Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Falcons' first-round picks look like starters

c4man5282

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. (AP) -- DeAngelo Hall and Michael Jenkins didn't need long to move up the Atlanta Falcons' depth chart.

Hall, chosen No. 8 overall in the NFL draft seven weeks ago, has already replaced Tod McBride as the starting left cornerback. Jenkins, whom the Falcons selected 29th overall following a trade with Indianapolis, is expected to push Dez White as the starting wideout.

The first-round draft picks continued to impress coaches and teammates on the second day of a mandatory minicamp Wednesday afternoon. Hall, a standout junior last year at Virginia Tech, intercepted at least two passes in often heavy rain.

"Some guys have great spatial awareness," head coach Jim Mora said. "They know where the guy they're covering is, they know where the quarterback is, they know where the ball is -- they just can't react. He can do all that."

During last month's mini-camp, Jenkins ran routes and separated from defensive backs well enough that coaches decided to give him more snaps. They moved Brian Finneran, listed previously as the No. 1 wideout, to flanker behind starter Peerless Price. Jenkins moved up one spot to second on the depth chart behind White.

"He'll compete for a starting position, but I think it will be tough for him to break in right away," Mora said. "He certainly has the ability to be a starter, but we're real happy with the three guys that are working with him, Peerless, Dez and Finn."

Jenkins and Hall also seem mature beyond their years. Hall, only 20, is polished, articulate, respectful and highly confident of himself. Jenkins missed the first day of minicamp because of a final exam at Ohio State. He is only four classes shy of graduating.

"It's not something that Mike can't make up because he's a very smart kid," Mora said. "He's very conscientious and studies hard, but to get on the field and get the reps, that's especially important for a young guy and it's hard to make up."

If Jenkins impressed coaches as they watched tape of the previous mini-camp, Hall stood out even more. His speed -- he claims to have run the 40-yard dash in 4.31 seconds -- is exceptional. Hall compensates for small size (5-foot-10) with a 41-inch vertical leap.

Knocking down passes intended for the 6-5 Finneran or the 6-4 Jenkins might impress some onlookers, but not Hall.

"This is all new to me, but I can't really say I'm surprised by anything I've seen in the just the few weeks I've been with the team," Hall said. "I've been preparing for this most of my life, to be a professional football player."

Defensive end Patrick Kerney, a five-year veteran, is delighted to have a teammate like Hall. The Falcons, coming off a 5-11 season, allowed a franchise-worst 6,108 yards and finished with the NFL's worst pass defense.

"DeAngelo Hall has shown a lot of stuff early," Kerney said. "He's shown a lot of talent, a big eye for the ball and hes going to be a heck of a player."

Hall will replace Juran Bolden, who signed with Jacksonville. Jason Webster, signed from San Francisco, starts at right cornerback.

Notes: TE Alge Crumpler did not practice after falling in the locker room Tuesday and cutting his right hand. Crumpler has seven, not two as Mora suggested, stitches in his palm. ... Because most teams carry only five receivers on their 53-man roster, just one player, from a group consisting of former Georgia star Terrence Edwards, Jimmy Farris and former Clemson standout Woodrow Dantzler, will make the final cut. ... McBride, who joined the team as a free agent from Green Bay last year, is better suited for spot duty in nickel and dime coverage. ... RCB Aaron Beasley, who signed as a free agent from the New York Jets, is listed behind Webster and Derek Ross at his position. ... As expected, DT Ellis Johnson missed his second sconsecutive minicamp. Mora knew Johnson, who apparently wants a richer contract, would not attend.

Copyright 2004 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/football/nfl/06/09/bc.fbn.falcons.hall.jenkins.ap/index.html

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. (AP) -- DeAngelo Hall and Michael Jenkins didn't need long to move up the Atlanta Falcons' depth chart.

Hall, chosen No. 8 overall in the NFL draft seven weeks ago, has already replaced Tod McBride as the starting left cornerback. Jenkins, whom the Falcons selected 29th overall following a trade with Indianapolis, is expected to push Dez White as the starting wideout.

