Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 NFL Draft Position/Tracker - Final Pick #2

zCommander

58 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Not just that, procrastinating for a year on starting the rebuild burns a year of the very short grace period new regimes get to develop their QBs, before the expectation becomes win or you're fired.

We've been gifted a golden opportunity to start building the right way, for the first time in my lifetime, and there are actually people that want to throw it away?  Blue chip QB prospect in the first year of a new regime is the dream.

We're gonna take the blue chip QB at #2, it's probably going to be Drake Maye, and it is 100% the correct decision.  And for the first time in a long time, I'm starting to see a path to genuine prosperity.  I see a bright, hungry young coach getting hired, not some retread who is going to shortcut everything and check out quickly.  I see a true GM getting hired to be a team builder.  I see the most exciting QB prospect in 12 years being brought in here, only without us having to sell the farm to do it.  I see winning by year two and the fans coming back in.  And I see a brand new state of the art stadium being built in DC and making us one of the proud showcase franchises of the NFL.  I see us truly competing with the big boys and making real money.  The NFL has been dying for a premier franchise to take its place in DC, with backdrops of the Potomac and National Mall behind an ultra modern stadium, with a premier team in town playing impactful Monday Night duels against the Chicagos and Green Bays and LAs of the league.  That's the show they want to present, and that's in front of us now.  We just have to follow the path that the football gods put in front of us.

There are a whole lot of teams out there that wished they had not drafted a QB at the top, The Panthers being one. Nothing is 100% The Bears were 100% correct not to take Young in redo. The new Coach will meet the QB's before the draft he may like Maye or not it's their call their Jobs on the line, they have options. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, skinsfan66 said:

There are a whole lot of teams out there that wished they had not drafted a QB at the top, The Panthers being one. Nothing is 100% The Bears were 100% correct not to take Young in redo. The new Coach will meet the QB's before the draft he may like Maye or not it's their call their Jobs on the line, they have options. 

They were not correct to pass on CJ Stroud. Which they did do.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, skinsmania123 said:

The weapons that Peyton Manning had during his time at Indianapolis alone were stellar. He had some really, really good receivers like Harrison, Wayne, Clark, Stokley and Pollard.   

The Bears should have fixed their issues 2 years ago.  And yes, they have a decent WR1 they added for 2023.   And Field's was super reliant on him this year. Over 1,000 yards, and 6 TD's in 12 games. 

Oh no doubt he had some great receivers. But both Manning and Brady also made players like Auston Collie and Wes Welker into far far better players than they really were. That was my main point, a great QB can turn average receivers into very productive receivers.  

11 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Fields weapons and OL were mediocre at best. Closer to bordering on terrible. His OC wasn't much better.  Add in some injuries and viola Chicago fleeced the top pick.  Don't let that them landing that top pick effect grading Fields.  I think the jury is out on him but he has showed flashes and improvement. He destroyed us. Embarrassed JDR and our D ~as good as any other QBs we faced. If not better. The thursday night massacre would have been worse if Mooney didnt drop some deep wide open perfect throws.

Now do his bad games, plenty to chose from.  

I am getting tired of the love for Justin Fields. As I had said after year 3 we know who he is, an inconsistent QB who has brilliant moments but can't be counted on for 17 weeks.  You don't pass up the chance to get a player who could totally change your franchise for a guy like Fields and picks.  Just pull the trigger now when you have that rare opportunity to get a prospect like Caleb Williams. 

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Thumb up 3

27 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

How do you know they wouldn't have taken Stroud?

Part of the narrative ironically about the Bears taking a QB this time is they can't do this twice.  The first time it was because they already drafted Fields top 10 and wanted to give him time.  Fields has flashed some but its far from slam dunk that he's the answer.

Simply put, teams rarely trade down when they are picking high when they need a QB unless they think they have the QB in house.

Screen Shot 2024-01-11 at 8.33.38 AM.png

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

They certainly did.  I'm convinced that the people who actually seem to want us to puke this opportunity away don't really watch the rest of the league to see how great the NFL show can be.  There is nothing better in major revenue pro sports than two strong NFL teams built around brilliant QBs battling for playoff seeding or advancement in a primetime game.  We can finally be a part of that.  We're looking at a future where we'll be battling with Chicago and Green Bay for the NFC crown in the way that KC, Buffalo, Baltimore, and Cincy do for the AFC now.  We've just got to start by doing the obvious things: hire an ambitious and talented GM, hire a smart young coach, and pick Drake Maye.

Yep. A path to success is in front of us. We just have to not over think things and take it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

They certainly did.  I'm convinced that the people who actually seem to want us to puke this opportunity away don't really watch the rest of the league to see how great the NFL show can be.  There is nothing better in major revenue pro sports than two strong NFL teams built around brilliant QBs battling for playoff seeding or advancement in a primetime game.  We can finally be a part of that.  We're looking at a future where we'll be battling with Chicago and Green Bay for the NFC crown in the way that KC, Buffalo, Baltimore, and Cincy do for the AFC now.  We've just got to start by doing the obvious things: hire an ambitious and talented GM, hire a smart young coach, and pick Drake Maye.

