Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 NFL Draft Position/Tracker - Final Pick #2

zCommander

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

If you wait 3 years then those young players are already 3 years into their rookie deals and will be in need of extensions. You won't be able to keep everyone. And you're wasting the prime years of guys like McLaurin, Allen, Payne etc.

When you have a shot at a top notch QB you have to go for it. I don't want us to repeat the same mistake we made in 2020 when we passed on not one, not two, but three franchise QB types(maybe four if Love pans out)to take a DE who hasn't even 10 sacks in a year yet and got traded for a 3rd round pick 3 years later.

Get the QB and lets try to actually be a competitive team in modern football.

Yes, agreed. IF that QB is someone the FO thinks is the franchise QB. If we're at #2, following the hype and media, Drake Maye is likely that guy. But if we're at #3, and Maye and Caleb are off the board, I'm not sure if this FO thinks Jayden Daniels is the guy. At least there's no consensus yet in the media (however accurate that is).

I would rather build the team and address QB later if this FO isn't sold on the QB options. We just won't know until we get closer to the draft or even after the draft if that's the case. I do not want this FO to draft a QB because we have to, simply because some think he could be the future franchise QB. This FO has to be bought in, because if you draft the wrong QB without a team build around them, you set yourself back several years. I will support what this FO wants, but I don't think you have to draft a QB in the Top 5 this year, especially if there's some hope inside the building that Sam could be the guy. And if he's not, at least you used the pick to build the team around him and hopefully trade back a bit to add future draft capital to let you get aggressive. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Nix is another older guy. Will be 24 at the start of his rookie season.

That's one big downside I have with this year's QB class. They're all on the older side. Daniels and Penix jr will also be 24 at some point in their rookie season.

One of the reasons I'm high on Maye is that he'll be 22 his rookie year. Those extra two years are huge.

Not sure I’m bothered about that at QB these days. Does it really matter ?

Just now, Est.1974 said:

It might actually make Nix more ready to start Week 1. The concern would be that he's already closer to his ceiling. I agree that an additional year of age probably doesn't make a huge difference. It's different than that Carolina guy (name escapes me) who didn't enter the league until he was 25 or so.

18 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Absolutely it does.

1. It means they're already closer to their ceiling. The upside isn't quite as high.

2. It also takes away from their college performance. There is a difference between a 20-21 year old dominating college and a 23 year old. Those extra 2-3 years are huge for development.

You wanna maximize your window with a QB. And its even more so true if you're going for a guy who is reliant on athleticism and mobility(as is the case for Daniels).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

There is no guarantee we'll have a shot at a QB in 2026

This. The reason you would go QB in this draft is because you are actually picking high enough to do it. Also the top 4-5 QB's are better than anything coming out next year. If we were picking in the middle of the pack, like we usually are, I would probably stick with Sam and build the rest of the team. But we wont be. Need to take advantage of our draft position this year.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

This. The reason you would go QB in this draft is because you are actually picking high enough to do it. Also the top 4-5 QB's are better than anything coming out next year. If we were picking in the middle of the pack, like we usually are, I would probably stick with Sam and build the rest of the team. But we wont be. Need to take advantage of our draft position this year.

Maybe, but Quinn Ewers, Carson Beck and Shadeur Sanders could all be considered Top 5 picks at this time next year. So much can change from year to year. But I also understand we may not be in the conversation for said QB next year. It's rare to pick in the Top 5 and have access to these caliber of QBs.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I do think the conversation completely flips if we get to the #2 pick. Where my questions come into play is at #3 or #4 when it's about Jayden Daniels. 

For sure. I don't love Daniels but after watching Lamar Jackson this year, and remembering the thrill and joy of RG3 in 2012, I wouldn't totally hate it.

Just gotta pair him with the right coach. I think RG3 and Kyle Shanahan was a great fit but the injury was unfortunate and then the egos and owner meddling was too much.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

For sure. I don't love Daniels but after watching Lamar Jackson this year, and remembering the thrill and joy of RG3 in 2012, I wouldn't totally hate it.