The first-round draft picks continued to impress coaches and teammates on the second day of a mandatory minicamp Wednesday afternoon. Hall, a standout junior last year at Virginia Tech, intercepted at least two passes in often heavy rain.

"Some guys have great spatial awareness," head coach Jim Mora said. "They know where the guy they're covering is, they know where the quarterback is, they know where the ball is -- they just can't react. He can do all that."

During last month's mini-camp, Jenkins ran routes and separated from defensive backs well enough that coaches decided to give him more snaps. They moved Brian Finneran, listed previously as the No. 1 wideout, to flanker behind starter Peerless Price. Jenkins moved up one spot to second on the depth chart behind White.

"He'll compete for a starting position, but I think it will be tough for him to break in right away," Mora said. "He certainly has the ability to be a starter, but we're real happy with the three guys that are working with him, Peerless, Dez and Finn."

Jenkins and Hall also seem mature beyond their years. Hall, only 20, is polished, articulate, respectful and highly confident of himself. Jenkins missed the first day of minicamp because of a final exam at Ohio State. He is only four classes shy of graduating.

"It's not something that Mike can't make up because he's a very smart kid," Mora said. "He's very conscientious and studies hard, but to get on the field and get the reps, that's especially important for a young guy and it's hard to make up."

If Jenkins impressed coaches as they watched tape of the previous mini-camp, Hall stood out even more. His speed -- he claims to have run the 40-yard dash in 4.31 seconds -- is exceptional. Hall compensates for small size (5-foot-10) with a 41-inch vertical leap.

Knocking down passes intended for the 6-5 Finneran or the 6-4 Jenkins might impress some onlookers, but not Hall.

"This is all new to me, but I can't really say I'm surprised by anything I've seen in the just the few weeks I've been with the team," Hall said. "I've been preparing for this most of my life, to be a professional football player."

Defensive end Patrick Kerney, a five-year veteran, is delighted to have a teammate like Hall. The Falcons, coming off a 5-11 season, allowed a franchise-worst 6,108 yards and finished with the NFL's worst pass defense.

"DeAngelo Hall has shown a lot of stuff early," Kerney said. "He's shown a lot of talent, a big eye for the ball and hes going to be a heck of a player."

Hall will replace Juran Bolden, who signed with Jacksonville. Jason Webster, signed from San Francisco, starts at right cornerback.

Notes: TE Alge Crumpler did not practice after falling in the locker room Tuesday and cutting his right hand. Crumpler has seven, not two as Mora suggested, stitches in his palm. ... Because most teams carry only five receivers on their 53-man roster, just one player, from a group consisting of former Georgia star Terrence Edwards, Jimmy Farris and former Clemson standout Woodrow Dantzler, will make the final cut. ... McBride, who joined the team as a free agent from Green Bay last year, is better suited for spot duty in nickel and dime coverage. ... RCB Aaron Beasley, who signed as a free agent from the New York Jets, is listed behind Webster and Derek Ross at his position. ... As expected, DT Ellis Johnson missed his second sconsecutive minicamp. Mora knew Johnson, who apparently wants a richer contract, would not attend.

Copyright 2004 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/football/nfl/06/09/bc.fbn.falcons.hall.jenkins.ap/index.html

Having watched DeAngelo's career at Tech pretty closely, I have to admit I have my doubts about his living up to top 10 pick expectations. The man is a very gifted athlete, no question, but he gets lost in coverage badly from time to time, and seems to have made his name at least as much from being a slippery punt returner as anything else.

I give him big credit for his pre-draft rise up through the ranks due to great individual speed and agility drills and all ... but if I had to predict today, I'd say he's going to end up disappointing a lot of Altanta fans who think they've gotten the next Deion, or even the next Champ. I just don't think he's that kind of guy.

