Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Was that her breast? (The Official MERGED Janet Jackson Thread)

Luca Brasi

Originally posted by Die Hard

The only times I've gotten into this sort of debate have been started by a non-parent telling me how they are going to do things right when they have kids. As if I care.

Henry, if I look over this thread to see who replied first... me or you.. and frequency... I think we'll get a pretty fair picture how much you do care. In fact, the first page of this thread had content which didn't pertaining to anything regarding the topic of parenting did it?

It wasn't until parents added their perspective did it become about "parenting". So in fact, this topic was not "started by a non-parent".

ND jr is too young to understand butI'd be p1ssed if he saw that

And the they do it in other countries remark is asinine as wel as a typical liberal bailout.

Heck other countries pay 4 bucks a gallon for gas while we are outraged when it 2 dollars or more.

The USA response should be: "THATS THEIR effing PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!

WE are the trend setters of morals and supply and demand economically

Originally posted by Awgustlab

Those of us without kids don't have credible opinions on this issue or on how most parents on this board are overreacting in regards to a bare tittie? Incredible. Just because I choose not to have children and overpopulate the world - does not mean I know nothing about children and what affects them during their impressionable years.

You don't seem to think those of us with kids have credible opinions. Why then should I feel any differently about yours?

Originally posted by Henry

Henry, if I look over this thread to see who replied first... me or you.. and frequency... I think we'll get a pretty fair picture how much you do care. In fact, the first page of this thread had content which didn't pertaining to anything regarding the topic of parenting did it?

It wasn't until parents added their perspective did it become about "parenting". So in fact, this topic was not "started by a non-parent".

I really, really wish you had read the entire thread, Die Hard. I haven't been talking specifically, or primarily about you this entire time.

I would like to think we can disagree without you editing my posts. If I have crossed a line, rest assured it was unintentional. PM me and I'll be sure to avoid it in the future. Please know that even when we don't agree on an issue, I have the utmost respect for you and the board.

You don't seem to think those of us with kids have credible opinions. Why then should I feel any differently about yours?

The difference is that I didn't necessarily say that you didn't have a credible opinion - I said the parents need to relax - I think your child or your children are gonna be ok after all is said and done. I don't think Janet Jackson's tittie is gonna visit them in any nightmares soon or cause them to turn out any worse than had they not seen it. Little Johnny is gonna be just fine.

Originally posted by Awgustlab

The difference is that I didn't necessarily say that you didn't have a credible opinion - I said the parents need to relax - I think your child or your children are gonna be ok after all is said and done. I don't think Janet Jackson's tittie is gonna visit them in any nightmares soon or cause them to turn out any worse than had they not seen it. Little Johnny is gonna be just fine.

I find it disturbing there are so many people that think that an adult flashing themselves in front of little kids is perfectly ok.

Originally posted by chet06

Not that big of a deal and was an innocent mistake. What is the upside for Timberlake? None. For Jackson there is no real upside either -so it was a mistake. Big deal. For all those people who were wondering what to say to their kids - Say "Son/daughter her blouse fell off by mistake and leave it at that." The bigger issue I have is the advertisements for "male enhancement products on prime time." Why are people not up in arms about that. What are you going to tell your kids when they see those ads? Those need to get off the air

You it was an accident? You gotta be the most gulable person in America!

Just so this gets in some perspective:

I am a public school administrator. My job covers 9 counties and 25 school districts, having just gained 2 more districts in a new county.

ONE of those schools had 7 grade students INVITED to be part of the group on the field watching the entertainment. They were assured there would not be ANYTHING inappropriate.

Now, try explaining this thread to THOSE parents. This was an act that was totally inappropriate for children. I realize 7 grade students are 12 or 13 and they see this on TV.

THAT IS TOTALLY NOT THE POINT. The point is that those parents were assured the activities were be acceptable, and their children would be experiencing the SUPER BOWL.

The incident was wrong.

Blondie

Raise your kids as you see fit. Don't watch the Super Bowl or support CBS. Do what you need to do.

But by acknowleding the event to this proportion... the network and Janet Jackson accomplished what they set out to do.

This is the truest statement of the ENTIRE freaking thread. MTV knew about all of it in advance, CBS knew at the "highest" levels and for sure Timberlake and Jackson got the memo as well.

As I originally stated in my original and only post to this thread (until now), the entire "I've Got A Kung Fu Star On My Nipple, I Think I'll Let Justin Rip A Piece Of My Outfit Off So Everyone Can See It" episode is filed under the "Any PR is good PR" Category.

