Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Armstead to be released...

SmootDawg21

There can't really be loyalty as you change staffs. It's hard to force guys out of loyalty to keep players just for the sake of keeping them. I LOVED Armstead and felt he played better than any of our linebackers last year. But, the team needs to get younger at that spot and we don't have draft picks for doing so. That does mean we probably are going to use that money to get a young starting level backer of some sort.

Holdman has had some injury issues. I may prefer Washington because he's a bit bigger and might allow Arrington to be a dedicated weakside backer.

Originally posted by Cskin

With Trotter and Arrington in the fold, it makes sense to bring in a rookie or young FA who's potential is rising than Armstead's is falling.

If by being in the fold you mean washed up, then I think you are being a little ridiculous. Armstead is the man plain and simple. Who is his replacement. I will be saddened to see Armstead go. He is a solid player. He has more gas in that tank.

Originally posted by sonsofwashington

If by being in the fold you mean washed up, then I think you are being a little ridiculous. Armstead is the man plain and simple. Who is his replacement. I will be saddened to see Armstead go. He is a solid player. He has more gas in that tank.

Agreed...we let the wrong guy go - umm #54!!!! I guess now that guarantees that Trotter will stay...darn.

Originally posted by RTerps2002

Jonathan Vilma

Yeah, he'd be nice if we had any draft picks... But we don't, b/c for the second year in a row the team has decided to give them away...

Shoulda been Trotter. I guess it makes sense, with the $ saved and how old Armstead is. But he was the smartest, most consistent lb on the team last year. While Trotter and LaVar were blowing assignments all over the field, Armstead quietly had a stellar season.

It's too bad b/c this team needs every Jessie Armstead type it can get its hands on-- comes to work everyday, plays hurt, plays smart, plays tough, even at, what...34?

Boy, it seems everyday we punch another hole in our defense. where's the help gonna come from? Especially since we're giving away(AGAIN!) all our draft picks.

Wonder how much say Greg Williams had in this...

Originally posted by SkinzFan007

Two words: Clifton Smith. I know he was a middle linebacker at Syracuse but I think he will make the transition well. He has good size and wieght ( 6'3" 251 lbs.) as well as good speed (ranging from 4.65-4.75). His senior year at Syracuse he had 137 tackles in 12 games. He's a tough tackler and has a lot of intelligence for the game. I've liked him from day one and was real glad that we picked him up. I hope he gets some PT this year.

Wasn't there a reason he wasn't drafted?

I'm sad to see him go, but can't really complain about this move too much. Does this mean Antonio Pierce will get his big chance, or are they looking at another LB to step in and be an upgrade.

I liked Jesse, because he was the most disciplined LB we had. Out of the 3 of them, he made the least amount of mistakes. Yet Jesse was getting beat like a drum simply because he couldn't stick with TEs anymore.

I wish he didn't have to be cut, he would've provided great depth for us.

Originally posted by Gamebreaker

I'm sad to see him go, but can't really complain about this move too much. Does this mean Antonio Pierce will get his big chance, or are they looking at another LB to step in and be an upgrade.

I liked Jesse, because he was the most disciplined LB we had. Out of the 3 of them, he made the least amount of mistakes. Yet Jesse was getting beat like a drum simply because he couldn't stick with TEs anymore.

I wish he didn't have to be cut, he would've provided great depth for us.

I never understood why it was so out of the question to put Arrington on Shockey, instead of Armstead being on him. Both Edwards and Lewis made that mistake.

Antonio Pierce has been a starter under Marty and has seen some playing time since then. I think he will be fine if called on to start. Is he Jessie in his prime? No, but he will be decent. I haven’t seen Smith play (that I can remember) but the staff must think he will be able to at least contribute. LB isn’t like QB. You simply can’t learn much unless you are playing. Get him in there.

Is this the first shoe to drop? Could Trotter be next? Maybe fatso was partially correct when he talked about our need for LBs. I still think he was part wrong too. If we go after a LB in free agency it will only be for depth IMO. I can’t see a lot of money being spent on a big name LB.

Originally posted by JoeSkins

for Holdman? Sure. But, I still don't like the lack of loyalty to a player who gave his all and played his guts out for us. The best LB here during his tenure here.

Lack of loyalty? This move was planned by both our organization and agreed to by Armstead when the contract was signed. Or is your memory that short?

SonofWashington...

I say keeping Trotter & Arrington in the fold because their salary figures prohibit them from being released. It would cost MORE to cut Trotter than to keep him. Additionally, I believe another year removed from the knee injury and an attacking defense scheme deployed by Williams and we'll see the Trotter more familiar with the Eagles Jeremiah Trotter. What part of that don't you understand?

Since Clifton Smith is 250lbs yet has good speed, it appears for the time being he may be a better fit on the strongside while Arrington moves to the weakside. Additionally, Clemmons might be an option as well on the weakside.

Originally posted by WallyG3

This reminds me of last year when we cut Tre. It hurts to see a guy like that go, but you bow your head and say "yeah, it had to be done."

i don't think so. tre hardly saw the field in his second tenure. the dude pulled his hamstring/groin on an exercise bike (or on the toilet/can't remember).

jessie always played hard and probably was the most assignment true LB we had the last couple of years. i don't mind seeing him demoted but cutting the guy seems extreme. HOWEVER we do have some young talent at LB that i think needs more playing time. but i think having jessie around as a backup will ensure that we at least have someone who knows what they are doing.

It seems a little too dramatic to just cut him. He's a talented linebacker that played well for us last year. I don't know about what his cap salary would have been this year but from reading the posts here it doesn't seem significant. There must be some way we could have kept him. Maybe locking him into a long term incentive laden contract or something along those lines. He's a good veteran that could be very helpful if we decided to say draft a LB, he could help bring him along and progress from college to the NFL. I don't know what they were thinking with this move but I guess you just gotta trust them.

Archived