Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If you like drums, you must check out this album!

Ignatius J.

I posted in the Die Hard Rookie drumming thread that we should have more drum threads and fewer politics threads. Here's a drum thread.

What albums do you believe present the best of drumming?

I don't want anyone to mention Tool or Rush or Led Zepplin, okay, because we're going to assume that people don't have thier heads up thier ......

My List Begins with:

Tony Williams' Lifetime : Turn it Over

Lifetime is a group that tony williams formed after he got out from under miles davis' wing. He teamed up with John McLauglin, who later formed the mahavishno orchestra, Larry Young on organs, and Cream Bass Player Jack Bruce on a few tracks. This album is loud and aggressive and has all the attitude of a 70s hard rock band at it's most intense coupled with outstanding jazz musicianship. The fact that the music is centered around the drummer makes up for the few attempts where the drummer starts singing ......

so what albums do you feel have simply amazing drumming?

Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced

Often overlooked because of Jimi's amazing guitar playing, but it has some fantastic drumming as well. Manic Depression is amazing.

And speaking of drums, has anybody ever seen the Duke Ellington Orchestra perform? I saw them last week, and their drummer, can't recall the name, gave the most unbelievable solo I've ever seen.

You cant leave out ...............And Justice for All!!!!!

C'MON with One, Dyers Eve, Blackened, and Harvestor of Sorrow to name a couple.

CLASSIC:cheers:

-------------------------------------------------------

"To be the man you have to beat the man!!!!!!!!!!!!"

At the Drive-In's Relationship of Command has some crazy, hardcore-esque drumming. Pretty damn good. Anything by Green Day seems to have drumming that complements the rest of the music really well. My fave has to be Catch 22's Keasby Nights. Amazing, amazing ska drumming. It's sick.

I'm not a great judge, and I'm sure there's much better drumming not only out there but probably in my CD collection. But check out Keasby Nights regardless. If you like ska remotely, it's a brilliant CD.

Originally posted by Ænima

Slayer - Reign in Blood

YYEAH!

Judas Priest's "Stained Class" is awesome. I also dig the drums on Queens of the Stone Age's "Songs for the Deaf" and "Rated R".

Different, but ska band Rx Bandits has a really awesome drummer and "Progress" is a really great album, even though I'm not a big ska fan.

...and Led Zeppelin I-IV, Physical Graffiti, Presence, Houses of the Holy, In Through the Out Door and Rush's 2112, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, and Signals. I just can't make a fair list with out them.

Other than Danny Cary of Tool, and Neil Peart of Rush who IMO are the Kings of Rock Drumming...

I would say that Abe Cunningham of the Deftones is pretty cool. He does some different stuff that gives me a little trouble from time to time. Definately cool.

System of a Downs drummer and Lars Ulrich are good drummers, I like what they do, but they are not difficult to play.

Matt Cameron from Soundgarden and more recently Pearl Jam is pretty freakin awsome too.

I'll bet no here has heard of Barry Brandt of Angel. The band itself was a Cassablanca label knock off of Kiss and was pretty lame but BB is just awsome. Pat travers with Tommy Aldrich( drums) & Mars Cowling ( bass) is very good too.

As far as current rock drummers, Mike Portnoy & Carter Beauford are about the best I can think of.

Trilok Gurtu is a pretty damned exciting jazz drummer. My other favs are Michael Giles, Bill Bruford, Stu Copeland & Steve Gadd.

(edit) Let me ad Manú Kache to that list as well.

Originally posted by Ancalagon the Black

...Wasn't it originally written as a drum solo/study?

Yes, it was. It was written as pretty much a throw-away melody - I heard Brubeck say that in an interview. I always liked 'Blue Rondo a la Turk' from that same album.

Archived