Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

fairweather fans in your town?!

illone

I was having a discussion with a close friend of mine who happens to live in the DC area, (He's a Bucs fan BTW) and he happens to think that Redskins fans are fairweather fans and only support the team when they are winning. He mentioned in particular that the stands cleared last year at the Bucs game in the 3rd quarter. He was there to cheer on his stupid Buccaneers.

I was literally at a loss for words, seeing as though we've been sold out in our stadium since the dawn of time at least as long as I've been alive (Jack Kent Cooke era). I only spent a short time in DC as a young kid so I never really got a chance to witness this for myself, but having grown up in San Diego I know first hand what Fairweather Fans are like, and I can't imagine Redskins fans being like this.

I can't imagine anyone on this site being supportive only when we are doing well, but those of you who live in the DC area, do you see alot of this?! Those who live in other towns feel free to chime in as well regarding where you live and how the fans are.

:point2sky :logo:

Our sellout record speaks for itself.

I think all fans react to teams the same way. I mean Cinncinatti just sold out its stadium for the first time in a gazillion years, well they have been a losing franchise forever. If you look at the amount of sellouts, it's a pretty good gauge. I didn't understand what a TV blackout was until I moved to South Jersey (Eagles) about 10yrs ago.

Originally posted by WilberMarshall

80% of the Fairweather fans sit in the Club level...

I had the pleasure of sitting in one of the suites (hershey's) for the Skins/Philly game three years ago in December. My father and I were the only ones in jerseys. I also proceeded to open up the windows to take in the weather/stadium atmosphere. I was blasted to shut the windows from the cheese and suit crowd. Which I proudly responded "Where the hell do you think you are."

Let's just say the windows stayed open and the hershey's chocolate was good.

I also must admit the food was darn good as well.:helmet:

Dallas is the home of the Fairweather Fan. Trust me. Everyone turns on the Cowboys when they are losing. I thought it was funny until I moved here. Now I actually pity the team when things are bad. These players don't know what it is like to get support from the fans regardless.

There are always fairweather fans floating around and yes, they exist for the Redskins too. Just look at the thread about changing the team's name in the tailgate forum. 17.5% of those polled said if the team was forced to change it's name, they'd find another team to cheer for. That's an example of a fairweather fan.

Redskin fans are VERY knowledgable about the game. By the early 4th quarter, I was disgusted by our performance and I am not a masochist. When Gibbs starts winning, though, the number of fairweather Redskin fans WILL grow and probably much faster than new die hards.

Actually, fans come in several varieties:

- True die-hards like us who are always active.

- Those who like the Redskins in general but are not always fanatical about it. Some of these, especially with a return to winning football, may become die-hards. This would also include people like my mother who was almost fantical about the 'Skins during the first Gibbs era because she was friends with Pat or many of our significant others who are fanatical because we are fanatical.

- The fairweather fans. This would include both the 'fans' who like to follow a winning team and those who just go for the 'event'.

I suppose it was just a shock to me. When I think fairweather fan I think of the guy who is trash talking the team when they don't do well, and not claiming to be a fan, then the next season when they do well the same guy has the teams hat and is screamin "Been a fan since day one" type stuff.

It's to be expected that some people just don't love football or the skins as much as I do, but at least I follow the team rain or shine.

Ok, as far as defining fair weather fans as leaving early, first off, every teams fans do that, secondly, with our traffic problems, of course people are going to leave early. Hell, we are depressed at that point and we need to get out of there before we get more depressed.

I admit I didn't go to any games the last two years. Why? I didn't feel like spending a couple of hundred dollars a game to get depressed. That doesn't mean I am a fair weather fan. I know people who are diehard who have never been to a game. They just can't afford it and have families to feed.

I can tell you this, I haven't missed a game on TV, no matter what their record is. I have to watch my skins.

Skin fans have been through a lot that most teams haven't. In the 60s we were pretty much perennial losers, but we watched and were dedicated fans. In the 70s we started winning. We never won the big one, but we loved our skins. In the 80s and early 90s we hit paydirt. All those years of suffering finally paid off and we were one of the most respected franchieses in sports. Then we went through that 11 out of 12 year drought. I mean we went from the penthouse to the outhouse. During those bad years, we were the best team in July but most of the years ended in disappointed to the point we were the joke of the NFL. Now we have the Great one back.

You have to understand, we have been waiting 12 years for this after being spoiled for a whole decade. Bottom line, don't judge us by leaving the stadium early, we have been through footbal hell lately....but all that is about to change!!!!:point2sky

Good post af, i too remember the glory days even if i was a wee lad riding my grandads knee while he watched the game :laugh:

I fondly remember the year we beat the Bills in the SB because I kept telling all of my friends that year that we were going to win it all. I probably made $100 throughout the year on various bets (which back then seemed like alot) i was in 7th or 8th grade. hehe

Originally posted by fuji869

A Buccaneers fan said that, we know they have had a loyal fan base prior to the Tony Dungy Era. :rolleyes:

We are one of the most Die Hard fans in the NFL! :wavetowel

Your friend is clueless. :loser:

HAHA, no doubt!

Being that I live near the Tampa area, I can personally vouch that most Tampa sports fans are fairweather fans. The difference in the Bucs interest between this past year and the year before are a perfect example of what types of fans Tampa fans are. By the middle of the year people were swearing the team off. Just look at the Lightnings season this year, their stadium was averaging something like 7,000 fans per game before the all star break.

And don't even make me get started on Miami.:doh:

Originally posted by illone

I was having a discussion with a close friend of mine who happens to live in the DC area, (He's a Bucs fan BTW) and he happens to think that Redskins fans are fairweather fans and only support the team when they are winning. He mentioned in particular that the stands cleared last year at the Bucs game in the 3rd quarter. He was there to cheer on his stupid Buccaneers.

