Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Merged: Possible deal with Packers -- Rumor

mhd24

Not really sure that you can say Anderson is a clear improvement over either Bowen or Ohalete, though he is young and athletic. The trade would certainly alter what we're considering, but, I suspect this is a bogus rumor.

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ESPN Insider reports the Redskins and the Packers are talking about a trade that would send the 5th overall pick and a 5th rounder to Green Bay for Green Bay's first rounder this year, Marques Anderson, this year's second rounder, and a first rounder next year

Dont know if this is true because i dont have ESPN Insider but i pulled off of CPND. I would pull the trigger i think if this is true

Er, I've got insider. I see nothing like this. Looks like total BS to me.

Anderson is young and raw. Think Andre Lott. Consider: they're bringing back Eric Crouch to compete for his position. Not a considerable upgrade at all.

BD

I don't know what to think. It really all depends on how we project them to perform in '04. Assuming Favre returns, I think 8-10 wins should be expected which translates to 17-25 in terms of slotting. Somwhere in that area.

So is that equal value, someone will have to get that Jimmie Johnson meter to tell based on that, but just viscerally it feels like a good deal:

*25th overall in 2004

*55th overall in 2004

* 1st rounder in 2005 (likely between 16-24)

Marques Anderson (who'd start at either Free or Strong Safety)

I have to admit, that sounds a helluvalot better than Taylor or KW2 to me, we can use the picks we'd get this year to move up into the high teens if there was a DL we really like, or sit tight and take the best available at DE, DT, TE, S, or BAFP w/each pick. That is definitely a helluvalot better than sticking at 5 and paying a freaking safety or TE a 13-14 million dollar signing bonus.

Draft Scouting Reports on M. Anderson:

5'11 213 4.54 3.52

Two-year fulltime starter that saw extensive action with the first unit as both a freshman and sophomore. Finished his senior season with 63/2/10 after 67/3/11 as a junior. Suspended by the team in '99 after totaling 58/0/11 his sophomore campaign and 42/3/7 as a Freshman All-American.

CNNSI.COM Scouting Report

Hard hitting strong safety that looks to intimidate opponents. Quick moving up the field to defend the run, aggressive and likes to mix it up. Takes good angles to the play, works to force the action and constantly around the ball. Displays a burst of closing speed and cover skills in a small area but for the most part lacks the sideline-to-sideline range and has difficulty in man-to-man coverage situations. Slow turning his hips, loses in transition and lacks overall ball skills when the pass is in the air. Did show some cover skills early in his career but best off as a strong safety where his physical nature can be put to good use. Early Fifth Round.

From NFL.com

Positives: Well-built, with thick thighs, muscular arms and solid calves … Jumps into action willingly, staying at a proper pad level to stalk, wrap and secure the ball carrier … Has a sharp backpedal, showing no hesitation in transition … Displays excellent range, playing with discipline while showing quickness in his movements … Great leaper with fluid hips … Aware in the zone, handling the switch-offs with ease … Quick to digest the plays, coming up with aggression to lend support vs. the run … Uses his hands well to prevent from getting tied up by blockers near the line of scrimmage … Very effective mirroring the receivers in the short area … Takes physical arm swipes to jam the tight ends and shows a very sharp burst coming off the edge as a blitzer.

Negatives: Gets walled off by blockers from the outside zone when trying to chase down the ball carrier … Has to show better form breaking down plays, as he will either over-run the action or duck his head on contact, knocking him off-balance … More comfortable playing the zone, despite having the physical skills to recover when in man coverage … Little stiff opening his hips, which makes him come out of his backpedal slowly … Has trouble reacting to route combinations in the deep zone … While known for his punishing hits, he tends to arm tackle and catch, rather than extend, wrap and secure … Takes bad angles coming from the backside.

