Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Eric Adams arrest watch

Cooked Crack

Federal prosecutors and the F.B.I. are conducting a broad public corruption investigation into whether Mayor Eric Adams’s 2021 election campaign conspired with the Turkish government to receive illegal foreign donations, according to a search warrant obtained by The New York Times. 

The investigation burst into public view on Thursday when federal agents conducted an early-morning raid at the Brooklyn home of the mayor’s chief fund-raiser, Brianna Suggs. Ms. Suggs is a campaign consultant who is deeply entwined with efforts to advance the mayor’s agenda. 

Investigators also sought to learn more about the potential involvement of a Brooklyn construction company with ties to Turkey, as well as a small university in Washington, D.C., that also has ties to the country and to Mr. Adams. 

According to the search warrant, investigators were also focused on whether the mayor’s campaign kicked back benefits to the construction company’s officials and employees, and to Turkish officials.

The warrant suggested that some of the foreign campaign contributions were made as part of a straw donor scheme, where donations are made in the names of people who did not actually give money. Investigators sought evidence to support potential charges that included the theft of federal funds and conspiracy to steal federal funds, wire fraud and wire fraud conspiracy, as well as campaign contributions by foreign nationals and conspiracy to make such contributions.

Mr. Adams has boasted of his ties to Turkey, most recently during a flag-raising he hosted for the country in Lower Manhattan last week. The mayor said that there were probably no other mayors in New York City history who had visited Turkey as frequently as he has.

Ms. Suggs, 25, is the latest in a series of individuals tied to Mr. Adams who have attracted interest from law enforcement, including several connected to the mayor’s fund-raising efforts. 

In September, Eric Ulrich, Mr. Adams’s former buildings commissioner and senior adviser, was indicted by the Manhattan district attorney, Alvin Bragg, on 16 felony charges, including counts of conspiracy and bribetaking. Mr. Ulrich, as well as three others indicted at the time, helped organize a 2021 fund-raiser for Mr. Adams. 

In July, Mr. Bragg indicted six individuals, including a retired police inspector who once worked and socialized with Mr. Adams, on charges of conspiring to funnel illegal donations to the mayor’s 2021 campaign.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/02/nyregion/eric-adams-brianna-suggs-fbi-raid.html

• Thanks 4
  • Sad 1
  • Thumb up 1

On 11/3/2023 at 9:10 AM, TradeTheBeal! said:

“A small university in Washington DC”?

Do tell!

Bay Atlantic University apparently. Can't say I've ever heard of it cuz they ain't got no sports programs. 

Anyone know the penalty for illegal foreign campaign contributions? Guessing it's a fine since some of the money has already been returned. 

Edited by Captain Wiggles

Just pointing out:  

IMO, I'll tend to cut a lot of slack to a politician, if the charge is only "accepted money from (somebody ugly). 

I tend to assume that anybody can send money to a political campaign. And it's not the campaign's job to research every doner, searching for a reason why maybe we should refuse it. 

Yeah, investigate. See if maybe there's something more. But it isn't automatically corruption. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Foreign money contributions are against the law. Most Democrats (and maybe some Republicans), return the contribution when they find out about it so as not to get indicted for it. If a United States politician doesn't, they deserve prosecution.

I'm aware of that.  

But what the tweet above says is that his campaign received money from 3 people (nationality not mentioned) who were members of a foundation which was founded by a foreign national.  

Assuming that this money is "foreign money", when did his campaign learn of it?  (Yes.  I know.  That's something you investigate, to find out.)  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...