Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tim Brandt Channel 7 news in D.C. is Reporting

Lavarleap56

A lot of people put somewhere in their posts about Kearse, "if he's healthy", that scares me. What kind of money are we talking here for him? 10-15million signing bonus and 4-6 million a year in salary for someone that might have a bum foot? I like Winstrom better, at least we know he's healthy and a hell of a lot cheaper....and then lets draft a couple of solid D-linemen and work with them and stick with them.

Art,

The Redskins are always being accused of tampering, but its very common in the NFL. Read what Bruce Allen said in the newspaper article below.

1- Regarding tampering, team officials cannot discuss signings or trades about players currently UNDER CONTRACT.

2- They also cannot discuss signings or trades about players PUBLICLY under contract or about players who are UFA before the free agent signing and trade moratorium is lifted on March 3rd. But privately who is to say what is discussed?

3- And they cannot contact the PLAYERS or their AGENTS DIRECTLY until the free agency and trade moratorium is lifted on March 3rd. That is why a Boston Globe article reported that the Skins had contacted the agent for DT Ted Washington, which is prohibited. But how do you prove what they really talked about. Vinny Cerrato may have been calling the agent to wish him a happy birthday. :laugh:

Also, although Ted Washington is technically an unrestricted free agent, as is Jevon Kearse -- their contracts have expired -- only New England and Tennessee can negotiate with them or their agents up until March 3rd. But like I said, who can say what they talk about with the agents on the telephone.

=================================

Dillon May Be Latest Target Of Bucs

By ROY CUMMINGS - Published: Jan 21, 2004

MOBILE, Ala. - Like most everyone else taking in the Senior Bowl workouts Tuesday, Bucs General Manager Bruce Allen had his eyes focused squarely on the future. Allen's ears, however, were plugged into the present.

Eager to get the Bucs back to where they were this time last year, Allen said he spent much of Tuesday discussing potential trades with rival clubs. I've talked to a few teams [Tuesday] about potential trades,'' Allen said. We're always looking to get better.''

Allen would not specify whether his discussions centered on obtaining established NFL players, draft picks or a combination of the two. It is believed, however, that one objective is to secure the resources necessary to cut a deal for disgruntled Bengals running back Corey Dillon.

Dillon, who has long expressed displeasure with the Bengals, is expected to have his long-standing wish for a trade granted before this year's draft, and several NFL sources say the Bucs are among the teams who could land him. It may not take much more than a third- or fourth-round draft pick to get a guy like Dillon, but there aren't a lot of teams willing to give that up,'' one NFL team executive said. The Bucs are one that might.''

Citing the fact Dillon remains under contract to the Bengals, neither Allen nor Bucs coach Jon Gruden would comment on the trade speculation. With the Bucs' running back situation in limbo, however, a trade for Dillon might make sense. Though the Bucs seem ready to make Thomas Jones their feature back, they will have to re-sign him before free agency begins or win a bidding battle afterward. Re-establishing Michael Pittman as the feature back is another option, but with Pittman set to stand trial on domestic abuse and probation violation charges, there is no guarantee he'll be available.

Given those scenarios, the Bucs may opt to take a run at landing Dillon, who is slated to count $3.3 million against the cap in 2004 and has long been considered one of the NFL's most potent runners. Until last season, when knee problems limited him to 13 games, Dillon never gained less than the 1,129 yards rushing that he racked up his rookie season.

Dillon, 29, does carry some baggage. In addition to coming off an injury-plagued season, he has never seemed happy while with the Bengals and announced during the team's playoff push last year that he wanted out. Whether a change in scenery would alter Dillon's attitude is uncertain, but his agent, David Dunn, said Dillon would definitely be happy playing in Tampa Bay.

Who wouldn't want to play for Jon Gruden?'' Dunn said. Though Tampa Bay is a place where Dillon might be happy, either Dallas or Washington is believed to be his most desired destination. As one NFL executive put it, however, the Cowboys and Redskins may not be as willing as the Bucs to give up the draft picks the Bengals will want.

Dallas and Washington have a lot more work to do to with their teams than Tampa,'' the executive said. They might want to hold onto their picks, whereas Tampa may be in a better position to give them up.'' In other trade talk, a report out of Jacksonville on Tuesday said the Bucs may have some interest in trading for Jaguars quarterback David Garrard. A Bucs source said Monday the team may have interest in obtaining veteran Jaguars quarterback Mark Brunell.

