Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Barrow vs. Pierce

Jurgensen4Prez

Barrow if his wheels are ok.

I just read an article here that said Greg Williams has had Barrow out on the field calling plays and moving around in practice, just not in pads nor getting hit. Sounded better then from the sideline.

Williams said there have been times when the entire first team defense has worked together on the practice field -- with some injured players like linebacker Mike Barrow walking through drills without pads and simulating game conditions -- but never when anyone outside the organization has been around to see it.

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=70829

The only reason Barrow hasn't played is because his knee is worse off than the skins are saying. He has more wrong than simple tendonitis.

Your right, he has chronic tendinitis.....

Most tendinitis heals in about two weeks, but chronic tendinitis can take more than six weeks, often because the sufferer doesn't give the tendon time to heal.

http://my.webmd.com/content/article/7/1680_53951.htm

Here is a quote from Barrow himself from the Times

"I'm hurt. I can't go," Barrow said. "If this was a regular-season game, I couldn't go right now. I'm hurt. So it's not precautionary. I'm not a franchise player in that regard. I'm hurt. I can't go."

http://www.washingtontimes.com/sports/20040901-115454-5533r.htm

Finally Pierce will do more than an adequate job for us until Barrow is ready. Then when he comes back Williams will still use Pierce to give each of the LB's a break every now and then.

Pierce is coming along nicely however he's a bit undersized to play MLB for a full season. Like Kurt Gouvea he'd probably end up being injured too much even though he's an otherwise good player. Most likely once Barrow comes back we'll use him in coverage and in our occasional 3-4 sets.

Regarding who should start, I'll leave that up to the coaches to decide. One thing we should feel good about though is that Michael Barrow is a very smart football player. We have heard Gregg Williams make comments regarding that quality alot. Overall, I think that Barrow's intelligence of Williams' defense from his days spent with him with the Oilers will pay dividends. It could be the difference maker in Barrow making a smooth transition into the regular season games, despite not getting in on the action during the pre-season.

I don't agree with the 'you can't lose your job because of an injury. The idea is to win and the best players should play. You can't hurt the team catering to individuals.

Pierce has been great in pre-season but is yet to play as well as Barrow did in the regular season last year. When Barrow is healthy and playing at his normal level, unless Pierce is outplaying him, Barrow will start.

I don't think there is any doubt in the minds of the coaching staff. Barrow is the starter if healthy. Pierce can fill in at MLB but at 234 he is not big enough to be a long-term solution there IMO.

He is best suited to playing OLB and if he does go on to be a starter in the NFL I believe it will be at one of those two spots.

Barrow is the one thing the Skins have not had at middle linebacker since Mat Millen was here in 1991, a sure tackler. That we need on the field as soon as possible.

I think Barrow will be on the field sooner rather than later. If it is week 2 so be it.

Originally posted by Jurgensen4Prez

I still cant believe that he's going to be all the effective in week 1 if he doesn't play or practice once. He's a veteran, true, but ask Tiger Woods what would happen to his swing if he didn't play for 4 weeks.....takes time to get it back and the same is true here. Why take that hit when we have such a formidable backup who is playing great?

4- 200 mg Advil and that tendonitis won't matter to anyone..the guy is awesome.

Archived