Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

'91 Skins vs. '04 Skins - Opinions!?

I was thinking about how our team this year stacks up against the SB team from '91...

QB's

'91 = Rypien/Rutledge/Humphries

'04 = Brunell/Ramsey/Hasselbeck

- It seems as if Rypien came out of the woodwork that year, but he was in Gibbs system for 4 years prior to learn the position. Overall I think we have to say that the '04 trio is better overall.

Edge = '04

RB's

'91 = Byner/Riggs/Ervins

'04 = Portis/Betts/Rock/Morton

- Byner was about the most complete back as you could find back then. In '91 they had speed (Ervins), power (Riggs), shiftyness/recieving threat (Byner). Portis is/will be fine but I think due to the veterans in '91 you have to say they had the slight edge back then.

Edge = '91

WR's

'91 = Monk/Clark/Sanders/Hobbs

'04 = Coles/Gardner/Jacobs/Thrash/McCants

I love Coles but Im biased because I was raised on Monk/Clark/Sanders so I have to give the edge to "The Posse". Gardner hasnt been nearly consistent nor is he the threat that Clark or Sanders ever were. I think we have a ton of youth/potential right now but the edge still leans towards '91.

Edge = '91

TE's/H-Back

'91 = Middleton/Warren/Jimmie Johnson

'04 = Cooley/Rasby/Sellers

Obviously there were more then 3 TE's/H-back back then and now but these guys were probably the most prominent. Zero of our current guys have much experience so this is not even an arguement.

Edge = '91

OL

'91- Bostic/Lachey/Jacoby/Simmons/Grimm

'04 - Raymer/Jansen/Samuels/Dockery/Thomas

Again I have a '91 bias in favor of "The Hogs" however I think our guys this year are right there if not slightly more athletic. This may not agree w/folks but thats fine - I do respect your opinion. So...

Edge = '04

Kicker

'91 = Lohmiller

'04 = Hall

This is dead even in my opinion. Lohmiller was great but it seems like he wasnt around very long. Hall has been around for 4 yrs or so and I dont see him slowing down. For this reason I gotta go w/ J.Hall.

Edge = '04

Return Men

'91 = B.Mitch

'04 = Morton

I think Morton is faster straight up, but B.Mitch just always got it done and was always consistent. I gotta think B.Mitch gets the nod here.

Edge = '91

D-Line

'91 = Mann/Stokes/Wilson/Jumpy Geathers/Tim Johnson/Eric Williams

'04 = Griffin/Daniels/Wynn/Noble/Upshaw/Holsey etc...

This year's line wont scare anyone. Charles Mann alone scared more people than the line '04. I think this area is a non-issue.

Edge = '91

CB's/Secondary

'91 = D.Green/Wilburn/Mayhew/B.Edwards etc...

'04 = Springs/Smoot/S.Taylor/Bowen/Harris/Brown/Bauman etc..

I love Darrel, but this years secondary has too much depth/talent to overlook.

Edge = '04

LB's

'91 = Marshall/Millen/Coleman

'04 = LaVar/Washington/Barrow

Lavar is a beast, but Coleman was consistent - not to mention the most underappreciated Redskin of all time. Marshall was a walking nightmare w/ the #58 on his chest. I think Barrow is a stud but is aging.

Edge = '91

Total Team Breakdown

'91 = 6

'04 = 4

Thoughts?

From a talent standpoint position by position you could make an argument that the 2004 version of the Redskins has more talent than the 1991 Redskins. But, part of being a great team is growing as a team and being a team. That's not something we've seen from the Redskins in a very long time. Our problem has not been a lack of ability on the roster for some time. It's been a combination of other factors. Perhaps Gibbs will be the guy to figure those factors out for us.

Originally posted by Reaganaut

Position by position, we simply do not have the ability to compare players. Take the best years by each player and stack them up I guess, but I think that would likely balance out to 91.

Exactly. I was thinking though... did Gibbs make some of these players great? Or were they great without him. If he was the reason they were great then the sky is the limit for our team now - which seems to have some players who have yet to play consistently up to their potential.

Nothing against Laveranues or the WR core, but how can you compare him, Drops Gardner, and Darnerian to THE POSSE...

YOU CAN'T!!

Monk, Clark, and Sanders each had the ability to bust a game wide open...Coles is the only one that can do that right now in this current squad

Originally posted by xanathos19

Nothing against Laveranues or the WR core, but how can you compare him, Drops Gardner, and Darnerian to THE POSSE...

YOU CAN'T!!

Monk, Clark, and Sanders each had the ability to bust a game wide open...Coles is the only one that can do that right now in this current squad

Obviously you cant compare them. The edge already went to "The Posse" on this one.

The key to any successful TEAM is not talent, but UNSELFISH TEAM UNITY. Just ask the Phil jackson and the underachieving Lakers about that! The Skins have looked good on paper for many of the past few seasons. The year we bought sorry ass Deion, Bruce smith, and Jeff George to our franchise...most people predicted we would go to the Super Bowl that year. Let's just wait and see....

Redskins Nation-

Wuttup! I was extremely intrigued by your thread. What a cool idea to break up the doldrums. So I clicked, entered and began. Then I got to the part where you rated the 2004 offensive line ABOVE the 1991 Hogs. Had to stop right there and ask you what you were thinking before I go any further.

yeh, i agree with the line now being better, i mean, people talk about last year, but they got better in the 2nd half of the season. They also didnt have any clue what they were supposed to do out there, no good blocking schemes, and the audibles just made them false start too much. The Hogs were great, but these guys have more talent, and once Bugel's done with them, they will be a dominant line on par with The Hogs.

