Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Coles' injury getting worse???

cscmtp

I read today on ffmastermind's daily quick bits that Coles is still having problems with his toe. I don't know if they are just reporting old news we already know, or is this situation getting worse. Does anyone know if he's been practicing? Is he limping? I am starting to get worried!!

There was a thread some months ago about Cole's injury and turf toe. I sort of pooh-poohed the idea that the thing could be career threatening, but others insisted that turf toe could be very debilitating in a lot of cases, and get progressively worse. I thought they were wrong then, but now I merely HOPE they're wrong.

:doh: I dont now if its getting worse, but its not getting better the way it sounds. He should have been pulled the last 2 games last year and had surgery. Coles wasn't half the reciever he was after the toe(still gave his all and great team guy but was getting caught from behind and the big numbers came down a bit)

I don't think turf toe would end his career but it definitely could be a problem the rest of his career. I'm sure he doesn't just sit and rest during the offseason. And as soon as training camp starts and he starts with his football movement, the soreness will come back by the time the preseason games start. But it shouldn't end his career.

I believe that his injury is more than just turf toe. I remember hearing something about a stress fracture. Having gone through several stress fracture in my tibias, they're no fun and can develop into some major problems if not allowed to heal properly.

I remember hearing this somewhere, I’m afraid it may have been from John Madden. In the NFL, any injury below the ankle was called turf-toe, and any injury below the knee was a high ankle sprain. I have to admit that I have seen that trend too.

This injury can be debilitating. Let's not kid ourselves, we may end up using James Thrash more than expected in 2004, Taylor Jacobs as well.

We have made the investment in draft picks at the position and should have more than adequate depth there for the season if Coles is in and out of the lineup.

Of course, long-term it is a concern. His status as a top receiver and his cap hit are major concerns if the injury lingers past 2004.

Sanders had the toe surgery, but IMO was already too far beyond his prime at 33 for us to see if he could have come all the way back.

Coles at 26 is a more compelling case. I think if he has the surgery after the season he WILL be able to come back at near 100% given some time.

Originally posted by rhyno

I think on redskins.com they said he is on a special trainging regimine that will put minimal impact on his toe while maintaining intensity..

Yep, Gibbs mentioned the same thing in a couple of interviews. It's not over but the prognosis is good :laugh:

As long as he and Ramsey heal 100% we should be good :cool:

Sanders had turf toe. It's my understanding that actually finding out that is is indeed turf toe is the hardest part of the whole situation. Since Deon was diagnosed with it the doctors have a greater understanding of what it really is. They treat it was differently now since the days of Deon having it. I know they tape if differently and alter the athlete's shoe. Coles is a baller and he is highly dedicated to the game of football. If the doctors told him to rest it all off-season, you better believe that's what he did. I don't think it's something to overly concern yourself with.

again, James Thrash's return to Washington may have more meaning down the road than most thought at the time he was signed.

I can easily imagine a scenario where he wins a game or two for us in 2004 as a receiver or as a return man making big plays.

Thrash is not a 100 catch receiver in the class of the best in the conference and it was stupid of Reid to put him out there in that role over 16 weeks.

But he is a guy that had a knack for coming up with positive plays when he was here the first time and one would think Gibbs and Co. will only increase his opportunities here, especially if Coles is dinged or Gardner is his usual inconsistent self.

What bulldog say said, I agree on Thrash.

I also noted we have the same scenarios with our D Line. It isn't Ted Washington, Sam Adams, or Daryl Gardner, but it won't roll over and die!

Archived