Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How Complicated will the defense be?

Angus

How complicated will Greg Williams' defense be? At least one of your new secondary people (Taylor) had a very low Wonderlic score. I don't know if that translates at all in football terms, but I guess it is significant or they wouldn't give the tests. Will the defense have to be dumbed down at all for that reason? There is no question Taylor has the physical skills to succeed, but the NFL is more mentally demanding than the college game.

Guest SkinsHokie Fan

Its not always about the wonderlick score. As Gibbs has said its about football smarts and being able to translate a playbook and see it on the field.

The coaching staff saw something in Sean Taylor that tells them he can translate a game plan from the overheard onto the field. A lot of people can get high wonderlic scores but wont have a clue what is going on on the field. And other people are total dunces in the class room but once they get on the gridiron they know what is going on.

Sean Taylor from what he has demonstrated so far in his athletic career has a great feel for what is going on on the field. And the wonderlic in my opinion is a very poor predictor of football smarts.

From what the "experts" say, this is a very complex system. With varying schemes. Williams will adjust the system to fit the players. I just hope the defense plays unselfish. I can't wait to see Williams version of the 46. I don't know if that's ever been done with success in Washington.

Williams will expect more versatility out of his players. We will see more formations. But, if we keep aggessive and play down hill, and if we can dictate through that aggressivness. Then I believe the defense will be prove to be easier for the players to execute.

Taylor's wonderlic is something I had wondered about as well. Gibbs made some pretty positive comments about him though. Also Cooley had a very good wonderlic score among other things.

I think Taylor's demonstration of ability on the field and his interest in self-improvement must be overriding that concern. And in Cooley's case his production was excellent, but perhaps the mental intangibles he offers weighs more against any physical liablility he may have.

Pardon my digression from your original question:)

Originally posted by SkinsHokie Fan

Its not always about the wonderlick score. As Gibbs has said its about football smarts and being able to translate a playbook and see it on the field.

Exactly. Didn't Marino have a terrible Wonderlic? And by the way, have you ever looked at a Wonderlic test? It ain't exactly a walk in the park. So much of football is instincts and athletic ability, it's hard to make a case that your performance on a standardized test really translates onto the field. I doubt there's much correlation between great players and high Wonderlic scorers.

Williams runs typically complex defenses. But, according to Williams, the defenses he runs now are drastically simple due to free agency and the turnover that requires it. Williams will alter looks and personnel packages, which will be complex, but, he will define roles on any given play based on the call and keys he outlines so, in that way it will be simple.

I think given Williams believes in playing something on every down, it will make the job more simple to pick up since players will essentially be told where to go based on what he calls.

Williams also increases package sizes to suit a given offense with the ability to revert back to standards, 3-4 if necessary, and 4-6-1. He reminds me of Buddy Ryan's and Richie Pettibone's ability to have players use options in sections. Incredible.

I realize this is a topic on another thread, but I think mentioning it is relevant to this discussion.

Apparently, Taylor fired his agent (Rosenhaus) which means he could go with the postons. If this happens, we may be dealing with a holdout situation in a worst case scenario.

How do you think the absence of Taylor will affect Williams' plans and do you think Iffy can be a poor-mans Taylor if called upon?

Didn't Marino have a terrible Wonderlic?

Marino is as dumb as a bucket of hair. Listen to him sometime and you will think - Dumb Jock. This may be sacriledge, but I get the same impression listening to Steve Blake of the Wizards. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Blake, but he isn't very eloquent.

Art,

I admit to knowing next to nothing about GW's defensive schemes but, based on your comments, there seems to be a similar philosophy behind his defense to that of Joe's offense. The offense does not run a whole lot of plays, but it runs those plays from a lot of formations. Is that basically what GW is trying to do?

SJH

Originally posted by Sonny Joe Hog

Art,

I admit to knowing next to nothing about GW's defensive schemes but, based on your comments, there seems to be a similar philosophy behind his defense to that of Joe's offense. The offense does not run a whole lot of plays, but it runs those plays from a lot of formations. Is that basically what GW is trying to do?

SJH

Honestly, I couldn't tell you that. I think it's a bit different for the defense. Gibbs runs base formations and plays off of that so he can always go back to the well. Williams will, at times, have two lineman, three linebackers and six defensive backs on the field and not just in the most obvious passing situations. You can't run the same type of defense with that formation that you can in a base set with a different look.

