Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New Trade Offer

Thinking Skins

Ogun for Ramsey??

I mean Ramsey's not going to start this year, and we know from last year and preseason that Tim Hassel is a pretty good backup, who Gibbs loves. Ramsey was demanding to be traded if he wasn't going to be a starter. Trading him should free up some cap room to work with. Then we could sign Ogun and have an even more dominant defense....

U like??

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?id=1864611

Bears, agent working on Ogunleye deal

By Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

Despite early pessimism from parties involved in the dicey negotiations, the deadline for a trade that would swap Pro Bowl players was extended twice Saturday night, heightening the chances that the deal might yet be completed.

Dolphins holdout defensive end Adewale Ogunleye would go to Chicago and Bears standout wide receiver Marty Booker to Miami. The Dolphins would also receive a third-round pick in the 2005 draft.

The deal, aimed at filling holes for both teams, originally was conditional upon the Bears being able to reach a contract with Ogunleye, the leading sacker in the AFC in 2003, by 7 p.m. EDT Saturday. That deadline was extended to 8:30 p.m., and then extended again when the Bears made progress toward a contract with Ogunleye.

As of 9:30, the negotiations between the Bears and agent Drew Rosenhaus continued. Earlier in the evening, Rosenhaus said he was "very pessimistic" about being able to strike a deal so quickly. His stance changed as the evening wore on.

It is believed the Bears initially offered about $4 million in bonuses; Ogunleye has been seeking a deal that would roughly triple that in up-front money. Having negotiated the eight-year, $66 million that unrestricted free agent Jevon Kearse signed with Philadelphia this spring, which included a $16 million signing bonus, Rosenhaus has a demonstrated knowledge of the market at the position.

The Dolphins are desperate to fill gaping holes on offense created by the abrupt retirement of tailback Ricky Williams and the season-ending knee injury suffered by wide receiver David Boston two weeks ago.

Booker, 28, is a five-year veteran who has 249 receptions, 2,975 yards and 18 touchdowns in the last three seasons.

He had a combined 197 catches in 2001-2002, and went over the 1,000-yard mark each of those seasons. His receptions total fell to 52 in 2003, when he was limited by injuries to 13 appearances, but the former Northeast Louisiana star is still regarded leaguewide as a quality playmaker.

Booker doesn't provide the speed that Boston would have for Miami, but he would be an excellent replacement.

The Dolphins made Ogunleye the high-level qualifying offer for a restricted free agent in the offseason. When he declined to sign, the team, as was its prerogative, reduced that one-year offer to $455,000 in mid-April. Ogunleye had a base salary of $375,000 in '03.

Ogunleye, 26, became a starter in 2002 and has 24½ sacks the past two seasons.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

Here's an idea, what you see is what you get. In other words, no more trades, just go with the players we have now and run with it. After tonights game it sure as hell looks like they'll be able to get pressure with what the have not to mention we were missing one of our biggest rushers in Lavar tonight.

Originally posted by Destino

That's stupid. You get no cap space and decrase your depth at a key spot.

I'm gonna go ahead and play the argument out even though one of my assumptions was incorrect.

I'm still not so confident in our DL. Sure our defense is looking good right now, but its preseason, and while its something to talk about with my friends, its not something that I'm willing to place a bet on.

On the other hand, look at ourquarterbacks. Tonight Brunell showed that he has taken grasp of the Gibbs offense. In the first two games Tim showed that he could handle the offense, and given last year the way he played, I'd be pretty confident that he could survive if need be.

So then, I'd see it as having 2 of the most important positions on our teams. One of them is overstocked and one is understocked. So the way I see it is that theoretically we should be able to use the overstocked position (QB) to help with the understocked position (DL).

Even if this doesn't provide the cap relief that I was initially suggesting, I see this as a similar argument to the Gardner for Ogun trade. Obviously with Gardner replaced by Ramsey. The noticable exception is that Ramsey is much much more valuable than Gardner, so the trade swings from one where we would need to include something like Betts or a second rounder to one where we are giving much more than they need. So they would be including something like a first or a second.

I mean, Ramsey has been impressive over his 2 years here, but if we're not going to use him, we should definately know what he's worth and weigh being overstocked at one position versus understocked at another. Thats what I'm comparing.

This really needs to stop. People just want to trade away anything and everything for the next big name. Forget it, I hope we're done with that and can finally focus on the draft and picking up anything else to fill holes through free agency without giving up too much.

Originally posted by jrfriedm

Ramsey will be a great one, maybe even a hof. I like Timmy, but I don't think he's that calibar of a player.

a hof?

A HOF??

The dude played 2 years?

He's started something like 16 games? Never been to a pro bowl. Never thrown for 3000 yards. never thrown 30 td's. He can't even win a starting spot. How can he go from backup QB to HOF like that?

I understand your argument, but saying HOF is way too much of a hyperbole. Juse say 'all pro'. Cause with your reasoning anyone could be a HOF, so we shouldn't cut anybody.

The dude played 2 years?

He's started something like 16 games? Never been to a pro bowl. Never thrown for 3000 yards. never thrown 30 td's. He can't even win a starting spot. How can he go from backup QB to HOF like that?

I understand your argument, but saying HOF is way too much of a hyperbole. Juse say 'all pro'. Cause with your reasoning anyone could be a HOF, so we shouldn't cut anybody.

I'm going to jump into that arguement and agree that Ramsey atm is neither a all pro or a HoF'er. On the other hand he is a solid young QB with a great arm who can really become a solid starter in a year or 2. While it could happen, chances are Brunell may not make it through the whole season and I'd rather have Ramsey around to take over if that did happen.

Originally posted by blakman211

The dude played 2 years?

He's started something like 16 games? Never been to a pro bowl. Never thrown for 3000 yards. never thrown 30 td's.

Spurrier.

btw...if those 16 games were in a row, he would have 3700+ yards and 23 tds :)

I mean, Ramsey has been impressive over his 2 years here, but if we're not going to use him, we should definately know what he's worth and weigh being overstocked at one position versus understocked at another. Thats what I'm comparing.

Who says we're not going to use him?

He's the future of this franchise.

Originally posted by blakman211

Ogun for Ramsey??

I mean Ramsey's not going to start this year, and we know from last year and preseason that Tim Hassel is a pretty good backup, who Gibbs loves. Ramsey was demanding to be traded if he wasn't going to be a starter. Trading him should free up some cap room to work with. Then we could sign Ogun and have an even more dominant defense....

U like??

Dumb

Archived