The idea of glorifying ripping a girl's shirt off in public while singing "I'll have you nekkid by the end of this song" isn't a good one...but like a few of you have already said in this thread, I have a bigger problem with the "dog biting the crotch" spot and the "horse farting in the girl's face" spot than the lame Janet/Justin thing. Although amusing, they were still sophomoric, "lowest common denominator humor" commercials.

But let us remind ourselves that it was a football game on TV. Sure it was the Super Bowl, but the TV crews for just about all sporting events regularly give camera to hockey fights (great example for the kids, btw), scantily clad cheerleaders, drunken, scantily clad female fans, drunken male fans with bigger boobs than Janet Jackson slathered in body paint screaming,"**** You, **** You, **** You!".

And Christmas still arrived on time last year. Go figure.

Crazy, huh?

No, we didn't get the choice of whether or not we wanted to be a part of the Super Bowl hype yesterday. But we are ALWAYS subjected to things in public and on television and radio that we didn't get to peruse on the menu first. At the end of the day, when things like this happen in front of our kids, it's up to us not freak out, act shocked and wrap an Ace bandage around the kids eyes to prevent them from seeing whatever it is we're trying to protect them from. When possible, it should be a prime opportunity to encourage a healthy discourse on why or why not a particular activity or action is acceptable. It can even be a learning experience that can be parlayed into an opportunity for a young person to practice thinking for him or herself. Imagine how proud you'd be if, after the Janet thing, your child said something like, Daddy, why did she do that? That's nasty (no pun, I swear)...I'd never let a boy do that.

Unrealistic? Probably. Possible? Absolutely! I've seen it happen.

:dj:

Originally posted by JurgyFan

When possible, it should be a prime opportunity to encourage a healthy discourse on why or why not a particular activity or action acceptable. It can even be a learning experience that can be parlayed into an opportunity for a young person to practice thinking for him or herself. Imagine how proud you'd be if, after the Janet thing, your child said something like, Daddy, why did she do that? That's nasty (no pun, I swear)...I'd never let a boy do that.

Unrealistic? Probably. Possible? Absolutely! I've seen it happen.

Well said.

Again, to the "its not the end of the world" crowd: I know that.

Despite what I have posted in this thread, I did not gasp, jump across the room screaming "Noooooooo!" in an vain attempt to cover my child's eyes before he went insane with female nudity and ran out of the room in search of a Barbie doll to rip the clothes off of.

It was simply not cool. In the same way getting sucker-punched in the face isn't cool. Sure you'll survive. You might even learn something. That doesn't mean it wasn't a bad thing. And it doesn't mean I'm not allowed to say so.

Sheesh.

While many Australians I have talked to exhibit the "what's the big deal? it happens here all the time..." reaction, some agree that the network violated cultural standards of decency and appropriateness, especially for something that's supposed to be family entertainment. I feel for you parents who have had a small part of the privilege and responsibility of educating your children in values and standards ripped from you by this act.

I also agree with Blade that the violent imagery of the act is utterly inappropriate. Not only for children, which is obvious, but for societal standards as a whole. Treating women as pure objects of entertainment (yes, I know, Janet consented to it--but what would we say to a black person who consented to being displayed as a happy slave?) upon whom men can work their will is morally repugnant and sends the wrong message to our entire culture, not just the young ones.

well, I certainly did not label anyone as a bunch of hysterical psychos but when I read how everyone wants to boycott CBS, Pepsi, Viacom companies and Justion Timberlak albums and all the sponsors of the superbowl, and all that crap - yes, it does make me have a sense of too many people overreacting and freaking out. When I hear all these parents in this thread voice their concerns that it's all about how somthing like this affects their children, I have to say "give me a break".

And football is not G-rated, by the way. What about all the pushing and shoving we saw in the first quarter? Is that what a child needs to see? That's why they call it "unnecessary" roughness. Because there is no need ofr it in the game, but guess what - it still happens. So you teach your kid that it's wrong to play like that when they join PeeWee. And if you want to teach your kid about some sexual issues after they see Janet's tittie on tv, feel free to do so. But you don't have to freak out and get raving mad over this minor incident. Hell, it was even covered with the metal pasty. They see glaring headlights on women's scantily clad bikinis on tv or at the beach or any number of places on a daily basis. Do they wonder if that woman is "cold"? Sheesh - all I said was mellow out, settle down.

I can just see the e-mail forwards a coming too - the "Boycott CBS!!" etc. etc. etc. ones. Nice.

Originally posted by Tarhog

Why is it that those who see this as 'no biggie' feel the need to paint those of us who DO have a problem with it as a bunch of hysterical psychos? As both Henry and I have said, we didn't react in any way outwardly to the display as it occured. As for it being a 'learning opportunity', maybe next year we can have someone use some racial epithets and bash homosexuals at halftime so we can address those issues with our 6 year olds as well? It'll be fantastic! Believe it or not, I have ultimate faith in my kids to distinguish right from wrong, admirable from disturbed. I'm just pissed that network TV doesn't have any respect for its consumers.

