Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The measure of success thread

my_friend_goo

As an attempt to re-engage with this forum and the team (I've only ever been a fly-by poster here and silent for some time as i found myself losing interest), I thought I'd try to bring a new angle to discussions on the changes going on with the team with the new ownership.

The purpose of this thread is to capture a list of all the things we'd like to see this organisation achieve under the ownership of the Harris group, then cross them off when they've been reached. I'll maintain a list in this post.

The idea isn't to debate topics here, there's plenty of other threads ongoing for that. Rather, to define easily measurable goals. There was so much wrong with the previous ownership that I'm sure there's a sizeable list to make. Some can happen quickly, others may take some years to come into fruition.

So, while we should all consider winning a superbowl the number one objective (and for many of us, the only one that really matters), it's far from the only thing that will show the team is moving in the right direction, or that the task of bringing a passionate fanbase back to strength. I'll start with a few examples to get the ball rolling (no claims to being the originator to any of these, I've seen these mentioned plenty of times in various other threads). Some bars I'll set low, but there's a big climb ahead and the bar can be raised once the lower limit is beaten. Other goals may get missed, and I'll track those, too.

The ES list of goals for the Washington Commanders under The Harris Group ownership

1. Win 11 or more games in a season.

2. Rank in the top half of the league in attendance.

3. Return the team to DC.

4. Initiate a rebrand or refresh of existing brand to better overall reception and improved merchandise sales.

5. Acquire or develop a long term starter at QB who is perennially ranked top 10.

6. Install a new front office, starting with hiring a true GM with a clear vision.

7. Attract a highly desired head coaching prospect that fits the GM's vision for the team.

8. Build a state of the art stadium with a gameday experience ranking in the top half of the league.

9. Increase in younger generations in fan demographic breakdown. 

Remember,  the list doesn't just have to cover winning games, it can cover anything neglected or done badly by the previous ownership. So short term improvement to training facilities and the stadium are good examples, but I'd welcome suggestions on specifics as to how to measure. I'd also appreciate help with identifying when we can consider the goals to have been achieved. 

Edited by my_friend_goo

29 minutes ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

1.  Fix the rebrand. 

Everything else is secondary.  They could win a Super Bowl and it still won't matter as much as correcting the name. It'll always be Dan's expansion team until it's corrected. 

I'm with you on this one, held off on including this in my initial list as I wanted some discussion on what "fixing" entails. I'm not going to put everyone's favourite name suggestion as a goal because there's so many differing opinions and a whole thread dedicated to it. However, what we do know:

- ES poll stands at 90% "hate it" on the Commanders name

- merchandise sales were amongst the worst in the league following the rebrand - ie no rebrand boost of people buying in.

- No obvious love for the away jerseys and mixed to negative views on the black colour scheme. 

I think a commitment from the ownership to brand improvement in one way or other, coupled with a boost in sales signifies success. Whether that means sticking with the current name but doing a better job with the branding, or full name change. 

1. Fix the front office structure. We need quality people on the business side. We need a top Gm on the personnel side.

2. Starting in 24, the head coach is only a coach with no other duties. Ron wants to a return, he will no longer have those other powers.

3. When we finally move on from Ron, get an offensive minded coach.  

You can go on but those are keys to success.

Edited by 88Comrade2000
  • Thumb up 1

I would like to see 98+% home attendance. 

Somehow, we were 86% last year.  I thought it would've been below that, and it still ranked dead last by a mile, but we know it also included a lot of no shows and opposing fans.  

https://www.espn.com/nfl/attendance

We are only 20th in capacity, so I think getting close to 100% is attainable.  13 teams were at 100%+ last year.  

https://sports.betmgm.com/en/blog/nfl-largest-stadiums/

I want to see Fed Ex sold out with burgundy and gold in the stands, not the other teams colors.  My second measurable goal would be  ZERO negative stories of misconduct of any kind from our front office.  Those 2 are my short term goals.  A playoff appearance would be nice, but a higher draft pick and coaching changes may be best for the long haul, so that's not as high on my list for 2023 as the other 2 I mentioned. 

A state of the art stadium in DC, and winning ON the field, are my long term goals.

If my daughters want to take pride in being Commanders fans versus embarrased to be associated that means it's working...my Dad didn't force me, he waited to see what'd happened and left the door open every Sunday.

Saying stuff like "winning a championship" or " full brand new stadium" is like what they are supposed to do, that's supposed to be their goals same as any other franchise.  Our franchise, however has gone through a very different set of circumstances the last couple years then others.

