Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Larry Bird - "NBA 'black man's game'"

KTrainSkinsFan

Originally posted by turdfurguson

Interesting that "Affirmative action" is absent in the sports world. Each team brings in the "best" employees reguardless of race. Nobody is given special treatment based on race. What are the percentages of white to black players? 80-20 or 70-30? Yet outside businesses must abide by affirmative action. They must have a certian number of blacks, whites, women ect... Minorities get breaks on job entrance tests and other benifits. Too bad corperate America can't hire the best like the NBA or NFL....

It's a private entertainment business. It's the same reason you don't have to sit in pervert row and watch a 500 lb stripper.

Edit: I worked in corporate America for a large engineering firm. (hint: Google my name) I was responsible for hiring design engineers at job fairs and what not. The head of Human Resources (who has since retired) had the audacity to tell me "don't take the resume's of the forign kids." Her words EXACTLY!!! You see, the company was a sales driven company that was concerned about image, more then the best person for the job. Unfortunately, corporate America is still prejudiced, and from what I see it's still pretty prevelant.

I also see the bad side of Affirmitive Action where there are people who get overlooked just because they're white.

My advice, don't try to fight the system, work within it and use it to your advantage. Just make sure you don't work for a company where the pendulum is on the opposite side as you.

Interesting that "Affirmative action" is absent in the sports world. Each team brings in the "best" employees reguardless of race. Nobody is given special treatment based on race. What are the percentages of white to black players? 80-20 or 70-30? Yet outside businesses must abide by affirmative action. They must have a certian number of blacks, whites, women ect... Minorities get breaks on job entrance tests and other benifits. Too bad corperate America can't hire the best like the NBA or NFL....

If corporate America were played head-to-head on a field, it would be stupid for anybody to implement affirmative action.

That's not how the real world works though - if you're a company that doesn't have any black employees, you're not going to have a lot of black customers. That's part of what Bird is trying to say here. If you're trying to field the best team for winning games, you would never consider race, but if you define winning by how much money you make, a whole lot of things start to matter.

Keep in mind that there is no law anywhere that says private companies or universities must abide by affirmative action. They do it by choice.

turd, are you saying that in businesses in which white males are disproportionately represented, it's because those white males are intrisically better in that field than a minority or woman would be?

Originally posted by chomerics

Kobe is nowhere NEAR where Jordan was when he left for baseball!!! Kobe's not even as good as Jordan was in his second season!!!

In 86' against arguably one of the best teams of all time, the Celtics, Jordan single handedly forced the NBA champions into double overtime with an astonishing 63 points. This is without ANYONE on his team. Remember, it was Jordan and NOBODY and the Bulls usually won. This is also after he missed almost the entire season with a broken foot.

If you want to compare him to somebody, compare him to Magic, but he was definately no Jordan.

Boy oh Boy, I never thought I would see this day, but chomeric's I agree with you 100%!

The difference between Kobe and Jordan is this, Jordan would have never let that game the other night, get to over time! Jordan was an unstoppable force when the outcome was undeiceded, he decieded it!

Most bsketball fan's are white? At least the one's that actually attend the games, most of the player's are black, right? At least the star's, it doesn't seem to me that white america need's a white super star, they do just fine rooting for the black player's, but from an NBA stand point, maybe they think they can create a rivalry, ala bird and magic, and really market thing's for a whole lot of money, and when they say white, they should mean white american's, because peja and dirk are white boy's who can really play, my philosophy in sport's is the same in life, may the best man win, I don't want to see a more talented black player sitting on the bench, because someone want's to hype a white player, and vise versa, END OF STORY!

Being a member of the most hated club in the world, a white american male, I can tell you that of course white people would be excited if some honky walked on the court and broke Baron Davis ankles and gorilla dunked on Mashburns face. Just like black people we're excited to see Tiger Woods whip a bunch of old rich fat white ****s in a skill. (To me golf may be fun but's it's the same as darts.)

I'm not a big NBA fan but I have a close friend who lives in Sacramento so I watch a lot of Kings games. I love Brad Miller because he's a white boy with some game but honestly I just admire anybody who can play defense, box out and score.