No one is arguing this is the end of western civilization. Just that it was a crappy stunt to pull on whats supposed to be a g-rated event. I don't think its that radical of a position?

I'm done talking about this. But I will say that some of you, who argue oh so stridently that your views are being 'quashed' and 'bulldozed' when you're in the minority opinion certainly seem to lack tolerance for another's take when it differs from your own.

I'm only responding because since you lifted the "learning opportunity" quote from my post, I'm assuming that you're lumping me into the category you spoke of.

You apparently feel vilified by several responses contained in this thread and because of that, it seems like you read a post until you see something that touches you off and then dispense with the rest of the post. If you read my post completely and thoroughly (which is time-consuming to say the least with all of this particular thread's contributions), you'll see that I was addressing the fact that the unusually large amount of attention paid to the Janet thing in this thread just confirms what everyone in the proverbial "back room" of CBS and MTV already knew...PR is Public Relations...not particularly good Public Relations, but any Public Relations. It was a hook with a BIG FAT WORM on it and plenty of people bit on it.

Do I agree with the tactic? If you'd gotten the gist my post intimated, the answer is NO! I did, however, mention that there were other questionable items on the Super Bowl itinerary that were of more concern than the Janet thing.

Your hyperbolic comment regarding racial epithets and the such smacks of someone who has taken personal umbrage to a previous comment from someone else. You miss entirely the point about the "learning experience" comment because you're angry with someone on this site...I don't know who, but your argument is not with me.

I will reiterate, although the Super Bowl is supposed to be a G-rated event, seldom does a professional sporting event achieve that goal. Arguably, sports in general haven't been G rated since before the 1972 Munich Olympics. Further, in striving for "Behind the Scenes" and "You Are There" type background information in sports today, networks stick cameras and microphones everywhere! I can't count the times I've heard expletives, profanity and vulgarity on television and radio during sporting events that were supposedly G-rated. If you're looking for a standard for your kids, I hate to break it to you, but sports in general and especially the Super Bowl ain't it.

You sound like a passionate person and I applaud you for that and respect your opinion, yet the enthusiasm and vigor with which you defend your point (or attack others'...depends on your point of view as to which is which) would be better suited and perhaps more productive if aimed at the person or persons or organizations actually responsible for the offending act...and not at your Redskin brethren.

Just a thought.

Despite what I have posted in this thread, I did not gasp, jump across the room screaming "Noooooooo!" in an vain attempt to cover my child's eyes before he went insane with female nudity and ran out of the room in search of a Barbie doll to rip the clothes off of.

awww come on Henry... I had that exact scene in my head after reading your posts.....LOL...:rotflmao:

Seriously.. I don't have a problem with anything that you or Tarhog posted. Obviously you guys love your kids and would only look out for their best interests. Who can say anything negative about that.

I'm just sticking to my marilyn manson comparison. I think that sometimes we overreact (in general) and give certain people or practices a forum that they wouldn't have if it were not for our overreaction.

Regardless............ PEACE:notworthy

This act, stunt, or whatever you want to call it, would be ok on

MTV, but not during the halftime show of the SuperBowl. We all

have our opinions and feelings about what happened. I will not

sit here and discuss that because it has been said several times

in the preceeding 17 pages.

What is bothering me more is that the halftime entertainment

is overshadowing the game. I don't want Hollywood or the entertainment industry to take over the game. I would be just as happy if we went back to some college or high school band playing at halftime. I would prefer the extra time be spent on highlights and reviews.

Basically, what I am trying to say is the game is what should the event should be all about.

I can't believe there are 180 posts about viewing a partially exposed breast on TV.

1) You realize children are on the internet everyday and see 100x worse?

The difference is I CAN control the content a child has access to on the Internet. And I do so because I have a posteriori knowledge of what's on the Internet. Contrast this with what is billed as family programming on public (commercial) television. I cannot control the editorial judgment of CBS.

I really, really wish you had read the entire thread, Die Hard. I haven't been talking specifically, or primarily about you this entire time.

I would like to think we can disagree without you editing my posts. If I have crossed a line, rest assured it was unintentional. PM me and I'll be sure to avoid it in the future. Please know that even when we don't agree on an issue, I have the utmost respect for you and the board.

Hey Henry, that was an honest mistake. I mean to hit the "quote" button and instead I clicked the "edit" button.

I didn't mean to edit your post. Sorry. I just noticed it now :)

Archived