Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Cut: The Lure of Divorce

Destino

In the summer of 2022, I lost my mind. At first, it seemed I was simply overwhelmed because life had become very difficult, and I needed to — had every right to — blow off some steam. Our family was losing its apartment and had to find another one, fast, in a rental market gone so wild that people were offering over the asking price on rent. My husband, Keith, was preparing to publish a book, Raising Raffi, about our son, a book he’d written with my support and permission but that, as publication loomed, I began to have mixed feelings about. To cope with the stress, I asked my psychiatrist to increase the dosage of the antidepressant I’d been on for years. Sometime around then, I started talking too fast and drinking a lot.

https://www.thecut.com/article/marriage-divorce-should-i-leave-my-husband-emily-gould.html

You know how sometimes when you taste or smell something particularly awful you feel an urge to invite your friends to do the same? It’s in that spirit that I share this with you. 

Yo up my meds, I’ll deal with the cracked out feeling by drinking heavily starting in the morning 

idk what she thought she was writing but no one should find anything in there to take advice from

Everyone goes through this. I was the one to end a couple of my relationships. When it was over, it was over. I no longer had the same feelings, especially the one who was sleeping with someone else but wanted me still to support her. You can guess how far my feelings went with that one. So there's hurt feelings for a while and then I get on with life because it's not good to keep carrying on. Plus not having to deal with a formal contract process, it's easier to move on. There's not an artificial time element to deal with. 

4 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

are you serious?  You read past the first paragraph.

tl/dr this lady is crazy and it took her a while to figure it out.

I read to the paragraph that started, “We decided to start divorce mediation…”

I’ll slog through it, maybe it picks up. A divorce resulting from misalignment around approach to finances and household roles, along with career dissatisfaction isn’t something rare. 

She has celiac disease and goes to a wedding without a food plan? 

They get a new apartment with two tiny rooms and one larger room, and she naturally takes the larger room? 🥱

I feel bad for Keith. This was her side of the story. No matter how honest she may imagine herself to be this was what happened cast in a positive light. He’s still trapped in this hostage situation for no reason greater than the heart wants what it wants. No doubt terrified of what might happen if his next book does well, and his wife decides to once again take his success as an intolerable offense.

We really need a vomit emoji reaction for stuff like this.  I'm just glad I didn't bother clicking on the link.  The last 2 sentences were evidence enough that this would be the rantings of a bat**** crazy woman who thinks nothing is her fault.

12 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

We really need a vomit emoji reaction for stuff like this.  I'm just glad I didn't bother clicking on the link.  The last 2 sentences were evidence enough that this would be the rantings of a bat**** crazy woman who thinks nothing is her fault.

But you missed my favorite part.

My husband would have to forgive me for cheating and wasting our money. I would have to forgive him for treading on my literary territory: our family’s life, my own life.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1