You brought up GB, they have one of the best young teams in the NFL agree, Could they have traded up and took a shot at replacing Love when he was struggling? They did not and have a nice young team on the rise with the picks they saved. Chicago, could have taken a QB to replace Fields last year? May take one this year. It is like you say GM, Coach and the pick or choice are open. But May is not 100%. All options on the table, it could be Maye or.....

It's so early for the smoke and mirrors for the top of the first round. But for Washington, and based on what Harris said about how to build a team as far as timeline, it's not in their interest to fall into whatever the Bears are doing right now if their real goal is to move down and get Harrison for Fields' WR. If you're Washington and you are ok with Williams or Maye or Daniels (that's a different topic if you like all 3, then I'm concerned since they are 3 different types of QBs), you make it sound like the if QB you want (not by name) isn't there at #2, you will take Harrison Jr. without blinking. Not saying you do that. I am saying that if the Bears think they can swap with New England and still land Harrison at #3 since you know AZ would take him at #4. Nope, he won't be there, AND.....Washington isn't going to give up a future first to move up 1 spot. Doesn't matter if it's all bull****. It's all posturing, and the Bears have their own decisions to make with Fields.

If Chicago is sticking with Fields, want Harrison, and they want to move back. They need to sweat a little about what they are asking for IMO.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

You brought up GB, they have one of the best young teams in the NFL agree, Could they have traded up and took a shot at replacing Love when he was struggling? 

The beauty is we don't have to trade up.   We aren't talking about trading the farm to go up.  It sort of helps make the point.  It's a unique opportunity.  Teams don't trend to trade down when they are picking high and they need a QB.  I've not seen a single mock draft type push Washington to trade down from this pick -- why not -- because it would be unusual and weird especially for this franchise which has been living in QB hell for 30 plus years.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

How do you know they wouldn't have taken Stroud?

Part of the narrative ironically about the Bears taking a QB this time is they can't do this twice.  The first time it was because they already drafted Fields top 10 and wanted to give him time.  Fields has flashed some but its far from slam dunk that he's the answer.

Simply put, teams rarely trade down when they are picking high when they need a QB unless they think they have the QB in house.

Screen Shot 2024-01-11 at 8.33.38 AM.png

True they could have taken Stroud but they chose not too and it's remains to see if that was a mistake, but it was a choice. Houston it a homerun and if The Bears or Carolina picked Stroud maybe Houston passes on Young too. Many ways to go about the draft no 100% or Guarantee's it's the right choice. This all sounds just like the RG3 talk before the draft you have to get the top QB no other way, if he is there. How did that work out? The ball is in the Bears court they have the no.1 pick and so far looks like they made some good choices. Hope we do too. 

• Confused 1

Id only trade down with the Pats at 3 if I liked Maye and Daniels equally and wanted a few extra picks in exchange for letting the Pats take who they want. 

But me personally I much prefer Maye. Hes way cleaner and has no major red flags. He basically checks every possible box.

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The beauty is we don't have to trade up.   We aren't talking about trading the farm to go up.  It sort of helps make the point.  It's a unique opportunity.  Teams don't trend to trade down when they are picking high and they need a QB.  I've not seen a single mock draft type push Washington to trade down from this pick -- why not -- because it would be unusual and weird especially for this franchise which has been living in QB hell for 30 plus years.

I am not saying Maye is not the pick, just not 100% at this point to say he is the only option. I agree it's been living hell at QB, we also have swung and missed a couple of times too. And have won 3 SB without a top QB even if that was years ago. It's RG3 all over again we have too.?

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

I am not saying Maye is not the pick, just not 100% at this point to say he is the only option. I agree it's been living hell at QB, we also have swung and missed a couple of times too. And have won 3 SB without a top QB even if that was years ago. It's RG3 all over again we have too.?

It isnt RG3 all over again because Maye is a cleaner prospect and we dont have to trade up and mortgage our future.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

There is literally no parallel with the RG3 year/trade or the glory years. You’ve gotta shift the lens through which you’re viewing this. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

11 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

It isn't RG3 all over again because Maye is a cleaner prospect and we dont have to trade up and mortgage our future.

That's not what they said back then RG3 can make all the throws run's a 4.3. There was more hype for RG3 everybody was buzzing about him experts, media R.Skin fans..... They all said  you have to go get the QB, if you have the chance. So we have the no.2 pick everybody is saying how often do we get this pick, it has to be Maye. it is the same but different. All I am saying is do not get locked in on one player their are choices, It's not 100%.