I was literally at a loss for words, seeing as though we've been sold out in our stadium since the dawn of time at least as long as I've been alive (Jack Kent Cooke era). I only spent a short time in DC as a young kid so I never really got a chance to witness this for myself, but having grown up in San Diego I know first hand what Fairweather Fans are like, and I can't imagine Redskins fans being like this.

I can't imagine anyone on this site being supportive only when we are doing well, but those of you who live in the DC area, do you see alot of this?! Those who live in other towns feel free to chime in as well regarding where you live and how the fans are.

:point2sky :logo:

Well, I wouldn't go as far to say that just because the stands started emptying out that that made them fairweather fans. The fairweather ones are the ones that have been selling their tickets to BUCS fans because we weren't winning. Now, instead of selling them to other team fans are going to keep them for themselves because Gibbs is back.

The truth is, yes, there are alot of fairweather fans in this area. I work in Tysons Corner & all I see is fairweather fans. Mainly Dallas & Filthy fans, but they are there. It can be difficult to set them apart from the rest of the REAL fans, but once you start talking to them, REAL fans can tell the difference. There are fairweather fans for every team. Regardless of what team you root for & it is never easy to swallow, but it's true. Fans that actually show up to games, even if they leave early, are not my opinion of fairweather fans. The ones selling their tickets to the first buyer, not caring what team they root for, those are fairweather fans. Although, I will agree to some extent, that those that leave early after a couple of bad drives & a TD by the opponent in the 2nd half could be viewed that way, but I don't really see it that way.

Tell your Bucs fan friend to be at the game this year. Not only will the stands be rockin', there also won't be many Bucs fans at all! And tell him good luck.

:bucsuck: :bucsuck: :bucsuck:

BTW, it should be duly noted that the tattoos that are my sig pics I have had for 5 years! Long before Gibbs' return. There is nothing fairweather about me!

Originally posted by DieselPwr44

There are always fairweather fans floating around and yes, they exist for the Redskins too. Just look at the thread about changing the team's name in the tailgate forum. 17.5% of those polled said if the team was forced to change it's name, they'd find another team to cheer for. That's an example of a fairweather fan.

I found that incredibly disturbing as well :mad: :mad:

Originally posted by illone

I suppose it was just a shock to me. When I think fairweather fan I think of the guy who is trash talking the team when they don't do well, and not claiming to be a fan, then the next season when they do well the same guy has the teams hat and is screamin "Been a fan since day one" type stuff.

It's to be expected that some people just don't love football or the skins as much as I do, but at least I follow the team rain or shine.

I will say that while I was working on a construction site at UMD 4 years ago, when the Ravens went to the Super Bowl, there were some Redskins fans that were jumping ship claiming that it was ok because the Redskins weren't doing anything & the Ravens are still considered a local team:wtf: . This is a HUGE reason why I HATE the Ravens & Ravens fans. To me, all their fans are just fairweather Redskins fans & the week before we go to the Super Bowl, they'll jump off of the Ravens bandwagon & back onto ours. Needless to say, I wore my Redskins hard hat everyday to work during that time & as I said, these tats are 5 years old so I had them on display the whole time too. I never caught more hell then at that time! F*CK THE RAVENS!!!

:ravensuck :ravensuck :ravensuck

Just another questions regarding our sell out streak. If we have had this thing going on for so long now, how come when you come to the games, be it in 96 when Norv blew a 7-1 startor the div winning 99 season, why are there always empty seats? :wtf: And not just the club level. Although that is one of the most embarassing things when discussing our beloved Skins with fans around the league. Those empty yellow seats stick out like a turd in a punchbowl. :puke:

I wish that the money grubbing ****s that horde the season tix, with no intentions of going to any games, would let them go to someone that would appreciate them.

Originally posted by CowboyzSuckAzz

I will say that while I was working on a construction site at UMD 4 years ago, when the Ravens went to the Super Bowl, there were some Redskins fans that were jumping ship claiming that it was ok because the Redskins weren't doing anything & the Ravens are still considered a local team:wtf: . This is a HUGE reason why I HATE the Ravens & Ravens fans. To me, all their fans are just fairweather Redskins fans & the week before we go to the Super Bowl, they'll jump off of the Ravens bandwagon & back onto ours. Needless to say, I wore my Redskins hard hat everyday to work during that time & as I said, these tats are 5 years old so I had them on display the whole time too. I never caught more hell then at that time! F*CK THE RAVENS!!!

:ravensuck :ravensuck :ravensuck

Now i have an even better reason to hate those pansies in purple. Nobody jumps MY ship gat dammit.

:ravensuck

Originally posted by WilberMarshall

80% of the Fairweather fans sit in the Club level...

Nice try ... its an equal opportunity thing.

We suck as a group just as the team does.

No pointing fingers and taking credit for lame showings for the past years.

Gibbs is the sherriff back in town and you better lose your tude or you're going down too !!!!

I have a question if your team is so die hard, then how come that stadium looked like a cowboys home game in that 0-27 loss to the cowboys at FedEx.

When the Ravens beat the browns at CBS stadium in Cleveland ( 0-34 score) how come there were still alot of browns fans there.

same cant be said for the skins

Originally posted by DarkLadyRaven

I have a question if your team is so die hard, then how come that stadium looked like a cowboys home game in that 0-27 loss to the cowboys at FedEx.

When the Ravens beat the browns at CBS stadium in Cleveland ( 0-34 score) how come there were still alot of browns fans there.

same cant be said for the skins

:doh: bad memories of seasons gone by. I wasn't there myself, but I probably would have left just to make the pain start to go away. As far as the Browns, what else is there to do in Ohio:laugh:

Archived