Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

Posted (edited)

I rewatched the Peters draft day conversation with the players and heck even in his initial conversation he mentioned guard or tackle directly to Coleman -- both spots.  

So clearly its on their mind it can go either way with him.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

49 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I think both OT spots are an issue. The discussion point was specifically the merits of Coleman starting at LT. Different conversation.

Again, though, it’s not. 

Why can’t Coleman be our RT?

I understand you’re saying that the discussion was about “Coleman LT” and not “Coleman” and “LT” as separate entities. But I don’t think the conversation needs to be confined like that. That’s too binary of a viewpoint. 

Anyways…

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

Again, though, it’s not. 

I understand you’re saying that the discussion was about “Coleman LT” and not “Coleman” and “LT” as separate entities. But I don’t think the conversation needs to be confined like that. That’s too binary of a viewpoint. 

Anyways…

We probably need a couple different Coleman threads.

• Haha 4

Posted (edited)

Rookie Wide Receivers to Avoid Drafting in Fantasy Based on Yards Per Route Run Analytic Trend

I love trends.

They are interesting, often surprising, and can sometimes be predictive of future outcomes. One example that comes to mind is the statistical failures of almost any quarterback who has played for the New York Jets. The team hasn’t had a single 4,000-yard passer since 1967 (Joe Namath), and that list includes Brett Favre, Aaron Rodgers, and top-10 draft picks like Mark Sanchez, Sam Darnold, and Zach Wilson.

There are several other trends, too, like the “Curse of Barry Sanders” (maybe Jahmyr Gibbs will break it), the failures of USC quarterbacks at the NFL level, and the recent success of LSU wide receivers in the pros. I could list many other similar examples, but you get the point.

Last week, my buddy Scott Barrett from Fantasy Points unearthed a new and exciting trend surrounding wideouts. His research showed that receivers who had a career yards per route run average below 2.00 in college have rarely made a major statistical impact at the NFL level.

As Scott points out, there have been more than 2,000 FBS receivers who have left college with a career YPRR average below 2.00 since 2015. Among them, a total of 82 players were drafted by an NFL team.

Of those 82 receivers, just two, DK Metcalf and Terry McLaurin, “could be classified as non-busts.” Scott points out that both have had multiple seasons with averages of at least 11.5 fantasy points per game, making them fantasy assets. But outside of Metcalf and McLaurin, this trend has been extremely sticky … we’re talking about a 2% success rate.................

Edited by FrFan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, KDawg said:

Well he can I suppose. A couple of posts back you said Lucas was best suited at RT so Coleman at RT wasn’t a previous suggestion of yours. Maybe I missed that. Either way, yep they could be our starting OT tandem one way or the other.

12 hours ago, FrFan said:

Rookie Wide Receivers to Avoid Drafting in Fantasy Based on Yards Per Route Run Analytic Trend

I love trends.

They are interesting, often surprising, and can sometimes be predictive of future outcomes. One example that comes to mind is the statistical failures of almost any quarterback who has played for the New York Jets. The team hasn’t had a single 4,000-yard passer since 1967 (Joe Namath), and that list includes Brett Favre, Aaron Rodgers, and top-10 draft picks like Mark Sanchez, Sam Darnold, and Zach Wilson.

There are several other trends, too, like the “Curse of Barry Sanders” (maybe Jahmyr Gibbs will break it), the failures of USC quarterbacks at the NFL level, and the recent success of LSU wide receivers in the pros. I could list many other similar examples, but you get the point.

Last week, my buddy Scott Barrett from Fantasy Points unearthed a new and exciting trend surrounding wideouts. His research showed that receivers who had a career yards per route run average below 2.00 in college have rarely made a major statistical impact at the NFL level.

As Scott points out, there have been more than 2,000 FBS receivers who have left college with a career YPRR average below 2.00 since 2015. Among them, a total of 82 players were drafted by an NFL team.

Of those 82 receivers, just two, DK Metcalf and Terry McLaurin, “could be classified as non-busts.” Scott points out that both have had multiple seasons with averages of at least 11.5 fantasy points per game, making them fantasy assets. But outside of Metcalf and McLaurin, this trend has been extremely sticky … we’re talking about a 2% success rate.................

Thanks for this, interesting advanced metric I've not seen much of before...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was reading through the coverage of Patriots camps to see how they were liking Drake Maye, and I think I missed in Ja'Lynn Polk.  Had him in the 70s, he ended up going the pick after Newton at 37 and my first thought was that's a reach.  Now I'm not sure.  They've been racing about him like our coaches and media guys did about McLaurin after his first camps.  I thought well I remember liking him but didn't necessarily see special with him, went back and took another look, and now I can kind of see it.  Ridiculously good hands catcher, good route runner, good in traffic, great toughness, and he's a little bigger than I originally thought.  I guess I didn't realize just how inaccurate Penix could be, and just how often Polk bailed him out.  I think he's going to end up being the McLaurin of this year's WR class.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I was reading through the coverage of Patriots camps to see how they were liking Drake Maye, and I think I missed in Ja'Lynn Polk.  Had him in the 70s, he ended up going the pick after Newton at 37 and my first thought was that's a reach.  Now I'm not sure.  They've been racing about him like our coaches and media guys did about McLaurin after his first camps.  I thought well I remember liking him but didn't necessarily see special with him, went back and took another look, and now I can kind of see it.  Ridiculously good hands catcher, good route runner, good in traffic, great toughness, and he's a little bigger than I originally thought.  I guess I didn't realize just how inaccurate Penix could be, and just how often Polk bailed him out.  I think he's going to end up being the McLaurin of this year's WR class.

What did they say about Drake?

1 minute ago, Anselmheifer said:

What did they say about Drake?

Surprisingly little TBH.  Just the usual stuff about how he elevates his teammates and puts in all of the extra work you want to see.  Their expectations about him seem pretty muted compared to the way our fanbase and beat media look to Jayden Daniels to be a franchise savior.  The buzz is mostly just curiosity about when Maye will eventually start.  I think part of it is the Celtics are going on a title run, and they're also cautious coming off the end of the Belichick era and the failure of Mac Jones.  Maybe it's because they had Brady for so long that they don't really know what the QB wilderness is like any more, but they don't seem to obsess over QB like we do.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

He was on my guys list this year.  One of my top 20 fav players in this draft.

Came off to me like a baller, physical-- contested catches, strong hands. Big plays in big moments.  Has some Pierre Garcon to his game albiet not as fast.  Prides himself for his work ethic and being a tone setter.