Originally posted by The Consigliere

is that equal value, it feels like a good deal:

*25th overall in 2004

*55th overall in 2004

* 1st rounder in 2005 (likely between 16-24)

Marques Anderson (who'd start at either Free or Strong Safety)

I have to admit, that sounds a helluvalot better than Taylor or KW2 to me

Well there's a couple of problems with this rumored trade:

#1. Marques Anderson is terrible. More on that in a second.

#2. Throwing in the 5th round pick shouldn't be done.

#1. A friend of mine is a Packer's fan and we've always talked about the players on the teams we root for. Whenever we've talked about Anderson, he has had nothing good to say about him. Says he's not good, maybe average in coverage and TERRIBLE at tackling. Doesn't like him at all. And never has.

Wanting to see what other GB fans think of this, I went into their Newsgroup and searched posts about Anderson. For every 1 positive (mostly written a couple of years ago, by the way) is about 4 negative ones on why he doesn't belong in the starting lineup. Here's are some example opinions on Marques, in one particular thread:

http://tinyurl.com/36pm9

You can search for yourself if you like on more opinions on Marques in that newgroup, which has seen him play the most.

#2. I don't look at the Redskins GETTING the Packers #1 round pick this year. I look at it as an EXCHANGE of picks. GB and WASH would be exchanging picks with Washington dropping around 20 spots in the coveted first round.

What would they be getting in EXCHANGE for dropping that many spots in the blue chip area of the 1st round down to the anything-goes section of the round?

They'd be getting a 2nd round pick (which is so low in the round, it's practically a 3rd round pick), a 1st round pick next year (which will probably be very low), and a bad safety. And..........according to this rumor, the Skins would have to toss in their 5th round pick to boot.

I'm all for trading down. Kellen Winslow is pointless to me. They dont need him. And they need help on their defensive line, really really bad. They cant go into this season with the current line if they expect to be anything better than .500. But be careful before you think this deal is so great for Washington. I don't think it's great at all.

Originally posted by TheDevil'sAdvocate

Well there's a couple of problems with this rumored trade:

#1. Marques Anderson is terrible. More on that in a second.

#2. Throwing in the 5th round pick shouldn't be done.

#1. A friend of mine is a Packer's fan and we've always talked about the players on the teams we root for. Whenever we've talked about Anderson, he has had nothing good to say about him. Says he's not good, maybe average in coverage and TERRIBLE at tackling. Doesn't like him at all. And never has.

Wanting to see what other GB fans think of this, I went into their Newsgroup and searched posts about Anderson. For every 1 positive (mostly written a couple of years ago, by the way) is about 4 negative ones on why he doesn't belong in the starting lineup. Here's are some example opinions on Marques, in one particular thread:

http://tinyurl.com/36pm9

You can search for yourself if you like on more opinions on Marques in that newgroup, which has seen him play the most.

#2. I don't look at the Redskins GETTING the Packers #1 round pick this year. I look at it as an EXCHANGE of picks. GB and WASH would be exchanging picks with Washington dropping around 20 spots in the coveted first round.

What would they be getting in EXCHANGE for dropping that many spots in the blue chip area of the 1st round down to the anything-goes section of the round?

They'd be getting a 2nd round pick (which is so low in the round, it's practically a 3rd round pick), a 1st round pick next year (which will probably be very low), and a bad safety. And..........according to this rumor, the Skins would have to toss in their 5th round pick to boot.

I'm all for trading down. Kellen Winslow is pointless to me. They dont need him. And they need help on their defensive line, really really bad. They cant go into this season with the current line if they expect to be anything better than .500. But be careful before you think this deal is so great for Washington. I don't think it's great at all.

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Excellent post. Essentially we'd be getting an average or poor safety to clog up the secondary.....look we did this once people with Bowen. And he is ok, probably far better than Anderson. And in return we'd be giving up the 5th pick overall? No way....we have a chance to grab top 5 talent....you take it...or you get picks for this year...good picks..not late in the rounds.

Archived