as publicized.

Like everyone I was shocked to read that I and other African-Americans actually “cheered when 911 happened” and that I have “declared my solidarity with Al Qaeda”. When I read this I was shocked and disappointed that the Daily News would go this far to assassinate my character and distort my views. Such statements with no follow up explanation or interview from KRS-ONE as to what he may have meant is simply irresponsible journalism on the Daily News’ part. I would never just say something as crazy as that! I am a philosopher and a critical thinker, I urge people to think critically about themselves and their environment. I was asked by the New Yorker magazine to discuss “different and personal beliefs musicians hold and the contribution artists like myself can make to the nation’s political dialog”. However, now that the Daily News has attempted to slander my name and message, it is imperative that we clear some things up.

First of all, my intent is never to demean or disrespect anyone’s loss or gain; and of course I did not “cheer when 911 happened”. I was just as saddened as everyone else. For years my career has been one of promoting peace, love, unity and having fun; such has always been Hiphop’s cultural principles. Secondly, I don’t speak for the African American community exclusively, I speak for HIPHOP! And let me be clear here; most of the Hiphop community is against the war in Iraq! But to insinuate that we (the Hiphop community) actually cheered as the twin towers fell is clearly an attempt by the Daily News to interrupt the positive efforts of our Hiphop community, KRS-ONE’s leadership and the increased momentum of our Hiphop political movement. Thirdly, I don’t think Al Qaeda needs my solidarity nor did I ever offer it. For a major news organization to now align KRS-ONE with Al Qaeda shows the unwarranted contempt that such an organization has for me. Such is grounds for a law suit!

Finally, no one should ever believe anything that the Daily News has to say about the same Hiphop community that they (the Daily News) have tried so desperately to undermine for years. The only thing the Daily News seems to be interested in is scandal and controversy and for years I have challenged the Daily News on its depictions of Rap artists and Hiphop as a whole. I know they don’t like me. However, I don’t give a ---- either! They never cover our efforts toward peace and all the charitable work we do within the Hiphop community. They never air our grievances or how we feel about the state of the world, nor have they ever aired our views on America’s invasion of Iraq simply because they just don’t want to hear them. The Hiphop community forces America to look at itself; and no one likes to take b.l.a.m.e. for their own for immaturity Because Looking At Me ain’t Easy!

For the record, I am an American philosopher. I speak and seek truth. If the slander that the Daily News has printed regarding my political views has disrespectfully offended anyone in any way I truly apologize. Again, it was never my or Hiphop’s intent to disregard, disrespect or demean the tragedy of September 11th 2002 and those that died that day. However, we do have a voice and a point of view and if you are not prepared to hear what Hiphop has to say then don’t ask!

Fantastic. This is what I mean when you start a discussion. Because this is a board with thousands of members, I appreciate somebody coming up with a different point of view or retraction. This is what it is all about.

Saying that and I fully appreciate the poster for posting this...it sounds like someone is doing some backpedaling!

It's good to see KRS-One didn't say that stuff. So what did he say then? He said he was interviewed by the Daily News, and that what they printed was false, but doesn't say what he really said or how they took it out of context.

And what was the tragedy of Sept. 11, 2002? I thought that was funny since it happened in '01. Just a slip up on his part, I'm sure.

Archived