We've lost at least two generations worth of fans...any true success will be measured around turning that around goin forward.

11 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

Find a FRANCHISE QB should be quite high on the list. 

Absolutely. Acquire or develop a long term starter at QB who is perennially ranked top 10.

Sustained success is what we should aspire to. A Manning-Denver or Brady-Tampa scenario may lead to short-term success, but after over 30 years of predominantly mediocrity, a new long-lasting era is the best way to bring this team back from the dead.

When people talk about "opposing fan takeovers," they primarily see the concentration of opposing fans in the lower section behind the visitors bench. I think that's always going to be the case as long as we're at FedEx.  Club level attendance improved greatly last year with the lower prices, and it'll be interesting to see if upper level attendance can improve.

As far as team performance, we will eventually win 11+ games in a season. The law of averages dictates it has to happen relatively soon, and its also easier with the 17th game.

As Goo just posted, some sort of sustained success is what we want. I don't think I'm ever going to see anything like the Pats had with Brady in my lifetime, and I don't even expect this team to match what the Chiefs have done with Mahomes over the past five years. But maybe something like the Eagles, Packers, or Saints had.

• Thumb up 1

11 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

1. Fix the front office structure. We need quality people on the business side. We need a top Gm on the personnel side.

2. Starting in 24, the head coach is only a coach with no other duties. Ron wants to a return, he will no longer have those other powers.

3. When we finally move on from Ron, get an offensive minded coach.  

You can go on but those are keys to success.

Added. I've focused on the true GM model that has been sorely lacking and for which I've seen people clamouring for the whole time I've been a member here (about 15 years I think).

For coach, I'm thinking landing a sought-after prospect. The type we've seen leave here in the past, or would have had no chance of attracting over other more desirable teams.

To me, a fail would be more of the same - retreads or settling for lower tier prospects, with continued mediocre results. A return to winning without achieving either wouldn't be a failure, I'd consider not achieved but not necessary in this case.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, KillBill26 said:

I would like to see 98+% home attendance. 

Somehow, we were 86% last year.  I thought it would've been below that, and it still ranked dead last by a mile, but we know it also included a lot of no shows and opposing fans.  

https://www.espn.com/nfl/attendance

We are only 20th in capacity, so I think getting close to 100% is attainable.  13 teams were at 100%+ last year.  

https://sports.betmgm.com/en/blog/nfl-largest-stadiums/

I want to see Fed Ex sold out with burgundy and gold in the stands, not the other teams colors.  My second measurable goal would be  ZERO negative stories of misconduct of any kind from our front office.  Those 2 are my short term goals.  A playoff appearance would be nice, but a higher draft pick and coaching changes may be best for the long haul, so that's not as high on my list for 2023 as the other 2 I mentioned. 

A state of the art stadium in DC, and winning ON the field, are my long term goals.

Yep, % attendance should be the measure and as much of it for the home team as possible.

Stories of misconduct is a harder one to quantify. The ones we've heard of in recent times have taken years to come out. I'd imagine that organisational conduct would be under close scrutiny, but I'd hate to see 5 years pass with no negative reports of a topic workplace, only for it all to come out in year 6.

I'll add the stadium. I'm separating the stadium from a return to DC. The whole shebang would be incredible, but delivering a state of the art stadium with a highly ranked gameday experience will be a substantial improvement regardless of where it's located (within reason, of course).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

If my daughters want to take pride in being Commanders fans versus embarrased to be associated that means it's working...my Dad didn't force me, he waited to see what'd happened and left the door open every Sunday.

Saying stuff like "winning a championship" or " full brand new stadium" is like what they are supposed to do, that's supposed to be their goals same as any other franchise.  Our franchise, however has gone through a very different set of circumstances the last couple years then others.

We've lost at least two generations worth of fans...any true success will be measured around turning that around goin forward.

I've put a placeholder in - need to think more about how to measure it. The anecdotal evidence is there, no doubt. But having a recent baseline of level of support from younger fans to measure against is the only way to really confirm. 

• Like 1

No broken handicapped railings, no spraying poo on people, some of our fans in the stands the second half of the season.

This is a throw away year.

See what we have in Howell and pray our garbage can collection of an Oline doesn't break him. Is Chase Young legit and worth the big contract that's coming.

The on field product isn't super important this year. It's all about brand and fan support and bringing heritage players back around.