Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If you like drums, you must check out this album!

Ignatius J.

Originally posted by Ancalagon the Black

Didn't Billy C play the drums on that album?

No, he played everything but percussion on Siamese Dream. Billy is a perfectionist like no other, and with all of the problems the band was going through at the time they were working on Dream, he didn't trust the stability of the band. Jimmy C was the only one to play besides Billy, even though he was struggling with his heroin addiction.

Originally posted by Mufumonk

No, he played everything but percussion on Siamese Dream. Billy is a perfectionist like no other, and with all of the problems the band was going through at the time they were working on Dream, he didn't trust the stability of the band. Jimmy C was the only one to play besides Billy, even though he was struggling with his heroin addiction.

Cool; didn't know that.

• 7 years later...

If you enjoy Danny Carey's drumming and Tool's music, check out this band:

Karnivool are one of the greatest bands I've ever seen live. After seeing them four times and Tool four times, I can't say whether Danny Carey or Steve Judd is a better drummer. This is the most Carey-like track from Judd. Note the ghost notes at the beginning and the various dynamics he plays with throughout the song -- phenomenal track. He has only been with the band for one album (Sound Awake), but I can say as a drummer totally obsessed with their previous material that he nails the **** out of it.

Another:

This is from their first album, Themata. The incredible thing to me about this album is that it has some of the most challenging time signatures I've ever heard, and the drum tracks were played by the freakin' guitarist, Drew Goddard.

As a sidenote, if you are into prog rock and you don't know these guys, get on it. They're now my favorite band (Tool was from 1994-2007, when I found these guys). They have soooo much talent. The bass is probably the best I've ever heard in the genre, Ian's voice is mind-bogglingly good (he's also the front for the pop rock band Birds of Tokyo), and both guitarists do things with delay that sends chills up my spine. Added to the fact that Drew is a beastly multi-instrumentalist and Mark (the other guitarist) is an incredible vocalist in his own right.

Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced

Often overlooked because of Jimi's amazing guitar playing, but it has some fantastic drumming as well. Manic Depression is amazing.

And speaking of drums, has anybody ever seen the Duke Ellington Orchestra perform? I saw them last week, and their drummer, can't recall the name, gave the most unbelievable solo I've ever seen.

Mitch Mitchell is one of my favorite drummers. He was overshadowed by Hendrix amazingly awesome guitar play, but still stood out nonetheless!

Archived