If Kearse is signed already, that means you guys over-paid. Kearse is possibly the #1 free agent, reguardless of position. Why would he take himself off the market when some other team may pay him more. And I doubt much of it, if any, is incentive based

Originally posted by Oldskool

I think it would be tampering only if a contract was signed. If he agreed verbally, I dont think that would be tampering.

Wrong. It is tampering if you even comment on another teams player regarding coming to your team. This would not be the first time for Little boy Danny. It happened last year and the year before. All I can say is that you're lucky that that bonehead commissioner is a skins fan or you would have been done a long time ago. What about the Lavar thing. He is even griping about the skins messing him over on the contract. Snyder is a bum and the rest of the league knows it.

Originally posted by Cajuncowboy

Wrong. It is tampering if you even comment on another teams player regarding coming to your team. This would not be the first time for Little boy Danny. It happened last year and the year before. All I can say is that you're lucky that that bonehead commissioner is a skins fan or you would have been done a long time ago. What about the Lavar thing. He is even griping about the skins messing him over on the contract. Snyder is a bum and the rest of the league knows it.

Bawahahahhahahaha

Jealousy runs deep.

Snyder does nothing that any other teams doesn't do...

People always want to point fingers at the Skins, yet nothing is ever proved. :rolleyes:

Case in point Ted Washington's agent mentioned 3 teams interested in his client, yet the only team that gets the ink? the Redskins. Showing interest is a long way from contract talks, which is breaking the rules. Yeah the NFL give's the skins breaks....:laugh:

another point, During the Super Bowl, the Skins barred Mark Brunell from a Redskin function for fear of breaking NFL tampering rules, because he was under contract of the Jags, and hadn't been given permission at that time to talk with other teams. If the Skins were that concious of the rules to look bad at the Super bowl in order to follow the rules, I seriously doubt they would do anything that would get them in trouble with the league.

Actually Tagliabue is so aware of making himself not look like a Redskins fan that any league decision that has any effect on the Skins goes against us. An example was Michael Irvin not being suspended for the season in 1996.

I hate to say it, and would never have even thought it after his rookie season, but I think you get a little too much sizzle as opposed to substance when it comes to Kearse. And that's been the story with the Skins entire D for how many years now?

With Brunell and Portis already, I play this one a little closer to the vest. I hope we make a serious push for Wistrom. We need hungry players on our defense, and I feel safer that Wistrom brings that attitude than Kearse. Kearse just missed too much football for my comfort.

If we get him (Kearse), I'll be excited as hell, try to ignore the money as much as I can (so as not to ruin that excitement), and spend the better part of training camp and the season with my fingers crossed.

Kearse = Deion signing

Look, the guys primary rushing moves are built almost entirely on speed as opposed to shedding blockers. So, losing half a step means losing any chance to be dominating. He says he wants around $16-$20m in signing bonus money. That's a perfect recipe for cap hell. Let's get over our big name fixation and look for a Coles type signing on the DL, instead of grabbing up this year's David Boston.

Darren Howard is the one Coles-type defensive end available and he's franchised, meaning unavailable. Kearse is 27 with several good years left. Even while recovering from a foot injury he managed healthy if not dominating numbers as a defensive end. Kearse is a big name and I'd like to see us approach signing him with some caution. But he's a guy you have to approach.

Originally posted by BleedBurgundy&Gold

This is my major concern as well. If Kearse is healthy, he is one of the biggest forces in the league, but he has been hurt so often. I would be a little weary of throwing a ton of money at him. He is an animal though.

Yeah he has been hurt but he still gets double and triple teamed.

What about DT. D Russell on the inside would help Kearse :2cents:

I like Kearse, but foot injuries are tough to get over, especially with surgery.Been there. It's not easy coming back to full speed. Let's hope, if this does happen, Kearse will be completely healthy without lingering effects of the injury

My biggest concern is that Kearse had his best years at LDE, Renaldo Wynn's position. Is there a possibility we might make a run a Wistrom as well or even use Regan Upshaw at RDE and slide Wynn over to DT?

Originally posted by ladybugs

A lot of people put somewhere in their posts about Kearse, "if he's healthy", that scares me. What kind of money are we talking here for him? 10-15million signing bonus and 4-6 million a year in salary for someone that might have a bum foot? I like Winstrom better, at least we know he's healthy and a hell of a lot cheaper....and then lets draft a couple of solid D-linemen and work with them and stick with them.

That would seem to be the smart thing to do...but we Know Snyder wouldn't make this kind of move...it doesn't get the Skins enough publicity and keep them in the headlines...plus he can sell a lot more Jevon Kearse Jersey's than Winstrom jersey's.

Archived