They could have some 7footer with a turban but if he can slap a Kobe shot 17 rows into the stands then thats my Dog. Dog...Dawg...hold on let me get my eubonics dictionary.:D

Well for all you non-believers and fans who still drool over MJ. Why don't you listen to people that know a little more then all of us. When fellow teamates are now saying that Kobe and Jordan are identical like Horace Grant and one of the biggest MJ fans of all time and actually covered the game, Michael Wilbon agree now.

Wilbon talked about it on PTI and felt bad for saying it, because of his love for Jordan.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A26854-2004Jun9.html

And then the big stars did what big stars are supposed to do: Shaq scored a basket and made the foul shot, and Bryant dribbled left, rose over Rip Hamilton and drained a three to tie the game and take it into overtime. I'm loathe to say it, and for somebody in his forties it's close to blaspheme, but Michael Jordan rarely delivered any better than Kobe did in Game 2.

Originally posted by jbooma

Well for all you non-believers and fans who still drool over MJ. Why don't you listen to people that know a little more then all of us. When fellow teamates are now saying that Kobe and Jordan are identical like Horace Grant and one of the biggest MJ fans of all time and actually covered the game, Michael Wilbon agree now.

Wilbon talked about it on PTI and felt bad for saying it, because of his love for Jordan.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A26854-2004Jun9.html

How about you get off Kobe's dick, and check the stats. Numbers don't lie. Jordan shot 10% better, and averaged 10 more ppg than Kobe at 25. Jordan also was able to maintain that same level of dominance in the postseason, while Kobe's FG% drops. Also, his FG% has dropped each of the last 3-4 seasons.

Originally posted by Mufumonk

How about you get off Kobe's dick

Why don't you STFU :)

Personally I like MJ better if you must know. Just when I hear from players that played with both of them and writers that covered them, I tend to listen to them a little more then someone whining like you :D

You and bubba should go have some stats love, stats don't mean everything :doh:

Why don't you STFU :)

Personally I like MJ better if you must know. Just when I hear from players that played with both of them and writers that covered them, I tend to listen to them a little more then someone whining like you :D

You and bubba should go have some stats love, stats don't mean everything :doh:

No, but the intangibles do. Let me see Kobe win a few rings with the Clippers, without Shaq.

No, but the intangibles do. Let me see Kobe win a few rings with the Clippers, without Shaq.

So you are not given any credit to the fact that he has played up to his normal level with everything else going on this year??

The kid is amazing and he is only 25, yes shaq is a help but Jordan had great players with him too.

If you notice it is Kobe that plays above everyone else when they have to win.

So you are not given any credit to the fact that he has played up to his normal level with everything else going on this year??

The kid is amazing and he is only 25, yes shaq is a help but Jordan had great players with him too.

If you notice it is Kobe that plays above everyone else when they have to win.

He's very good, yes. But I tire of the comparisons to Jordan. Jordan did so much more for the Bulls than Kobe does for the Lakers. Jordan made the guys around him better. You can't say the same for Kobe. Jordan wasn't so much of a "me-first" player that the rest of the guys were lost in the shuffle. He made sure they got involved. Also, look at all that Jordan did WITHOUT a dominant center. That's a pivotal part of the Triangle Offense, and Jordan made it work without that key piece. Kobe doesn't have a fraction of the discipline or heart that Jordan had at any point in his career.

He's very good, yes. But I tire of the comparisons to Jordan. Jordan did so much more for the Bulls than Kobe does for the Lakers.

I agree but he is only 25 and who knows what he is going to do before he retires. Jordan didn't win to he was what 28? Of course there are going to be comparisons.

any white guy that breaks out in the nba is going to automatically be called white chocolate or something anyway....

i'll settle for all-pro's that set the example, no matter what their skin color is....Darrell Green, David Robinson, Tim Duncan, Monte Coleman, Art Monk....all hero's to me......

the ultimate respect goes to those that earn it on and off the court/field.

Man, this thread has taken off over night...

Regarding the Kobe / MJ debate, I think it would be more fair to compare them by how long they have has been in the league, not age. Yes, Kobe is only 25. But this is what, his sixth or seventh season?

Also, the quality of the competition MJ faced back in the day was light years better imo. Those Lakers, Celtics, and Pistons teams of the late / early 90's were awesome.

Originally posted by monkey66

Man, this thread has taken off over night...

