Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Larry Bird - "NBA 'black man's game'"

KTrainSkinsFan

Originally posted by chomerics

I received a pamphlet on famous Jewish sports heros for some light reading once ;)

Heh heh. Classic. :)

According to the site, the only Jewish starters currently in the NFL are Jay Feidler and Lennie Friedman. Now I know who I'm rooting for to win the starting job. :silly:

Originally posted by turdfurguson

Interesting that "Affirmative action" is absent in the sports world. Each team brings in the "best" employees reguardless of race. Nobody is given special treatment based on race. What are the percentages of white to black players? 80-20 or 70-30? Yet outside businesses must abide by affirmative action. They must have a certian number of blacks, whites, women ect... Minorities get breaks on job entrance tests and other benifits. Too bad corperate America can't hire the best like the NBA or NFL....

And why is that? Are you ignorant of history or do you choose to bury your head in the sand?

Do you think that without affirmative action corporate America will hire the most qualified without regard to sex, race or national origin? Open your eyes.

It's easy to believe there is no problem when you or people close to you have never been victims because of sex, race or national origin.

Affirmative action is an unfortunate necessity. Hopefully, a day will come when it is no longer needed.

i think the the nba should have more white stars, not because they are white, but i think the decline in white stars is because basketball has regressed if you will into less of a cerebral game. when bball was a team game, an unselfish fundamental game white players were everywhere, but in the modern era it has turned into a one on one me me me game. and that is why the league is prodominantly black. bird is right, the best basketball athlete's in the world are african american. it is a league that doesn't not focus on skill and fundamentals but athleticism and potential. thus the influx of great H.S. "athletes" but poor H.S. Bball players. it is killing the game. it is the only game like this. imagine if the nfl was like the NBA Trung Candidate would have been the #1 pick. but as we all know its the intangables and not the 40 times that make a great player. so the league does need more white stars, because the league would most definitely find them if it progressed back into a team game. hopefully the pistons can prove that teams are better then stars and start the trend. my two cents.

Originally posted by nfchamp1

And why is that? Are you ignorant of history or do you choose to bury your head in the sand?

Do you think that without affirmative action corporate America will hire the most qualified without regard to sex, race or national origin? Open your eyes.

It's easy to believe there is no problem when you or people close to you have never been victims because of sex, race or national origin.

Affirmative action is an unfortunate necessity. Hopefully, a day will come when it is no longer needed.

I was having fun. . . :(

Unfortunately, I agree with NFC. I've seen it in corporate America first hand and it pisses me off to no end.

Originally posted by earl

i think the the nba should have more white stars, not because they are white, but i think the decline in white stars is because basketball has regressed if you will into less of a cerebral game. when bball was a team game, an unselfish fundamental game white players were everywhere, but in the modern era it has turned into a one on one me me me game. and that is why the league is prodominantly black. bird is right, the best basketball athlete's in the world are african american. it is a league that doesn't not focus on skill and fundamentals but athleticism and potential. thus the influx of great H.S. "athletes" but poor H.S. Bball players. it is killing the game. it is the only game like this. imagine if the nfl was like the NBA Trung Candidate would have been the #1 pick. but as we all know its the intangables and not the 40 times that make a great player. so the league does need more white stars, because the league would most definitely find them if it progressed back into a team game. hopefully the pistons can prove that teams are better then stars and start the trend. my two cents.

Earl, you're generalizing NBA players into two groups. White team players and black selfish players. I don't know if you ment for the post to come across as prejudice, but to me it did.

The NBA evolved because of Jordan, not because of black players:doh:

The best players in the NBA just happen to be black, what do you want them to do, change their color?:doh:

Your logic here seems to imply that "modern" players on a team would lose to the "cerebral" players of the past (I'll leave aside any implications of how you characterize these players) in a game. I'm going to out on a limb and say no way. The players of today do play as a team frequently, it seems popular to say that they don't and talk about their athleticism. A group of strong athletes playing as a team is better than a group of "lesser" athletes playing as a team.

I see...

So black players are selfish and dumb while white players are selfless and cerebral. Hmm, let me check...nope, no racisim there.

Kevin Garnett, league MVP, African-American, Selfish? Non-Cerebral?

Do you think that these "cerebral" teams from the past would kick, say, the Lakers asses?

I don't care how many "cerebral" players you have on a team when it comes down to it, one-on-one athletic matchups are going to be very telling. You say, "one-on-one" is terrible but everyone knows that creating favorable one-on-one matchups on offense is a goal for any good basketball strategist.

The comments you made don't make sense. I think they are a product of the old "everything was better back in my day" mentality. The truth is, the "selfish" and "non-cerebral" current Lakers squad would probably beat or play close with any other team you can think of all time.

I love how this is such a big deal when white men say there aren't enough white men. But black guys have been preaching for years about how there aren't enough black coaches/quarterbacks/pitchers in [insert any sport here].

first i'm sorry if i came off racist to anyone. i don't consider myself racist and I don't think i said anything to offend or be-rate or stereotype any race. never did i say or mean to imply that black players are selfish and white people are selfless non-athletes. sorry if that wasn't clear. there are many cerebral black bball players and selfish dumb white players. my point was the game as a whole, black and white, has moved away from the cerebral and unevenly towards the athletic; to the point where you would pass on a 4th year senior like tayshaun prince(black) for an "athletic" young kid with potential. that was my only point.

that being said i agree with bird's statement that all the best (bball)athlete's are black. if that's racist then maybe i am. but if bird is saying the best athlete's are black, and i'm saying the nba cares more about athlete's then bball IQ then its safe for me to conclude that the league lacks white stars (which bird was referring to) because the over-emphasis on athletic potential.

I agree with Larry and if people have a problem with his answers stop questioning him on the subject.

And we do need White american superstar basketball players.

The best white b ball player is Dirk Norvitski and he's german

Babsketball is a blackman's sport just like Yachting is a rich mans sport and soccer is a (Well its watch paint dry or this) sport

Originally posted by NavyDave

Babsketball is a blackman's sport just like Yachting is a rich mans sport and soccer is a (Well its watch paint dry or this) sport

There is no such thing as a white mans or a black mans sport, it'a all complete BS. It has to do with demographics, urban sociology and culture.

The reason there are a lot of black ball players isn't because of their "superior athletic ability", It's because their culture has basketball at the roots. Go to any urban neighborhood and tell me how many basketball courts you see. Now tell mehow many golf courses or hockey rinks you see. It has to do more with socio-economical demographics and culture than ability.

It's the amount of time you practice playing the game which makes players, not the color of their skin. How many southerners do you see playing hockey? I'm not talking black or white, but when was the last time you saw a redneck on skates? You haven't because it isn't part of the culture. It's just the same as how basketball isn't as much as a part of the white culture anymore. It's more hip hop orientated with a focus on the urban black male.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, all I'm stating is their demographic. The NBA used to be about middle class America, but it isn't any more. It's all about da' Benjamins anf da' bling bling. Hip hop culture intermingling with basketball and the urban black male.

Archived