Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Overall Thoughts???

Mr. S

Ok, here are my overall thoughts on the game. Sorry if someone started a thread like this, please merge, I havent seen one yet though.

Brunell and Ramsey just could not seem to get anything going. Granted they didnt have their go to guy Coles in for long. Portis was only in for very little, but kept getting stuffed (why didnt they try the counter trey with him?). The first half just seemed so boring.

Springs had a great INT that he dove for, Im glad we have him now, I just hope he remains healthy. Smoot had a few good plays as well. Nothing from Lott, but Taylor, man that kid put a smile on my face, he pretty much turned that game around Id say. I was quite impressed with the defensive line, they consistently put pressure, whether it worked or not depends on the time in the game you look at. I liked that one leap by LB 50 (campbell I believe), very awesome sack. Marcus Washington displayed some good playing as well.

I mentioned Taylor already, but man am I glad we didnt take Karl, he wouldnt have even played in the game. Hasselbeck, a lot more mobile and daring. He wants that roster spot, and fought well for it. Ghary Scott (sp) also made a nice reception, and just played well overall. McCants stepped it up later in the game as well. Simon did awesome returning punts/kicks. McCulloch, I used to like Rock a lot, but now I like Sultan, that guy showed some major moves, speed, and power. I feel bad for Rock, but I want a win more.

I feel bad about losing Jansen, I wonder what will happen to fix that hole now.

Overall, the offense was pretty unimpressive to say the least. However, the defense showed a lot of good promise, especially in consistently keeping pressure.

What say all of you guys?

I thought it was sloppy for both teams and if the Redskins were not in it I would probably have feel asleep. But hey it is only preseason and the frist game after being in camp for just over a week.

A little drama at the end though. Nice to see us on the winning end of a last minuite game winning drive. ;)

They've got work to do. Especially on offense, but the first string defense was not all that impressive either.

You could scrape the rust off of Brunell. WD40 anyone?

Ramsey, bless his heart, holds the ball too long in the pocket. Perhaps the blocking was not all that bad last year. But then again, maybe he thought he would have more time being protected by Gibbs scheme.

Sean "Bright Eyes" Taylor showed good instincts and skills. Nice INT for TD.

Hasselbeck for President?

My thought? Worst preseason game ever. Losing Jansen is so terrible and such a big loss to us. He's been a Redskins longer than any current player. He was most important veteran at the most important position on the team. I'm sorry we have to start out like this.

oh yeah, I forgot to mention the special teams much. The coverage was horrible, anyone catch how frustrated Morton was? Id be too if I have 5 blockers in front of me and still cant find a whole to get through. Simon looked a lot better at returning, but he seemed to try and go as fancy as possible. The Punt coverage was pretty good thoguh however, but the Kick coverage and return was pretty horrible.

I don't think that Jansen's loss tilts the QB race in Ramseys favor at all. We have a staff that's battle tested and that will find a way to protect our QBs blind side.

Heck, I think in the later stages of the game we started seeing some of the stuff that could be a staple of our game if Brunell ends up under center.

Move the pocket around keep extra blockers on the weak side, etc.

I have confidence that for the first time in years our team will come out prepared and ready to play no matter what the circumstances are.

Originally posted by Mr. S

oh yeah, I forgot to mention the special teams much. The coverage was horrible, anyone catch how frustrated Morton was? Id be too if I have 5 blockers in front of me and still cant find a whole to get through. Simon looked a lot better at returning, but he seemed to try and go as fancy as possible. The Punt coverage was pretty good thoguh however, but the Kick coverage and return was pretty horrible.

I don't think Morton was as frustrated about the blocking as he was about not being able to make a guy or two miss. On the one play where he threw the ball down in disgust he could have easily popped off a 30+ yard return had he been able to make one defender miss.

I think special teams coverage was alright in the first half but got a lot worse with the 'scrubs' in during the second half.

prepared says it all. not any mental mistakes of note, which was a staple of the earlier regimes. an aggressive d. loved how madden noted how we were blitzing more than normal in a preseason game. and just think, it's preseason, it's vanilla. the jansen injury is huge, but, thank the football gods, we have buges and gibbs running the offense and evaluating talent.

all things considered, i liked what i saw.