Also, the quality of the competition MJ faced back in the day was light years better imo. Those Lakers, Celtics, and Pistons teams of the late / early 90's were awesome.

No Monkey, those Laker/Celt teams of the early to mid 80s were light years ahead of anything in the past, present and foreseeable future.

They would have cooked the Bulls. Yeah, Mike would have got his 48 points on 42% FG shooting, but way too many matchup problems the Lakers and Celts present. Scottie was a softie until the refs allowed that BS "free flowing type game" Stern and the TV execs wanted. I remember X McDaniel intimidated the heck out of Scottie in the playoffs one year - after that - pretty ball was the new way it was ref'd.

Playoff ball was much more physical in the 80s. You couldn’t D Jordan because the refs treated him like a sweetie. When LA played Boston, at times it became a SCRUM. Clotheslining of Rambis - 2 shot foul - keep playing. If that would have happened to Scottie or MJ, there would have been arrest warrants.

Originally posted by codeorama

No, not him, there was some High school kid that wore one of those beenie things on his head when he played. He was supposed to be so great, but I haven't heard anything about him in years.

The big debate was about him going to Maryland and I don't think he did.

It is showing the younger generations don't look at each other as white, black, hispanic, etc... instead the look at each as other as friends or people.

Once we can get rid of all the old boy networks in corporate america then this place will be a much enjoyable one :cheers:

AMEN to that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by roofgoat

No Monkey, those Laker/Celt teams of the early to mid 80s were light years ahead of anything in the past, present and foreseeable future.

They would have cooked the Bulls. Yeah, Mike would have got his 48 points on 42% FG shooting, but way too many matchup problems the Lakers and Celts present. Scottie was a softie until the refs allowed that BS "free flowing type game" Stern and the TV execs wanted. I remember X McDaniel intimidated the heck out of Scottie in the playoffs one year - after that - pretty ball was the new way it was ref'd.

Playoff ball was much more physical in the 80s. You couldn’t D Jordan because the refs treated him like a sweetie. When LA played Boston, at times it became a SCRUM. Clotheslining of Rambis - 2 shot foul - keep playing. If that would have happened to Scottie or MJ, there would have been arrest warrants.

I agree, but I'm a Celtics homer. I think the Celtics and Lakers of the 80's were the best teams in NBA history. If you ever wanted a passing and fundamentals clinic, watch an old tape from 84-86 of a Celtics/Lakers game. Personally, I think it had to do with team ball instead of individual achievement. . . which reminds me of a speech

Capone: A man becomes preeminent,|he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Everyone: Enthusiasms... Enthusiasms...

Capone: What are mine?

What draws my admiration?|What is that which gives me joy?

Gangsters: - Dames!|- Boozin'!

Capone: Baseball!

A man...

A man stands alone at the plate.

This is the time for what?

For individual achievement.

There he stands alone.

But in the field, what?

Part of a team.

Teamwork...

Looks, throws, catches, hustles.|Part of one big team.

Bats himself the live-long day,|Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, and so on.

If his team don't field...what is he?

You follow me?

No one.

Sunny day, the stands are full|of fans. What does he have to say?

I'm goin' out there for myself.

But...l get nowhere|unless the team wins.

Team!|- Team.

(hits him in the head with the bat. . .)

Gangsters: Jesus Christ!

And now for something completely different. . .

Anyone interested in a list of Jewish sports heroes can find them at jewhoo.com. Here's what it had to say about Tamir Goodman:

Basketball

# Tamir Goodman - Goodman was a media sensation in 1999. He was billed as "the Jewish Jordan". He is an Orthodox Jewish kid who was (then) playing basketball for a Maryland Jewish religious school. He was all set to go to the University of Maryland. However, he declined to go there because it became apparent that the University could not easily honor his need not to play or practice on the Sabbath. He went, instead, to Towson State, Maryland. Unfortunately, it does not appear that his early promise will be fulfilled. He only grew to 6'3 and he certainly has not been a dominant player in college ball. It doesn't look like we will see a guy wearing a yalmulke in the NBA. Update August 2002: Goodman was signed to a three year contract play for Maccabi Tel Aviv, the best team in Israel. He will probably be loaned out to another team on a temporary basis. David Bluthenthal (above) was also signed by Maccabi Tel Aviv.

Archived