Just gotta pair him with the right coach. I think RG3 and Kyle Shanahan was a great fit but the injury was unfortunate and then the egos and owner meddling was too much.

Right. And if this FO isn't totally sold on Jayden Daniels, I'd rather turn that pick over to someone who is. Whether we go QB in R2 or trade back into R1 to get one is a different discussion if that plays out. Maybe the FO likes Nix and or Penix and feels comfortable going after them later to compete with Howell. 

39 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Maybe, but Quinn Ewers, Carson Beck and Shadeur Sanders could all be considered Top 5 picks at this time next year. So much can change from year to year. But I also understand we may not be in the conversation for said QB next year. It's rare to pick in the Top 5 and have access to these caliber of QBs.

Everybody is talking Daniels, where was he before the season started? 

13 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

If we get a Ben Johnson and Drake Maye type combination we could win 10 in 2024.

That's your guess?

Edited by skinsfan66

15 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I do think the conversation completely flips if we get to the #2 pick. Where my questions come into play is at #3 or #4 when it's about Jayden Daniels. 

I am not a Daniels guy either. But if thats the direction the new staff want to go I am fine with it.

• Like 1

**** this,  I don't want Daniels anywhere near this team if we can draft a QB.   He's a injury prone just waiting to happen in the NFL....he will not survive,  I'm pretty sure of it.   He's not like Lamar Jackson, Daniels is too skinny.  Lamar has a larger frame is also injured pretty much every season.    If we go QB,   it's Drake Maye or no one in the top rounds for me.    

16 minutes ago, srtman04 said:

**** this,  I don't want Daniels anywhere near this team if we can draft a QB.   He's a injury prone just waiting to happen in the NFL....he will not survive,  I'm pretty sure of it.   He's not like Lamar Jackson, Daniels is too skinny.  Lamar has a larger frame is also injured pretty much every season.    If we go QB,   it's Drake Maye or no one in the top rounds for me.    

Yeah I like Maye as well. If we're at 3 or 4 I'd consider trading up to get him. He has all the physical tools but also has that cold killer cyborg persona that always works well in the NFL.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Fields stinks but he'll probably garner at least a 3rd from some sucker team

Talk a few weeks ago on SXM centered around a cumulative 1st. Whether that's a pair of 2's or a low-1st this year, that's what they were centering their discussion on. The gist was the Bears did not support Fields and in the right environment he could flourish. Atlanta was mentioned as a potential destination. 

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins

4 hours ago, Redskins 2021 said:

Team will probably be rebuilding for about 2 years. I expect us to be bad the next 2 seasons.

what is your definition of bad? We won at least 4 games this year with a terrible roster that completely gave up. This exact group of losers with better coaching, playcalling, and clock management, and actually bought into what the staff is selling, could have easily won 7-8 games. A younger, faster, hungrier roster that is schematically and fundamentally sound, with a locker room that’s bought in, playing a 4th place schedule, could very well approach .500 and fight for a wildcard spot. And that’s not even assuming we succeed at the QB/playcaller marriage. If we do (with a draft pick or Howell) then the ceiling and floor are higher. 

You can tear this roster down and turn it over with 10 draft picks and heavy usage of UDFA and $100M in cap space and  STILL make more progress and be more competitive than this team was in ‘23, even if you go super young. So I don’t really agree they are destined to be “bad” if by bad you mean 4-6 wins or less. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, profusion said:

It might actually make Nix more ready to start Week 1. The concern would be that he's already closer to his ceiling. I agree that an additional year of age probably doesn't make a huge difference. It's different than that Carolina guy (name escapes me) who didn't enter the league until he was 25 or so.

That was Chris Weinke, and he played baseball until he was 25 yo and then went to Florida State at age 25.  He was drafted by the Panthers in 2001 and was actually 29 years old when the season started.