Now ... let's move this to FedEx, where it belongs. :)

Something I believe Champ Bailey lacked.... one of the few weaknesses he had that resulted in big plays, TDs deep and 3rd down conversions.

I agree with you OM. Last week I was talking to a former Tech football player, that played on the team last year, that basically said the same thing. He said Hall was very fast, but didn't have great coverage skills. He also said Hall has an attitude problem and is all about himself. He attributed a reason for Tech's loses last season to Hall being about himself and not about the team.

'

D. Hall is a party animal... and that my friend will take a toll on his on field production... he is likely to blow assignments... will gamble a lot trying to make players...hence teams will be setting him up for some big plays... he thinks it is a hitch route...boom it is a stop and go...

Hall stood out even more. His speed -- he claims to have run the 40-yard dash in 4.31 seconds -- is exceptional. Hall compensates for small size (5-foot-10) with a 41-inch vertical leap.

Does this sound like anyone we remember ? (Hint hint....#28). Hall is the real deal and is going to be a very good NFL CB. Just my :2cents:

Originally posted by SKINtil8tin

Definitely think he'll make a bigger impact on his team than his VT teammate Kevin Jones will make on his (initially).

I have to disagree because you wrote "impact." Jones plays for Detroit, which hasn't had a running game since Sanders. Compared to the lack luster band of busts that have run through that city Jones is a monster. If he only has a ok not so bad year, it will be an HUGE upgrade over what they are used to.

Hall on the other hand is going to Atlanta that while they may not have had amazing DB's as of late, they haven't had a drought to match Detroits lack of a running game.

As for me I think both of these players will be good, not great. Hall is a loud mouth speedster that will make mistakes, skilled or not he's a rookie and they will put him against the opposing teams #1 a few times and that's never easy. Jones is a back that has out of the park potential and will be helped in his rookie year by a good head coach and two wideouts that at the very least will force the safeties to drop back in coverage.

Having watched Virginia Tech football for quite some time, I must agree with Om. Hall will be a huge bust. He was a bust at VT, missing assignments, blowing coverage etc, and he will be a even bigger bust in the NFL.

I'm not quite sure what scouts were looking at when they graded Hall so highly besides his low 40 time. There is no questioning Hall's speed or punt return skills, but as a CB he is quite subpar.

Originally posted by Skeletor The Invincible

Having watched Virginia Tech football for quite some time, I must agree with Om. Hall will be a huge bust. He was a bust at VT, missing assignments, blowing coverage etc, and he will be a even bigger bust in the NFL.

I'm not quite sure what scouts were looking at when they graded Hall so highly besides his low 40 time. There is no questioning Hall's speed or punt return skills, but as a CB he is quite subpar.

Sounds like a defensive version of Desmond Howard.

Listen to a Falcons season ticket holder... Hey I know what you're thinking, I goto school down there, and season tickets for great seats run for about 200, almost the cost of a single ticket to Fedex@! Not to mention Vick... Anyway, Blank is pretty obsessed with speed, and speed, and then playmaking ability, kinda like Arty for the Raiders. And they really miss a defensive "playmaker," a la a Deion way back when. So, as long as Hall makes a few picks and brings excitement on the return game, the Falcons won't mind him joining a porous defense to start with.

whoa, you saying season tickets for falcons games are 200$? Granted FedEx charges a lot, but it cant be that much over the Falcons or other teams.

I do agree with all of you who say Hall is a forseeable bust. He is just gonna be an average qb at best, a guy people will wanna sign(I wouldnt mind having him behind Smoot and Springs) but I dont think he is really gonna live up to pick expectations. He may be similar to Darrel as some of you have said, but this guy can never be Darrel, no matter what other posters or reviews ive read have said. Plus, if he has an attitude problem, definitely not Darrel then, Green is a classic example of team loyalty and hard work ethic. Whatever happens, I think Kevin Jones may be a starting tailback for a long while, but will go down at the typical running back age of 30 or slightly earlier.

Archived