Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Assuming he is injury free how long will Brunell play here?

NoCalMike

I ask this because, I wonder how many seasons Ramsey will be content to sit on the bench. If Brunell beats him out in camp this season, and that is a big IF, then I would assume going into next season and the next season, that Brunell would have the job unless he really f's up. I don't think Ramsey will mind being beaten by the better man, THIS SEASON, but I also find it very unrealistic for Ramsey to be expecting and preparing to be 2nd string for another 2-3 seasons. :helmet:

I can't see Brunell staying around 2-3 seasons unless he stays extremely healthy. That being said, I think a healthy Brunell means an effecient Brunell with veteran experience which Gibbs loves. I don't mean to disrespect Ramsey in any way, but why would Gibbs need to give him a shot if he has a veteran & effecient QB leading the team to victory. That being said, I really hope Ramsey wins the job and leads us to many Super Bowls.

Looking at his cap hits I believe they expect him to play in 04 and 05 and since he doesn't have a roster bonus in 06 they probably plan to cut him after 6/1 of 06 and take a 4.5M dead player hit in 07. His salary jumps to 4M in 06 so it's extremely unlikely he will see that money at the age of 36.

Definitely will be gone within or after 3 seasons, no more, mayhaps less. Ramsey's contract expires in 2006 also I believe, but Im sure he will restructure and will prolly start next season if not this.

If Brunell would accept being Ramsey's backup maybe 5 or 6 years

I would take MARK BRUNELL as a "head set QB" for the whole contract. And beyond, if he's willing to take less after. No better man for the job in my opinion. I don't think he'll make it more than 8 games as our starter (due to injury most likely), but he may have us at 6-2 by then. Great quarterback. Great guy to bring some level-headedness to a changing team while we move into Ramsey for the duration.

:point2sky

(edit)- Hobo: "Mayhaps"!! NICE!

Some observations/predictions:

Ramsey will start at least one game this year. Even if Brunell's #1 on the depth chart the whole year, he's not likely to start all 16 (or, hopefully, 18 or so) games.

And, I'll agree with bubba et al, Brunell could be a usefull clipboard holder for years beyond that. (To Mark: It's not as glamorous as starting for, say, Cleveland, but three years of backup pay works out better for tax purposes than one year of starter pay.)

Originally posted by akrpsu

I can't see Brunell staying around 2-3 seasons unless he stays extremely healthy. That being said, I think a healthy Brunell means an effecient Brunell with veteran experience which Gibbs loves. I don't mean to disrespect Ramsey in any way, but why would Gibbs need to give him a shot if he has a veteran & effecient QB leading the team to victory. That being said, I really hope Ramsey wins the job and leads us to many Super Bowls.

If Ramsey wins the job then signing Brunell for that money and 3rd rd. compensation was dumb to me.

If Brunell beats out Ramsey and plays 16 games, you can wave bye bye to Ramsey

I disagree with that entirely. Ramsey is here to be our long-term QB. The thought process MUST be for Ramsey to pick up whatever he can from Brunell and then take over after 2 years or so.

I would see Brunell starting for a couple years and then maybe staying aboard as a backup for one....

:point2sky

After looking his contract over, I'd say he plays here in 2004, 2005 and 2006. He's not getting released in the next two years, it's not financialy feasable cap-wise. From there it gets interesting. In 2006 He's gonna make 5.23 million, if we cut him it costs us 5.84 million. I can't see the team doing this as we save nothing on the cap and create a whole at QB or back-up QB. In 2007 the story is different, keeping around is gonna cost 6.46 mil and releasing him will count 4.61 mil. If we let him go we get a 1.85 million dollar relief on the cap for that season. Additionally he'll be three years older and Pat Ramsey will understand the offense (nomenclature, routes, blocking schemes) very well by that point as well. I think Brunnell will probably start most of this season and be around next year as a security blanket against Pat struggling too much, in 2006 he'll most likely be a veteran clipboard holder and a guy that can give Ramsey a word of advise every now and then between offensive series. 2007 he'll be floating around in his pool making interest on the money earned from his time as an NFL QB. Not a bad investment for Brunnell or the Skins in my thinking.

Archived