Edited by skinsfan66
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

We for decades we've talked about on draft threads about trading up for this or that QB because the QB we covet is unlikely to fall to our pick.  And we've mostly been picking over the left overs at the Qb spot.

For RG3 we traded the moon to get to the spot we are at right now.  It flamed out but even so it still was our one dose of NFL relevance and electricity as a franchise so it was far from a disaster.  If we got RG3 without using three first rounders and a 2nd, it would been fine considering context.  But giving up the farm was a tough pill to swallow.

This is a unique opportunity that is extremely rare for this franchise.  The odds are very low that they blow off the opportunity.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

38 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

That's not what they said back then RG3 can make all the throws run's a 4.3. There was more hype for RG3 everybody was buzzing about him experts, media R.Skin fans..... They all said  you have to go get the QB, if you have the chance. So we have the no.2 pick everybody is saying how often do we get this pick, it has to be Maye. it is the same but different. All I am saying is do not get locked in on one player their are choices, It's not 100%.

Nobody disagrees that the GM should consider all options, you’re arguing against a strawman.

Almost everyone is saying that the obvious logical outcome that will 96% happen is taking the potential franchise QB. Coming up with reasons to be afraid of that outcome is just not worth it. Every guy has a bust risk. You talking about a guy we traded the farm for 12 years ago is pointless. You talking about winning super bowls without franchise QBs 35+ years ago is pointless. It’s 2023 2024 (damn!)

Edited by Conn
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, skinsfan66 said:

There are a whole lot of teams out there that wished they had not drafted a QB at the top, The Panthers being one

26 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

True they could have taken Stroud but they chose not too and it's remains to see if that was a mistake

You seem to be willing to acknowledge that the writing is on the wall for young but not Stroud.

I don't think there's a talent evaluator in the nfl who wouldn't take Stroud over fields right now so if you're going to say they were smart not to take young you should at least acknowledge it was a mistake not to take stroud.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Conn said:

Nobody disagrees that the GM should consider all options, you’re arguing against a strawman.

Almost everyone is saying that the obvious logical outcome that will 96% happen is taking the potential franchise QB. Coming up with reasons to be afraid of that outcome is just not worth it. Every guy has a bust risk. You talking about a guy we traded the farm for 12 years ago is pointless. You talking about winning super bowls without franchise QBs 35+ years ago is pointless. It’s 2023. 

No this started with the 100% or Guarantee post's Maye is who you have to take. I said there are choices just make the right one and not just Maye at 100% and gave example's. Did we not strike out a couple other times? And we are talking about a pick worth the farm, so do not get locked in at 100% for 1 QB. That's it.

15 minutes ago, Conn said:

Almost everyone is saying that the obvious logical outcome that will 96% happen is taking the potential franchise QB. Coming up with reasons to be afraid of that outcome is just not worth it. Every guy has a bust risk. You talking about a guy we traded the farm for 12 years ago is pointless. You talking about winning super bowls without franchise QBs 35+ years ago is pointless. It’s 2023. 

Sorry, but your entire point is null and void because it has been 2024 for 11 days now. 

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, redskinss said:

You seem to be willing to acknowledge that the writing is on the wall for young but not Stroud.

I don't think there's a talent evaluator in the nfl who wouldn't take Stroud over fields right now so if you're going to say they were smart not to take young you should at least acknowledge it was a mistake not to take stroud.

What I am saying also is some teams make the right pick and some do not or choices like the Bears. My response is Maye is or should not be a 100%. In the end I hope they make the right choice. How do you know Maye doesn't turn out like Young if he is the QB we have to take? 

26 minutes ago, Conn said:

I agree with you absent the fact it appears as though you can't read a calendar. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

What I am saying also is some teams make the right pick and some do not or choices like the Bears. My response is Maye is or should not be a 100%. In the end I hope they make the right choice. How do you know Maye doesn't turn out like Young if he is the QB we have to take? 

you're correct, I don't know and I also hope they take the right one.

I'm not an evaluator, I go by the eye test off their highlights which is about as unscientific as it comes and then off the opinion of the experts, and they are often wrong as well.

But if the majority of the experts say maye is the pick then that's the one I'm gonna get my hopes up for (assuming williams is gone at 2) but I don't really have a horse in the race because I don't do extensive personal evaluation my opinion is almost always formed off the popular opinion and right now that's by far and away williams/maye and it seems to have been that way for 2 years at least which means it's not likely to change much by draft day.

Edited by redskinss

7 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

We do not have a time machine, so all you can do is play the percentages.

Nobody disagrees there’s a bust risk. There always is. Nobody think the GM should be blind to other options. They’ll cover every single possible scenario in the lead-up to the draft.

So you’re arguing against no one and repeating yourself for no reason. Everyone is just talking about the (by far) most likely scenario. New GM. New HC and staff. #2 overall pick. Good QB prospect. It’s not rocket science. You’re shouting into the wind over nothing.

• Thanks 1