Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Barrow vs. Pierce

Jurgensen4Prez

Originally posted by Jurgensen4Prez

Barrow hasnt played a down but is making a ton of money, while Pierce has outperformed every linebacker on the team, who should start?

Wo wo now, slow your roll. Pierce hasn't outpreformed every linebacker on our team. Barrow is just resting his knee right now. At 34 years old, he led the conference in tackles. Barrow will be fine come regular season, that's what matters. But should Barrow go down, I'm confident in Pierce stepping in. Until Barrow proves me wrong, Barrow is the starter.

Barrow hasnt played a down but is making a ton of money, while Pierce has outperformed every linebacker on the team, who should start?

Was waiting for a thread about this. :D

Williams has said they are resting Barrow and he has no real concerns about him missing this time. He is a pro and should be able to step it up in the regular season.

As long as this injury is not worse then they are letting off.

I still cant believe that he's going to be all the effective in week 1 if he doesn't play or practice once. He's a veteran, true, but ask Tiger Woods what would happen to his swing if he didn't play for 4 weeks.....takes time to get it back and the same is true here. Why take that hit when we have such a formidable backup who is playing great?

i wouldn't say pierce out performed every linebacker on the team. i think washington has played pretty well also. i think we could live with either of them starting but its for the best that both of them play plenty of snaps.

barrow is more of the traditional LB--physical enough to take on/shed blocks, able to read plays, and technically sound enough to make tackles.

pierce is obviously quicker and gives us more options in terms of coverage,blitzing, and chasing down speedy backs but could be a problem with teams who run right at him since size and lack of experience at middle LB could be a problem. however pierce is a physical player and could be in the same mold as other sucessful undersized but speedy middle lbs like nygun, morgan, urlacher and to a lesser extent thomas.

Barrow should start without question. Pierce is the number 4 LB period. The only reason Barrow hasn't played is because his knee is worse off than the skins are saying. He has more wrong than simple tendonitis. The only question that I have about Barrow is can he bring it for a full season like he has done for many years. He is 34 years old.

I still cant believe that he's going to be all the effective in week 1 if he doesn't play or practice once. He's a veteran, true, but ask Tiger Woods what would happen to his swing if he didn't play for 4 weeks.....takes time to get it back and the same is true here. Why take that hit when we have such a formidable backup who is playing great?

If tiger woods didn't practice for 4 weeks, it wouldn't matter. He'd still be losing. What about McNair. He missed a lot of practice and... oh, he was co-MVP. :D Oh well, never mind. :)

Greg Williams said he has four starting LB's so Pierce will get a lot of playing time no matter what. Barrow is a veteran, has lots of experience and recorded 150 tackles last year. I'll take the tackling machine as my MLB any day. It's just nice to know Pierce is playing well enough for this thread to even be started.

Originally posted by Jimbo

Greg Williams said he has four starting LB's so Pierce will get a lot of playing time no matter what. Barrow is a veteran, has lots of experience and recorded 150 tackles last year. I'll take the tackling machine as my MLB any day. It's just nice to know Pierce is playing well enough for this thread to even be started.

Amen Jimbo, glad to see Pierce playing like this. Williams has thrown a ton of praise his way so far.

If Barrow is healthy (and that's a big if) then I would play him on first or obvious running downs and bring in Pierce on passing downs. This seems to be a no-brainer and for those who think otherwise then you haven't been watching pre-season games because Pierce has been all around the ball. Gibbs will not make this decision based on how much Barrow makes - it will be based on performance ie Brunell vs. Ramsey:cheers:

If everyone is healthy, I think all will see a lot of action. Williams will utilize many different packages. Starters might be hard to determine in William's system. Pierce might be on top of the depth chat for certain packages and Barrow might be on top for other packages.

I personally think that Barrow's best trait might be his intelligence and leadership and is the better overall LB of the two. But, given Barrow's age, getting Pierce in for a lot of snaps will help prolong Barrow's career.

How quickly they forget. The coaches were very high on Barrow throughout the entire offseason. He's just fallen victim to a lingering injury. Pierce is a nice player, but he's not a veteran of Barrow's caliber.

By the way, I think Devin Lemons and Lemar Marshall have played at least as well as Pierce in the preseason.

Archived