Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

5-5 should be the goal going into week 11.....

NoCalMike

Without even looking at the schedule, I am just going to say that if we are 5-5 going into our eleventh game, then we will make the playoffs. 5-5, never "looks" impressive when you look at the standings, but realistically, at 5-5 you are still in a good position to make a run......

Considering everyone is in a first year offense(and defense) I am guessing that during the first 1-10 weeks we are going to end up losing some close games to some teams that we wouldn't lose to if we played them towards the end of the season. I don't think team will show potential through the first half of the season, but it will take half the season before they really start to shine. Which should be expected given the situation we are in. Of course I could be totally suprised, and the Skins rip off a 4-0 start, which (looking at the schedule) is possible, it is just that I am not quite ready to start looking at the schedule and pointing out games that are "in the bag" so-ta-speak. This team is far to green for that. For example, take the road game @49ers. Since it is so late in the season, (and the 49ers will be medicore) I am pretty much willing to chalk that up as a W, however if it was somewhere in the first five weeks, I wouldn't be so sure.

So what do you guys think of a 5-5 start?

Originally posted by afparent

IT SUCKS!!!!:D 6-4 is the worst I can take!

Hey man, I know 5-5 doesnt' look good, but remember in 2000, with Marty, when the Skins got to 5-5 every sportcaster thought we were going to get a WildCard spot. Trust me, there is enough medicority in the league nowadays that at 5-5 you are usually sitting pretty.

Well if we start out 5-5 that means that we must go 5-1 the rest of the way (more than likely atleast because it usually takes 10 wins to get in the playoffs).

I think it would be impossible to go 5-1 in the final 6 games. Going 5-1 would mean that we would have to get these wins vs:

At Pitt

vs. Giants

vs. Eagles

At SF

AT Dallas

vs. Minn.

Managing to go 3-3 in this stretch would be tough and 5-1 would be very difficult but anything IS possible I guess.

Gibbs is 45-22 in the final six games of the regular season.

Number of seasons we went:

1-5: 1

3-3: 1

4-2: 5

5-1: 4

6-0: 1

That's ten seasons out of twelve we won at least 4 games down the stretch. Five seasons out of twelve we went AT LEAST 5-1.

I think a 5-5 start would likely mean a 9, maybe even a 10 win season, which would be fine with me. The man knows how to close out a season.

Originally posted by RedskinsNation

Well if we start out 5-5 that means that we must go 5-1 the rest of the way (more than likely atleast because it usually takes 10 wins to get in the playoffs).

I think it would be impossible to go 5-1 in the final 6 games. Going 5-1 would mean that we would have to get these wins vs:

At Pitt

vs. Giants

vs. Eagles

At SF

AT Dallas

vs. Minn.

Managing to go 3-3 in this stretch would be tough and 5-1 would be very difficult but anything IS possible I guess.

Nation-

I agree. Very tough home stretch. I see us losing to Pitt, NYG, and Minny, who will knock us out of the wild card picture, alowing the Cowboys to move on. (I have us beating Dallas in Dallas after losing the Monday nighter to them in week 3.)

(Edit)- I do, however, see us at 5-5 after 10 and 8-8 altogether.)

Originally posted by Arsenic

11-0 should be the goal heading into week 11, IMO

I totally agree Ars. What ever your thinking if you're going to have a goal it should be to win each game. Can you imagine Joe telling the players that our goal is to lose 5 of 10 games.:2cents:

Unless the injuries to Samuels, Thomas and Arrington are more serious than what is being advertised, the Redskins won't be 5-5 after 10 weeks :)

I see this team winning first and becoming good near the end of the season. There will be some close, messy games to start off but we'll snag our share of wins and be better than average.

The NFC though could be tough this year. Beyond Philly there are 5 or 6 other teams that could be legit contenders.

But beyond Reid and Parcells and maybe Fox, I think Gibbs and Co. trumps the rest of the coaching staffs and that is going to be felt in the win column.

The Saints, who have a ton of talent, have quit under Haslett before.

Green Bay is Favre and no defense. Sherman is decent but nothing special.

I think Seattle is overrated. Holmgren has some solid skill players but they are still soft at a number of spots.

Tampa is a sleeper as is Atlanta with Vick. These guys could finish anywhere from 12-4 to 7-9 and I wouldn't be surprised.

Mora Jr. is an unknown quantity in the NFL, though.

Archived