I think what's more likely here is that Williams will take the responsibility of the complexity of the defense. When his defense was most complex, he probably had players told to decide what they were going to do pre-snap based on formation, motion or whatever. Pre-snap reaction rather than post-snap.

Now, I think Williams reads the keys and drills the keys into the players heads so they know exactly what they are supposed to do for what they look at. It's an automatic check rather than a fluid one. As Williams said, he's got to get his players to trust his keys, so they do what he says and they know it's successful, so, much of the defense will be based on how prepared Williams is so the players have a call and know exactly what to do based on various criteria.

It's not much different than what he might have run before except now there is no guessing that the players will be all on the same page. It's a "see this, do this" routine that allows the defensive players to play athletically without thinking through everything.

Originally posted by Reaganaut

This may be sacriledge, but I get the same impression listening to Steve Blake of the Wizards. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Blake, but he isn't very eloquent.

What do you expect from a former Terp. :laugh:

Remember, we all saw Byron Mouton's class project, which looked like the work of a third grader.

Originally posted by coolskin

It my be a complex system overall, but FS will be the least mentally taxing and easiest to pick up. It always is. Shouldn't be a problem

Actually I'd have to disagree and say that corner is the easiest position to pick up :2cents:

:cheers:

The guy that has to manage the complexity on the field will be Bowen. he will make the secondary cocerage changes and call them out.

Sean will most likely be put in place and then have to react to what goes on.

Remember his wonderlic was low. But it was the same as K2's. If Sean watches film and learns (which looks like he will take the nfl seriously). I would expect Williams to put him in places to make plays rather than to call plays and coverages.

I feel bad for our back 7

Oh, com'on now! It's not going to be that bad. This year we are going with an all together new concept - A plan. I suspect we will actually have defensive schemes, assingments, and players who will stick to those assignments. It will work.

The 46 defense, especially what it evolved to under Williams and Fisher in Tennessee is very complex. I can’t comment on Taylor’s ability to pick it up, but I do know that one of the keys to their success with it in TN was Robertson and Bishop. They had the experience and the discipline to be exactly where they supposed to be, exactly when they were supposed to be there. If Taylor and Bowen study those old tapes from ’99 and ’00, they’ll understand the importance of the safeties role in that defense.

Williams needs one guy to step up on the DL. The back 7 is pretty strong, and they’ll be able to check a lot of what offenses will throw at them. But Griffin needs another guy with him in the middle to check the smashmouth running game. Are Chase and Dalton and Haley coming to camp?

Originally posted by flashback

The 46 defense, especially what it evolved to under Williams and Fisher in Tennessee is very complex. I can’t comment on Taylor’s ability to pick it up, but I do know that one of the keys to their success with it in TN was Robertson and Bishop. They had the experience and the discipline to be exactly where they supposed to be, exactly when they were supposed to be there. If Taylor and Bowen study those old tapes from ’99 and ’00, they’ll understand the importance of the safeties role in that defense.

Williams needs one guy to step up on the DL. The back 7 is pretty strong, and they’ll be able to check a lot of what offenses will throw at them. But Griffin needs another guy with him in the middle to check the smashmouth running game. Are Chase and Dalton and Haley coming to camp?

I happen to share thoughts along the same line. 1 more damn defensive tackle. However, from early reports in camp, Phillip Daniels is being moved to DT. Not exactly a big DT to occupy blockers... but with Griffin and Daniels on the interior... I think the weakness becomes the DE position Daniels was supposed to occupy.

However, with that being said, I believe Williams DTs will be playing 1 gap assignments. Which utilizes the strengths of the talent on hand. And if Williams intends on bringing pressure from every gap... and Bowen playing close to the line (allowing Taylor to roam free as a centerfielder)... it just might work.

But I'd sleep better with an upgrade at the DT position.

I don't think defense will matter much. With our ball control offense and CP running the smashmouth style Hog football, we're going to dictate how games go this year. On defense it's gonna be a lot of bringing the house. If teams want to run quick slants to beat the pass rush, meet Mr. Taylor. Hello.

Okay, I've asked this question before on this board and I'll ask again. What is the Wonderlic Test? I don't mean to show my stupidity, but I have never heard of this before, and I don't know what it is, or what it measures. Thanks for the help.

Archived