Everything else looks about right, our LB's have something to prove to try and rank to the 91 guys, no matter how much talent they have. Yeh, the depth at every position in 91 really made the difference.

Doing a comparison of Skins teams from 1991 to 2004 going position to position ignores what make Gibbs the GENIUS that he is. Gibbs strenth is that he is a master at exploiting a players strengths while hiding their weaknesses. That is why Gibbs prefers smart players over players like Meshawn.

I remember doing a simlar comparison of the 91 Bills to the 91 Redskins and I recall that position by position the Bills had the edge (Kelly vs. Rypien; Byner vs. Thurman Thomas; Bruce Smith vs any Skin D-Lineman, etc...)

What made the 91 Skins GREAT was that they were a TEAM in every aspect of the word. Lets give Gibbs some time to cement the current group of players together to see if they can perform as well as the players who preceded them.

Originally posted by Chachie

Redskins Nation-

Wuttup! I was extremely intrigued by your thread. What a cool idea to break up the doldrums. So I clicked, entered and began. Then I got to the part where you rated the 2004 offensive line ABOVE the 1991 Hogs. Had to stop right there and ask you what you were thinking before I go any further.

1st of all its an Opinion. 2nd of all my rationale is that the coaching was a MAJOR part of the success of the '91 team. If you dont agree w/that than you are oblivious to what went on last year. I think (my opinion is neither wrong nor right) that w/the coaching we NOW have along with the fact that our current players are a little more athletic, this years line can be sculpted to be better then what we had back then.

Dont get me wrong - the Hogs were awesome. I think that our line will be alot better this season than anyone expects.

Im just trying to create a FOOTBALL related thread thats all. For the last 6 weeks there has been very few football related threads worth posting in.

I hope folks disagree w/me because that is what make this engine run. If everyone thought the same way we would be living in the most boring world imaginable and this thread would be empty.

Dude, there is no way the '04 OL line is better than '91. IIRC the '91 line set the NFL record for fewest sacks allowed in a season (9).

I do think you could make a case for the '04 RB, Gibbs has never had anyone like Portis...

QB's

'91 = Rypien/Rutledge/Humphries

'04 = Brunell/Ramsey/Hasselbeck

We may have more depth w/ Ramsey, but nobody as hot as Ryp was that year

Big Edge = '91

RB's

'91 = Byner/Riggs/Ervins

'04 = Portis/Betts/Rock/Morton

If Portis' 2 1500+ yds seasons were more than just a product of Denver, than i say

Edge = '04

WR's

'91 = Monk/Clark/Sanders/Hobbs

'04 = Coles/Gardner/Jacobs/Thrash/McCants

Not even close!

Huge advantage = '91

TE's/H-Back

'91 = Middleton/Warren/Jimmie Johnson

'04 = Cooley/Rasby/Sellers

Again, not even close

Huge Edge = '91

OL

'91- Bostic/Lachey/Jacoby/Simmons/Grimm

'04 - Raymer/Jansen/Samuels/Dockery/Thomas

Other than Simmons, you could make a convincing argument for any of those guys to be in the HOF

Huge Edge = '91

Kicker

'91 = Lohmiller

'04 = Hall

Hall may finish with a better career, just as Brunell has already well surpassed Ryp, but for that year Lohmiller was the best in the league.

Edge = '91

Return Men

'91 = B.Mitch

'04 = Morton

Mitchell was far far more dangerous on punt returns. Kickoffs it's a bit closer

Edge = '91

D-Line

'91 = Mann/Stokes/Wilson/Jumpy Geathers/Tim Johnson/Eric Williams

'04 = Griffin/Daniels/Wynn/Noble/Upshaw/Holsey etc...

No contest

Edge = '91

CB's/Secondary

'91 = D.Green/Wilburn/Mayhew/B.Edwards etc...

'04 = Springs/Smoot/S.Taylor/Bowen/Harris/Brown/Bauman etc..

Again, not even close. Besides future HOFer Green, Wilburn led the NFC in INTs that year. Taylor is a rookie, for crying out loud.

Big Edge = '91

LB's

'91 = Marshall/Millen/Coleman

'04 = LaVar/Washington/Barrow

Marshall alone makes this one. Lavar can't hold his jock, at least not yet.

Edge = '91

With Joe Gibbs coaching the 04 team, I'm sure he would somehow keep them in the game. Oh wait, Joe Gibbs is also coaching the 91 team. Boy does it make this one a tuff choice. I'll take any team coached by Joe Gibbs! 82,87,91 they're all great ones if you ask me!

Im just trying to create a FOOTBALL related thread thats all. For the last 6 weeks there has been very few football related threads worth posting in.

And a fun thread it IS, my man. I just disagree about the Hogs. The "Dirtbags" haven't taken a snap together yet. You can't even say that any one of them is even more "talented" than the '91 Hogs, though, because not ONE has ever shown it in the last 2 years. Until they win, they SUCK. Bugel or not.

:2cents:

If the skins win the SB this year Then I'll come back to this thread. Until then 91 skins would dominate.

Comparing one of if not the best redskins team ever to a team that has never taken a snap under its new coach should get you excomunicated from the Redskins community for an hour at least:)

Archived