To me the game was sloppy, and as for Portis...who cares what he did, he didn't get hurt. And I don't think Gibbs is going to unviel his bag of tricks yet. Taylor looked good, just keep the rest of our biys healthy. As far as Jansen, I have pretty bad tendonitis in my acholles, and let me tell you it hurts like a mother some times. Just bad timing, who knows, maybe he can come back for the playoffs??:cheers:

My thoughts on the game. First off losing Jansen sucks. I think the biggest thing I saw was the discipline by the first stringers on offense. I could be wrong but I didn't see any false start or holding penalties. That is a good start.

The other important thing is that we are set at QB. Brunnel, Ramsey, and Hasselbeck. Hamden is back on the Practice Squad.

Brunell and Ramsey both had unimpressive games. Brunell was off target and Ramsey held on the ball to long.

I hate to say this, but Rock didn't show me anything. Sultan, however, didn't do to bad a job.

The kickoff coverage was very unimpressive and our kickoff returns was also unimpressive.

It's clear that the defense is further along than the offense and hopefully we will see improvement this weekend.

I did see less dropped passes and less stupid penalties than Denver.

I was at work so I only got to see bits and pieces of it.

Like.....The Swedish kicker almost hit the upright.:laugh:

And.....Quentin Griffin get big chunks of yards.:mad:

And.....Sean Taylor get TWO INT's. One for the TD.:point2sky

Heard about Jansen on the radio well after the game was over.:(

I did see some stats during portions of the game. Did not like what I saw there. However it is only one preseason game. There is plenty of time to get the kinks worked out.

I was excited about the pass rush and quarter back pressure the defense got. I was disturbed with the pass defense, and couldnt help but feel happy Denvers recievers had the drops.

I see a little scheme developing, arrington up tight on the line , and teams running that direction or dumping off passes in that area left open.

just my thoughts.

Our line play seemed slow when they were pulling... Our RB's looked a bit lost but it could have been the line not getting out quick enough to open the lanes... The Rock looked as bad as i have seen him with the Rock!!! Only one game though we know he can be better!!!

Taylor is truly going to be a major factor in games.... he made a believer out of me:notworthy

Loosing Jansen.... Words simply cant describe the loss!!!!

Skinster!!!

Skin 4 Life

I liked the fact that we had 3 sacks and 3 turnovers from the Defense, while we were sacked only once with no turnovers. The QB's performance didn't disappoint me, they will be fine. Marcus Washington and Shawn Springs were very impressive in the time they were in there. Although it was one play, I loved Gardner getting that 1st down on Champ.

Originally posted by Fred Jones

Brunell and Ramsey both had unimpressive games. Brunell was off target and Ramsey held on the ball to long.

I hate to say this, but Rock didn't show me anything. Sultan, however, didn't do to bad a job.

The kickoff coverage was very unimpressive and our kickoff returns was also unimpressive.

It's clear that the defense is further along than the offense and hopefully we will see improvement this weekend.

I did see less dropped passes and less stupid penalties than Denver.

Textbook Joe Gibbs preseason. Now he can get to work. :D

I saw two coaches playing to win with whichever players they had on the field. Coach Gibbs pulled out the win in his first football game in over a decade.

We were watching a master at work. Our years of wandering the desert are over. Words can’t describe how good it feels to have our Coach back.

Hail!

heh, Renegade, yeh Samuels is off. I never wanted to endorse his or Gardners trade anyways, you never know what can happen out there.

One question I gotta ask, we ran the ball a lot in the beginning. Then we passed a lot in the second half with Hasselbeck. I remember my dad saying 'they're passing the ball a lot, thats not like Gibbs". I think though, we also had our best runs in the second half. I understand, backups against backups, but you need a solid running game to control the clock, but I think if we threw a bit more in the beginning, we woulda allowed more runs to happen early on.

Overall, I'm dissapointed. The loss of Jansen is devastating, both on and off the field, especially if Brunell starts. It was nice to get a win but, offensively, the Redskins were totally inept through the first three quarters. Brunell and Ramsey looked bad at best, and the running game was weak no matter who was carrying the ball. The defensive line looked like the were getting pushed around (big suprise there). However, I thought Marcus Washington played a spectacular game in what little time he was in there. And of course, without Taylor, it would have been a loss.

Archived